Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 23 2013, 02:21 PM   #751
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

I rathere enjoyed the movie, I liked how they finally fleched out Krypton, I thought the cast was stellar and Amy Adams made a great Lois LAne, she was beautiful, spunky and classy at the same time. I also liked the music and have th soundtrack, Hans Zimmer didn't try to mimic John Willaims' themes he created his own. And while killing Zod was a risk, it was peferable to allowing Khan to live in Star Trek Into Darkness.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 02:34 PM   #752
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

It's kinda funny that Batman doesn't kill, but Superman does.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 02:48 PM   #753
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Batman didn't seem to have any qualms with machine gunning the shit out of the guys in the Tumblers and trucks in TDKR (one of which directly showed the bullets from The Bat killing the driver of the truck), and he caused Talia's fatal crash. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Plus, his whole Ra's al Ghul "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" line was a copout on his part. If you sent Gordon to blow up the tracks and then stand by when you could save Ra's from the crash, you most certainly did kill him.

Mind you, I don't have a problem with either.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 03:11 PM   #754
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I was actually agreeing with Locutus - I quoted the stupid Vulcan emoticon by accident. Telepathy or no, his essential point is correct.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 03:32 PM   #755
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Kevin Smith reviews Man of Steel

Part 2 (11:01)
Part 3 (10:08)
Part 4 (10:00)
Part 5 (12:01)
Part 6 (12:08)
Part 7 (14:08)
Part 8 (14:51)
Part 9 (10:55)
Part 10 (12:06)
Part 11 (12:04)
Part 12 (10:01)
Part 13 (6:42)
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 03:34 PM   #756
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I was actually agreeing with Locutus - I quoted the stupid Vulcan emoticon by accident. Telepathy or no, his essential point is correct.
Oh no, I knew you were agreeing with the larger point of the post, I just found it amusing that both posts had the same emoticon reaction. I didn't realize you quoted his emoticon.

ETA: AR07, I don't have time to listen to Smith's review at the moment (because apparently every online movie review these days needs to be the length of a film itself - but at least Smith is an entertaining speaker), but just out of curiosity, was it positive or negative?
Old June 23 2013, 03:39 PM   #757
Warped9
Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Batman didn't seem to have any qualms with machine gunning the shit out of the guys in the Tumblers and trucks in TDKR (one of which directly showed the bullets from The Bat killing the driver of the truck), and he caused Talia's fatal crash. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Plus, his whole Ra's al Ghul "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" line was a copout on his part. If you sent Gordon to blow up the tracks and then stand by when you could save Ra's from the crash, you most certainly did kill him.

Mind you, I don't have a problem with either.
He also killed the Joker in the '89 movie.

The idea that superheroes (or some of them) don't kill is a conceit to some extent. It might be more accurate to say they won't murder or they try to avoid direct killing unless it's impossible to avoid. As a general rule superheroes do try to bring the villain to justice rather than just offing them otherwise they would be no better than hit-men.

Batman and Superman both came out during the era of the gangster or soon after. They fit into the perception that a sort of warfare did exist between the gangsters and law enforcement. And in war there isn't much sentiment or regret over killing the enemy.

In the recent Batman films as well as with MoS both Bats and Supes were faced with ideological zealots who would not stop. There really isn't much difference between Ras al Gul and General Zod in terms of mentality. In the end the heroes realize and accept the only way to stop the villains was to kill them, or in Batman's case simply let Ras die.

MoS makes two significant changes to the origin story: Superman isn't introduced gradually and Lois learns who he is right off. In previous versions Superman (in costume) simply starts helping people and earns their trust before being faced with a really big menace. In MoS trust is earned in the fire of combat when they see whose side this alien is fighting on. It didn't have the magical element the '78 film had in how Supes first appears, but it is nonetheless quite dramatic. Lois learning of Clark's identity right off works simply because it establishes her as a genuinely smart and capable person and finally gets around the silliness of simple glasses being a convincing disguise. I, too, have enjoyed Clark stupefying Lois in how he can get the scoop on her so easily or get onto a scene so fast, but if you're going to treat the subject matter in a more realistic manner than that conceit can't really work convincingly anymore. So better to get it out of the way and simultaneously show how sharp Lois really is.

Watching this film I admit that I thought it might be rather fun to see Christian Bale's Batman and Henry Cavill's Superman interacting together. But since Bale's Batman is essentially retired (in universe assuming they are one and the same) then that isn't likely to happen.
Old June 23 2013, 04:15 PM   #758
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

ETA: AR07, I don't have time to listen to Smith's review at the moment (because apparently every online movie review these days needs to be the length of a film itself - but at least Smith is an entertaining speaker), but just out of curiosity, was it positive or negative?
He likes it, Ralph Garman doesn't.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 04:17 PM   #759
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Kevin Smith reviews Man of Steel
Two hours?! I was interested, but I'll pass. Unless you're a RedLetterMedia Star Wars review keep it under 20 minutes.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 04:21 PM   #760
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

It's not really a review. Kevin Smith has a (usually) weekly podcast series called Fatman on Batman in which he interviews people involved in the Bat-verse. Mark Hamil, Kevin Conroy, Grant Morrison and Jim Lee have all been on there. This week they took a break from Batman to cover Man of Steel.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 04:28 PM   #761
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Shazam! wrote: View Post
He likes it, Ralph Garman doesn't.
Thanks.
Old June 23 2013, 04:34 PM   #762
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I've only listened to the first 5 parts, but it's basically what Shazam said. Smith likes it but isn't above having some minor quibbles (fight scene too long) or cracking a few jokes about it. And the guy's he's chatting with felt that it lacked joy, color and that comic book feel he expects from superhero movies.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 04:39 PM   #763
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
But since Bale's Batman is essentially retired (in universe assuming they are one and the same) then that isn't likely to happen.
Ehh, he retires all the time. It's like Ross getting divorced. I had a teacher in college who was retired. Daniel Day-Lewis used to be retired.

Kelthaz wrote:
Unless you're a RedLetterMedia Star Wars review keep it under 20 minutes.
And if you are a RedLetterMedia Star Wars review keep it under 0 minutes.
Old June 23 2013, 05:26 PM   #764
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote:
Unless you're a RedLetterMedia Star Wars review keep it under 20 minutes.
And if you are a RedLetterMedia Star Wars review keep it under 0 minutes.

Absolutely Right.™
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 05:34 PM   #765
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Have I landed on an alternate Earth where people have actually seen those dreadful Plinkett nerdrage butthurt videos for what they really were?