Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 17 2013, 05:42 PM   #1066
Eddie Roth
Commodore

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I remember distinctly that in 1992, when I first got into Trek, there were many people who referred to TNG as "New Trek" or "the new series" or something to that effect. There was no talk of a "franchise". I suppose that happened around the time that VGR premiered, no? After all, that was when three "generations" were active at the same time across TV and theaters.
Eddie Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 02:38 AM   #1067
mswood
Rear Admiral

Trek was referred to as a "franchise" or the "franchise" before DS9 or Voyager. It easily could have been called that before TNG's run (which I believe is true).

At the time of the late 70's to early eighties Trek was huge on national daily stripping, and since actors, writers, directors only got residuals for a handful of broadcasts it was all pure profit for Paramount.

You even had studio people refer to Trek has a being money printer. All profit at no costs, besides the initial purchase from Desilu.

Then teh film franchise started, and while TOS films were never huge, they were very solid dependable performers and until new Trek arrived each was in the top ten of the year it was released.

During those two decades no other property was successful in both sides of the visual entertainment industry.

Of course when TNG arrived, in steadily grew to becoem a huge national program, generated millions, but it also hit the profitability of TOS reruns (which took a sizable ratings hit and never recovered), and the Trek films never again when new Trek aired performed strong enough to be a top ten performer.

And as crazy as it sounds TNG at least in teh first couple years probably hit TOS reruns hard enough that the tv side of Trek probably made less money then before TNG aired. again TOS cost nothing to make tens of millions every year. While at first TNG, wasn't a huge as it it become, and at was an expensive program at the time.
Old June 18 2013, 11:10 PM   #1068
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Eddie Roth wrote: View Post
I remember distinctly that in 1992, when I first got into Trek, there were many people who referred to TNG as "New Trek" or "the new series" or something to that effect. There was no talk of a "franchise". I suppose that happened around the time that VGR premiered, no? After all, that was when three "generations" were active at the same time across TV and theaters.
No, I remember ST being referred to as a franchise years before. At least during TNG's run and, I suspect, long before.
Old June 19 2013, 08:55 PM   #1069
Jadin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just saw Yesterday's Enterprise. What an episode.
Jadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 09:03 PM   #1070
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

We're finally catching up (at least, a little bit)! Here's our first two entries into the SD-to-HD comparison project for Season 3, best watched in 1080p for full effect.

Star Trek TNG S3 Remastered - SD to HD: "Evolution" - YouTube

Star Trek TNG S3 Remastered - SD to HD: "The Ensigns of Command" - YouTube
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 07:09 PM   #1071
MickJo1701
Commander

Finished re watching BoBW and a certain shot of the Enterprise's lighting pass caught my eye, any idea what's going on here?

MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 09:17 PM   #1072
Ghostface1701
Commander

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
Finished re watching BoBW and a certain shot of the Enterprise's lighting pass caught my eye, any idea what's going on here?

Hmm, I don't know, but I like the new version! A lot of the remastered lighting reminds me of how the ship looked in Generations, which is no bad thing in my eyes.

I'm almost at the end of the boxset, and I've noticed a couple of things. In The Most Toys, I'd never noticed that Fajo sheds a single tear as he tells Data the fake story of his tragic upbringing. It's a nice little piece of acting from Fajo and Saul Rubinek (who, to be frank, was much better in the role than David Rappaport).

In Ménage à Troi, the new space shots of Betazed are lovely, except for one. When Deanna visits her mother in her quarters on Enterprise, Deanna's dress changes from blue in one shot to green in another. I know the original reason was because of the blue-screen work in that particular shot, but it could've easily been corrected for the remaster.

Here's the SD version of this shot, which actually matches the rest of the scene better than the remaster:

Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 10:00 PM   #1073
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I think it looks great. The darker lighting helps to minimize the "cheapness" of the 4-footer. And I agree with GhostFace1701, the darkness reminds me of the Ent-D in Generations which looked great.

CBS-D similarly did a great job with shots like this:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...d_12_large.jpg

SD - it looks like a model. HD - it looks like a starship.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 11:16 PM   #1074
MickJo1701
Commander

jimbotron wrote: View Post
I think it looks great. The darker lighting helps to minimize the "cheapness" of the 4-footer. And I agree with GhostFace1701, the darkness reminds me of the Ent-D in Generations which looked great.

CBS-D similarly did a great job with shots like this:

SD - it looks like a model. HD - it looks like a starship.
Absolutely, I love this establishing shot. The Enterprise looks great and the dark lighting hides the flaws of the 4 foot model. But its not the lighting in the scene, its the motion blur on internal lighting and glow elements that look a little off. I wouldn't dare criticise CBS-D's frankly sublime remastering quality.
Old June 23 2013, 11:22 PM   #1075
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

I thought that was odd too. There appears to be too much directional blur on the deflector and windows. But also, the lighting is noticeably different between them. In the original SD version, look closely at the shadow being cast by the left nacelle onto the support strut beneath it. Now, look at the HD version... no shadow. The backlight is lower. There are other lighting inconsistencies as well. The angle is also subtly different -- the camera is ever so slightly lower in the HD version. This appears to be an alternate VFX take. I guess they weren't able to find the original shot.

But like the alternate takes of Riker on the battle bridge that were used in BOBW II, I'd prefer this to an upscale or CG recreation.
Old June 23 2013, 11:35 PM   #1076
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
I thought that was odd too. There appears to be too much directional blur on the deflector and windows. But also, the lighting is noticeably different between them. In the original SD version, look closely at the shadow being cast by the left nacelle onto the support strut beneath it. Now, look at the HD version... no shadow. The backlight is lower. There are other lighting inconsistencies as well. The angle is also subtly different -- the camera is ever so slightly lower in the HD version. This appears to be an alternate VFX take. I guess they weren't able to find the original shot..
For a number of the ship fly-by shots (especially in Seasons 4 and 5), they were missing elements. Where possible they've used alternate takes which match the original closely or CG substitution if necessary.
Old June 24 2013, 12:03 AM   #1077
MickJo1701
Commander

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
For a number of the ship fly-by shots (especially in Seasons 4 and 5), they were missing elements. Where possible they've used alternate takes which match the original closely or CG substitution if necessary.
If the new CGI substitutions are just as good as the shot of the Enterprise approaching Saturn in BoBW then all is well, that looks as close to the original model work as they can get.

The stock shots in Season 4 I have a particular interest in seeing, I wonder if MV were supplied with the elements CBS-D use or did they have to composite them from scratch like HTV had to?
Old June 24 2013, 12:07 AM   #1078
Dream
Admiral

The stock shots in Season 4 I have a particular interest in seeing, I wonder if MV were supplied with the elements CBS-D use or did they have to composite them from scratch like HTV had to?
I hope CBS-D learned their lesson about not supplying the elements means rush job from the other guy.
Old June 24 2013, 08:48 AM   #1079
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

If the new CGI substitutions are just as good as the shot of the Enterprise approaching Saturn in BoBW then all is well, that looks as close to the original model work as they can get.

Oh certainly as good. When I visited CBS-D, I was shown several S5 fly-by shots which were thoroughly impressive only to be told afterwards that they're CG. They have done an amazing job in perfecting their CG.

I wouldn't have too many concerns about your last point. They seem to be far more "complete" in their shared elements, for instance the starbase shots from "Remember Me" (reproduced from "11001001") are just as beautiful, but with a nice bit of difference.
Old June 25 2013, 12:59 AM   #1080
davejames
Vice Admiral

So wait, they actually created a CG version of the 4-footer as well? Because that would be pretty impressive.

Or was this just an improved version of the 6-footer we saw before?
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote