Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 23 2013, 02:42 AM   #736
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Really, saying the Kryptonians having had other colonies leaves too many "Yeah, but...." questions in place while also mudding the "Last Son of Krypton" thing. I more like the idea that Kryptonians couldn't leave Krypton either due too high of gravity for meaningful space travel to be possible (Kal's ship being the exception as it was launched as Krypton imploded thus didn't have to fight gravity as much) or it was a banned practice as Kryptonians knew how different types of solar radiation effected them and the implications that could have on other worlds.

Here it's like, "Yeah, we did it. But gave up. Everyone else out there? Who knows what happened to them? NBD."
Old June 23 2013, 03:23 AM   #737
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Really, saying the Kryptonians having had other colonies leaves too many "Yeah, but...." questions in place while also mudding the "Last Son of Krypton" thing. I more like the idea that Kryptonians couldn't leave Krypton either due too high of gravity for meaningful space travel to be possible (Kal's ship being the exception as it was launched as Krypton imploded thus didn't have to fight gravity as much) or it was a banned practice as Kryptonians knew how different types of solar radiation effected them and the implications that could have on other worlds.

Here it's like, "Yeah, we did it. But gave up. Everyone else out there? Who knows what happened to them? NBD."
Kal's still the last son. The others, if they still exist stopped be Kryptonians when they set down roots on the colonies and lost contact with Krypton.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 03:25 AM   #738
feek61
Captain

Here it's like, "Yeah, we did it. But gave up. "
Sounds like NASA.
Old June 23 2013, 03:51 AM   #739
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I admit that's one thing I'm still kinda iffy about. It's hard to imagine these Kryptonians being so advanced they can create giant "World Engines" and send fleets of scout ships to distant planets... and yet are somehow unable to survive and live independently once they get there.

I mean, we're not talking about 15th century Spanish explorers with limited technology here.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 04:22 AM   #740
TemporalFlux
Commodore

The idea is an interesting parallel to modern day. We essentially gutted NASA's budget to pay for social programs (most notably Cash for Clunkers). Society can decide that space travel just isn't very important anymore; it's happened to us.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 04:47 AM   #741
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Well, if we're going to do the list thing:

1. Spider-Man 2
1a. The Dark Knight
3. X2: X-Men United
4. Batman
5. Superman: The Movie
6. Spider-Man
7. Iron Man
8. Watchmen
9. The Avengers
10. Man of Steel
Old June 23 2013, 07:03 AM   #742
sojourner
Admiral

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
The idea is an interesting parallel to modern day. We essentially gutted NASA's budget to pay for social programs (most notably Cash for Clunkers).
LOL, NASA's budget has been terrible since the Nixon administration. Cash for Clunkers played absolutely no part in it's current state. In fact, CfC officially started in 2009 and as you can see here, NASA's budget actually rose marginally that year.
Old June 23 2013, 07:10 AM   #743
Warped9
Admiral

In the 1400s the ancient Chinese also turned back from long range ocean voyages for trade and exploration.
Old June 23 2013, 07:11 AM   #744
Astraboy
Ensign

Warped9 wrote: View Post

1. The music was lousy in that I don't remember one note of it. It was just additional noise for the most part and instantly forgettable from one moment to the next. The original '78 John Williams' theme so perfectly encapsulates the idea of Superman that it would be indeed hard to follow and recreate that feeling. MoS' music doesn't even try and is just disposable noise. It's little more than just another sound effect.
Personally, I didn't think it was that bad. The movie from the 3rd trailer (I think) was particularly anthemic. I'd recommend the track "What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World" from the soundtrack.
Astraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 10:01 AM   #745
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

They hinted at the reason both with the inclusion of the Phantom Zone prisoner/scientist Jax-Ur and by showing Krypton's destroyed moon Wegthor, which he blew up. That was what ultimately prompted the Kryptonians to give up space travel.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 11:33 AM   #746
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Astraboy wrote: View Post
Quite a hard list to make as I'm a sucker for superhero flicks. I'd watch anything, even the likes of Ghost Rider, Jonah Hex and Judge Dredd
Oh, yeah.. Dredd should be on my list.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 11:38 AM   #747
Warped9
Admiral

The one overriding thing the '78 film had was that "cool" moment when Superman first appears in Metropolis and saves Lois Lane. Today's f/x blows that away in terms of polish, but that decades old scene is still cool. That sense of awe seems missing in MoS despite the really nice visuals. Maybe as an audience we've simply become too jaded for that to work anymore or it's simply now a lot harder to get the gee-whiz feeling out of a scene.
Old June 23 2013, 01:04 PM   #748
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Martha said he used to have terrible breathing problems as a baby, and then, as you mentioned, he had the same sudden, overwhelming appearance of his x-ray vision, super hearing, telepathy, and so forth.

Exactly so. This was made explicit in the movie.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; June 23 2013 at 03:09 PM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 01:22 PM   #749
Mach5
Rear Admiral

I went in with an open mind... And came out with a crushed soul.

Calling it a piece of garbage would be too kind.

Fuck you, Nolan. You used to be beautiful, man! What happened?
Old June 23 2013, 01:44 PM   #750
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Martha said he used to have terrible breathing problems as a baby, and then, as you mentioned, he had the same sudden, overwhelming appearance of his x-ray vision, super hearing, telepathy, and so forth.
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Okay, obviously I was mistaken about the telepathy. I thought there was a part at the school before he went in the closet where he was reading someone's unspoken thoughts about him, but it must have just been the super-hearing.

I blame that damn "Can you read my mind?" monologue from Superman.

Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote