Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old June 1 2013, 11:27 PM   #16
Captain Kathryn
Fleet Captain

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: Fun Personalities

About what was said about Kim and Chakotay....I mean, you need "straight" characters to butt heads with the more extravagant ones.

The EMH was easily the funniest character on VOY, in my opinion. He could be funny when by himself or interacting with ANY other character. He is sarcastic and sardonic, but still has so much emotion (even though he is a hologram).

Seven of Nine and Tuvok were the "not meaning to be funny, but will make you laugh out loud" characters. The EMH, Tuvok, and Seven are all delightfully sarcastic people and I love it.

Neelix was goofy and I think he was meant to be funny, but he was pretty corny. But still a fun character.

Tom was funny when put into situations with Harry and B'Elanna.

Chakotay was not funny...but I like the relationship he has with Janeway.

Maybe solely as single people, some characters are not "funny", but put them together and their contrasting personalities make it one of the funniest Trek shows ever in my opinion.

DS9 has amazing character development and many EXTREMELY funny lines from Garak, Quark, Odo, etc. But overall I would still watch VOY if I feel like laughing. Although DS9 is a close second!
Old June 2 2013, 01:59 AM   #17
The Overlord
Captain

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
About what was said about Kim and Chakotay....I mean, you need "straight" characters to butt heads with the more extravagant ones.

The EMH was easily the funniest character on VOY, in my opinion. He could be funny when by himself or interacting with ANY other character. He is sarcastic and sardonic, but still has so much emotion (even though he is a hologram).

Seven of Nine and Tuvok were the "not meaning to be funny, but will make you laugh out loud" characters. The EMH, Tuvok, and Seven are all delightfully sarcastic people and I love it.

Neelix was goofy and I think he was meant to be funny, but he was pretty corny. But still a fun character.

Tom was funny when put into situations with Harry and B'Elanna.

Chakotay was not funny...but I like the relationship he has with Janeway.

Maybe solely as single people, some characters are not "funny", but put them together and their contrasting personalities make it one of the funniest Trek shows ever in my opinion.

DS9 has amazing character development and many EXTREMELY funny lines from Garak, Quark, Odo, etc. But overall I would still watch VOY if I feel like laughing. Although DS9 is a close second!
I think you can have straight man characters who are well developed and interesting in their own way. Miles O'Brien was the straight man in DS9 and he was more interesting then Harry Kim and Chakotay.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 04:02 AM   #18
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

I'm not sure why Star Trek series need to be humorous. Isn't Star Trek supposed to be about a serious subject?
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 04:15 AM   #19
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

An interesting question from a man drinking lemonade with Q.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 02:00 PM   #20
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
I'm not sure why Star Trek series need to be humorous.
Beacuse Star Trek is supposedly a reflection of our humanity, and humour is part of our everyday lives. However, I do view Trek as primarily a drama, so some of the more egregious and "in your face" humour can feel inappropriate.
Old June 22 2013, 04:58 AM   #21
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

View Sadara's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Sadara

There is no way TNG can be fun so long as Counselor Troi is aboard. Talk about *yawn* And yes, Pulaski livened that show up greatly. Such a shame they got rid of her.
Old June 22 2013, 11:30 AM   #22
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

They traded in irascible for beautiful hair. Terrible, terrible.. though it's nice Picard ended up with her eventually, even though she will never be dressed as a christmas tree ornament and making him beautiful meals and babies. Well they did make one baby in the books but it was so awful I had to start skipping all those parts and I'm not even sure if its been born yet. I'm thinking maybe it was named after his nephew?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 05:04 PM   #23
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

View Sadara's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Sadara

What I read/heard about Dr. Pulaski was that her personality was too reminiscent of Dr. McCoy's and wasn't a good fit with that particular crew. I also heard that Diana Muldaur was treated quite awful by the TNG cast, which I found hard to believe at first, but admittedly the TNG cast is a bit clique-ish and they apparently resented Gates being replaced.

It's too bad because I thought she brought much needed conflict to TNG and she was more interesting than Crusher.