Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 21 2013, 07:51 AM   #1
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

Favourite & Least Favourite Trek relaunch novels?

What are peoples favourite and least favourite trek relaunch novels?

I'm working my way through (up to Paths of Disharmony - not read DS9 or Voyager yet), but so far I think my favourites would be Destiny, Articles of the Federation, A singular destiny & Taking Wing.

As for least favourites - Resistance, Death in Winter and Synthesis.
Resistance i find to be so far out of character its ridiculous - Picard as Locutus again just seems like very bad fanfic. Death in winter I just found boring. Synthesis wasn't a bad story, but I find star trek to be terrible in general when it comes to 24th century computing (clearly the importance of backups, DR, even copying things instead of moving them, have all become lost arts in the 24th century!)
CaffeineAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Charles Phipps
Commander

Re: Favourite & Least Favourite Trek relaunch novels?

I have no least favorites but I'm going to go with Department of Temporal Affairs: Watching the Clock and Star Trek: Destiny's final novel. Oh and Zero Sum Game. I'm far from finished with the STEU but this is what I liked most.

AOTF is pretty damn good too.
Old June 22 2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Mage
Commodore

Before Dishonour was a joke. I still can't understand how someone who wrote some fantastic Trek during the years, wrote that. Unbelievable really.

As for favorite.... DRGIII's duology is high on that list. Destiny ofcourse. All of Vanguard. The DTI novels. All of the DS9 Relaunch. Yes, even the Mirror Universe saga, which I personally really liked.

Last edited by Mage; June 22 2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Said Death In Winter, ment Before Dishonour. Corrected now....
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

My absolute favorites are Beyer's Voyager novels, especially Children of the Storm. Destiny and DRG's Night/Dawn duology are close, but Voyager for sure.

Least favorite, yeah, would be those first few TNG relaunch novels - Death In Winter, Resistance, Q&A, and Before Dishonor. A couple of them had their moments, but together they were disjointed, random, and a little ridiculous.
Old June 22 2013, 07:33 PM   #5
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG

Favorite? Destiny Trilogy by far

Least favorite? either the early TNG or late Titan novels
Old June 22 2013, 08:24 PM   #6
8of5
Fleet Captain

View 8of5's Twitter Profile

Favourite: Either Orion's Hounds, or Greater Than the Sum. I found the ideas about the galactic ecosystem from Orion's Hounds very interesting, but probably prefer the characters in Greater Than the Sum, as it introduced two of my favourite TNG relaunch characters, T'Ryssa Chen and Jasminder Choudhury.

Really hard picking a favourite though, there's so much to love across the relaunches!

Least favourite: Either Death in Winter or Seize the Fire, I found both hard to get into.
Old June 22 2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Relayer1
Commodore

I can only really narrow it down to two groups -

Articles of the Federation, A Singular Destiny, Full Circle, Unworthy, Paths of Disharmony, Rough Beasts of Empire/Plagues of Night/Raise The Dawn, The Never Ending Sacrifice, The Cold Equations trilogy, Over a Torrent Sea, Cast No Shadow, Unspoken Truth, The Department of Temporal Investigations duology, The Buried Age. And Vanguard.

The Spirit Walk duology, Before Dishonour, Zero Sum Game, Seize The Fire, The Folded World, The Vulcans Soul Trilogy, Troublesome Minds.

As you can see, there's a lot more 'hits' than 'misses'.

Probably 'Articles' as my favourite...

Last edited by Relayer1; June 23 2013 at 08:56 AM.
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Paris
Fleet Captain

My fav's have been Articles of the Federation, Destiny, A Singular Destiny, the DS9 Typhon pact trilology (Rough Beasts of Empire/Plagues of Night/Raise The Dawn), and of course, the Voyager novels by KMFB. I've dug them all, but Children of the Storm is the best so far.
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 05:09 PM   #9
Reanok
Commodore

I really like David Mack's Cold Equations Data trilogy they're really well written and one of the best book trilogies I've read this year. I've been wanting to see Data's return in a book series..Plauges of night Raise the dawn.BY David George.Zero sum game.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 05:42 PM   #10
tomswift2002
Captain

I would have to say the Voyager Season 8 books have been great; right from "Homecoming" up to "Eternal Tide"

Worst, I would say that after a great start, the DS9 Season 8+ books got dealt some really bad stinkers with the Typhon Pact books. The first mini-series was a real clunker.

But ultimately the worst book would have to be "Fallen Gods". Some say that "Before Dishonor" deserves the honor of Worst, but at least it's more readable than "Fallen Gods". I'm still not sure how FG got past the editors with its long passages of useless description and a subplot about the Andorians that made no sense.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 07:36 PM   #11
Mage
Commodore

Fallen Gods..... I still don't get it. I need to re-read it I guess, but don't want to suffer through that piece of cr*p again.
Old June 23 2013, 07:53 PM   #12
JD
Admiral

My favorites shelf from shelfari (includes both Trek and non-Trek stuff)
EDIT: Didn't notice the least favorites part. They would be, Titan: The Red King (not necissarily bad, just kind of meh), Before Dishonor (I've tried it twice and I couldn't finish it), Seize the Fire (I gave up after about 100 pages, I just didn't care for Martin's writing style). I really enjoyed most of Martin & Mangels stuff (except Red King) so I was surprised by just how little I enjoyed Seize the Fire.
Old June 23 2013, 07:54 PM   #13
Paris
Fleet Captain

^Same. That book couldn't hold my interest in the least
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 08:09 PM   #14
Mage
Commodore

JD wrote: View Post
My favorites shelf from shelfari (includes both Trek and non-Trek stuff)
EDIT: Didn't notice the least favorites part. They would be, Titan: The Red King (not necissarily bad, just kind of meh), Before Dishonor (I've tried it twice and I couldn't finish it), Seize the Fire (I gave up after about 100 pages, I just didn't care for Martin's writing style). I really enjoyed most of Martin & Mangels stuff (except Red King) so I was surprised by just how little I enjoyed Seize the Fire.
As many others on this forum have mentioned, I'd love for Mangels to tackle some Trek on his own. I enjoyed many of the Mangels/Martin novels, but non of the Martin solo stuff. I can't help but wonder how a Mangels solo novel would read.
Old June 23 2013, 08:19 PM   #15
JD
Admiral

Same here. I get the feeling that a lot of what I, and apparently a lot of other people, liked best came from Mangels.