Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old June 21 2013, 07:14 AM   #211
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

But the big three and all those loyal fans who left early on Tuesday got rewarded. Doesn't that give you warm fuzzies and snuggles? Miami's just so humble and cuddly.

Think about it, though. How long can Wade's knees hold out? Not much longer. At least when my Thunder lost it was due to them not matching up well, and them not having a strong enough inside game and just generally not being as good as the Heat. Thunders wins one, Heat win four straight. That's the way it goes.

San Antonio had the fuckers from South Beach beat. They had the championship grazing their fingertips even though they were old, somewhat rickety and not as talented from top to bottom of the roster. They had it. The podium was on its way down the hall on to the court. The tape was there. All they needed was a made free throw and an offensive rebound at the other end of the floor.. They were up by 5 with 28 seconds to go to a championship. Miami wasn't going to come up with some miracle.

San Antonio, you gave it away. This I knew on Tuesday, ergo I'm merely disgusted tonight. Not devastated. It's going to be a looooooong off season for the Spurs.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old June 21 2013, 08:37 AM   #212
Borgminister

4 out of 5 ain't bad. Duncan will be back for 1 or 2 more productive years. Lenard will be a beast. Pop will be coach.

I'm thinking Spurs-Bulls next year.
Old June 21 2013, 01:31 PM   #213
Neroon
Mod of balance

There is little doubt LeBron has shed the image of choker. He's not quite up to Jordan or Kobe levels yet, due to fewer championships and a lesser "killer" mentality like they had. BUT three straight finals and two straight titles, with sick averages for LeBron in the last two removes most of the legitimate reasons for the harangues.

San Antonio despite losing this one is still one of the elite franchises in NBA history. No doubt they are not happy with settling for placing second this year, but their place about the best of all time is secure.

I doubt I will ever be a real fan of the NBA, but this was a heckuva series, the kind a sports fan wants for a championship. Congrats to both teams!!!
Old June 21 2013, 07:45 PM   #214
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
They gave it away in game six and couldn't get it back. Miami rewarded again. Isn't it heartwarming?
Uh, no. The Spurs blew the series in game 4.That is when they ensured that in order to win the championship, they would need to win 2 games on the Heat's home floor. As I have written here before, when two teams are as evenly matched as these two were, don't expect either to lose two home games in the Finals.

You also seem to be laboring under the impression that the Heat are SO much more talented than the Spurs. This is a myth. Beyond LeBron, who do the Heat have to match Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, and Gary Neal? Shane Battier? Duncan is still a better center than Bosh. Parker is a better point guard than Chalmers.

This reminds me of what the haters used to do when the Lakers won. "Of course they won, look at all their talent". But when hater fan's team beat the Lakers it was, "that's cause all they have are Shaq and Kobe".
Think about it, though. How long can Wade's knees hold out? Not much longer. At least when my Thunder lost it was due to them not matching up well, and them not having a strong enough inside game and just generally not being as good as the Heat. Thunders wins one, Heat win four straight. That's the way it goes.
Wade needs to go the Germany and have the Orthokine treatments to his knees. Kobe had it done twice and last season he looked like he'd shed at least 5 years.
San Antonio had the fuckers from South Beach beat. They had the championship grazing their fingertips even though they were old, somewhat rickety and not as talented from top to bottom of the roster. They had it.
SA didn't have squat "beat". They stopped playing with 28 seconds more regulation game time. In the pressure cooker, when you are playing on the road against the defending champs, you can't stop playing until the final whistle. Had the Spurs been at home, they'd be celebrating a championship right now. They can thank their game 4 performance for their predicament.
Neroon wrote: View Post
There is little doubt LeBron has shed the image of choker. He's not quite up to Jordan or Kobe levels yet, due to fewer championships and a lesser "killer" mentality like they had. BUT three straight finals and two straight titles, with sick averages for LeBron in the last two removes most of the legitimate reasons for the harangues.
Agree. If you are who you say you are, then this is what you do; silence the haters on the court. If you love basketball, you have to at least respct LeBron.

Congrats to the Heat and LeBron. They played like champions.

Last edited by gblews; June 21 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old June 21 2013, 10:17 PM   #215
Borgminister

Having reflected on the series and stopped cursing about the Spurs letting game 6 go, I have to marvel at Duncan's longevity and productivity all these years later.

I still don't think that window has closed completely for this dynastic Spurs team. A strong summer training camp for Kawhi, recuperation for the oldsters, perhaps a T-Mac resurgence, and a tweak here or there, and there might be a part II.

At least that's what I'd like to think...
Old June 21 2013, 10:54 PM   #216
Sran
Commodore

Borgminister wrote: View Post
I still don't think that window has closed completely for this dynastic Spurs team. A strong summer training camp for Kawhi, recuperation for the oldsters, perhaps a T-Mac resurgence, and a tweak here or there, and there might be a part II.
I'd love to see McGrady play efectively again, but I don't think it's going to happen. He's already dropped hints he's done playing. It's a shame because he was every bit Kobe's equal when healthy and one of the top two or three players in the league.

--Sran
Old June 21 2013, 11:43 PM   #217
Ganja Tea
Rear Admiral

Haha to all you Heat haters. 305 baby. Suck it.
And I get just as HIGH as I want to be
Old June 22 2013, 01:20 AM   #218
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

This reminds me of what the haters used to do when the Lakers won. "Of course they won, look at all their talent". But when hater fan's team beat the Lakers it was, "that's cause all they have are Shaq and Kobe".
When did I ever say the Heat only have anybody? I wasn't aware that saying the Heat were the more talented team was being delusional or laboring under impression of a myth. Battier, Allen, the big three....they are more talented than the Spurs. The Heat came up big with their backs against the wall. Came up in spectacular fashion. Yes, they're better. They're a great deal better. Not wilting under pressure is indicative of supreme talent and confidence.

I hate the Heat, but they are significantly better.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old June 22 2013, 01:22 AM   #219
Sran
Commodore

Ganja Tea wrote: View Post
What does this even mean?

--Sran
Old June 22 2013, 03:03 PM   #220
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

305 area code. There's a T-Shirt that says:
Code:
 WAD3
LEBR0N
  BO5H
Anyway, I found this appropriate:

Heat Franchise Laughs in Nation's Stupid Fucking Faces

But also: Heat Fans Wake Up to Learn Team Won Game Seven
Old June 23 2013, 07:35 AM   #221
gblews
Rear Admiral

I love how "brave" fans such as yourself come busting into the thread talking shit after your team wins. Reminds me of Celtic fans.

When did I ever say the Heat only have anybody?
I don't know what this sentence means.
I wasn't aware that saying the Heat were the more talented team was being delusional or laboring under impression of a myth. Battier, Allen, the big three....they are more talented than the Spurs. The Heat came up big with their backs against the wall. Came up in spectacular fashion. Yes, they're better. They're a great deal better. Not wilting under pressure is indicative of supreme talent and confidence.

I hate the Heat, but they are significantly better.
From a talent standpoint, no, they're not that much better than the Spurs. Talent-wise, LeBron has no equal in the league. But beyond him the Spurs are the more talented team.

Going into the series Manu and Wade cancelled each other out. Duncan is a better center than Bosh, as I wrote, and Parker is better than any point guard the Heat have. Gary Neal, Kawhi Leonard, and Danny Green trump Battier and Ray Allen. The Spurs are more talented (despite what you've heard on TNT and ESPN), but only to a slight degree.

Playing the, "Heat won because they were more talented" card does a disservice to the team's and coaching staff's effort and hard work. It is a backhanded compliment that as a Lakers fan, I've heard used against my team for many years.
Old June 23 2013, 07:19 PM   #222
Ganja Tea
Rear Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
I love how "brave" fans such as yourself come busting into the thread talking shit after your team wins. Reminds me of Celtic fans.
I wasn't going to comment at all until I saw how you were so butt hurt over a Heat repeat. Haters like you are the icing on top of that victory cake. You better get use to that feeling. The Heat are going 3 peat.
And I get just as HIGH as I want to be
Old June 23 2013, 07:56 PM   #223
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Saying a team won because they are more talented is not dismissive of their hard work. For the life of me, I don't understand that line of thinking. It's not an insult to the team. Obviously you work hard to get to the finals, but it is a series and the more talented team, if they work hard, almost always wins.

Old June 23 2013, 07:59 PM   #224
gblews
Rear Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
I wasn't going to comment at all until I saw how you were so butt hurt over a Heat repeat. Haters like you are the icing on top of that victory cake. You better get use to that feeling. The Heat are going 3 peat.
You better check your reading comprehension skills, home-slice. I've been predicting, but not rooting for or against, a Heat repeat since the playoffs started. So of all the posts since game 7, mine were the ones that you picked out as hater-aid? Reading comprehension son -- it is your friend.

And unless they actually do 3-peat, I'm sure we won't be seeing your little gloat trolling self in this thread again, right? You sure you aren't a closet Celtics fan?
Old June 23 2013, 08:54 PM   #225
Borgminister

Celebratory gunfire!
Closed Thread