To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 23 2013, 05:26 AM   #1
Grant
Fleet Captain

"Sir, D'Amato" ???

I must have seen "That which survives 20 times, but last night I heard something bizarre I never noticed before.......

In the teaser, as Kirk & Sulu enter the transporter room, Kirk says a line to D'Amato as walks in and then ends his sentence, "......, Sir D'Amato."

WTF? What do you suppose the line was supposed to be?

In the spanish language track the line ends with, "....senor D'Amato."
I suppose they tried to make sense of the line by translating the eqivilant of "mister D'amato" but, clearly he didn't say that in the english version.

The french track has no translation for the word beofre D'Amato.

Anybody have a copy of the script?

At any rate give it a listen and take your guess what Shatner's line was supposed to be or perhaps the 23rd century knig of Italy had knighted D'Amato!
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 05:42 AM   #2
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: "Sir, D'Amato" ???

"This expedition should be a geologist's dream, Mr. D'Amato."
Old June 23 2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Grant
Fleet Captain

Yeah except that's not what he says on the Blu-ray---neither the 7.1 or the original audio---he clearly says "sir"

I listened to it thru center channel speaker and the left and right speaker with the original sound---he does not say mister.
Old June 23 2013, 06:09 AM   #4
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Grant wrote: View Post
In the spanish language track the line ends with, "....senor D'Amato."
In Spanish, Senor can mean "sir," but it can also mean mister, depending on how it's being used.

or perhaps the 23rd century knig of ... Italy had knighted D'Amato!
An interesting possibility. Kirk does refer to ambassadors by their job position, to McCoy by his occupation. In the future miss and mrs. have returned to common use, and Kirk uses them both.

If D'Amato were to have been knighted at some point in his past, would Kirk on occasion use that title in referring to D'Amato?

As opposed to employing "Mister?"

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 06:29 AM   #5
Grant
Fleet Captain

After listening to it many times i find that it was a mixing error most likely. Shatner said mister but they snipped the audio track and it came out sounding exactly like 'sir'

Only question i now have is the error on the Blu-ray only or did the DVDs (and previous formats) have the same mistake.

I am going to grab a copy of the episode on DVD from my public library and listen and see. Perhaps it goes all the way back to 1968 and it was always a glitch.
Old June 23 2013, 06:39 AM   #6
scotpens
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
or perhaps the 23rd century knig of ... Italy had knighted D'Amato!
An interesting possibility. Kirk does refer to ambassadors by their job position, to McCoy by his occupation. In the future miss and mrs. have returned to common use, and Kirk uses them both.

If D'Amato were to have been knighted at some point in his past, would Kirk on occasion use that title in referring to D'Amato?
Except that the honorific "Sir" (or "Dame") precedes the given name, not the surname.
Old June 23 2013, 06:44 AM   #7
Grant
Fleet Captain

Jeepers i make a weak joke about D'Amato actually being a knight and we are now debating it? LOL.

First of all D'Amato speaks English with a american accent--so i guess at some point in the future we become a kingdom again!

Whoa the british reconquer america.
Old June 23 2013, 06:48 AM   #8
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

In the 1970s I used to sit at the TV with a microphone and try to capture the episodes on audio cassette, and I played the tapes a lot.

Due to the beat-up condition of the 16mm syndy print of "Requiem for Methuselah," I spent years hearing Kirk say "You'd wipe out four lives?" -- knowing that he really said four hundred.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Grant
Fleet Captain

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
In the 1970s I used to sit at the TV with a microphone and try to capture the episodes on audio cassette, and I played the tapes a lot.

Due to the beat-up condition of the 16mm syndy print of "Requiem for Methuselah," I spent years hearing Kirk say "You'd wipe out four lives?" -- knowing that he really said four hundred.

And..................?

But I'm listening to supposedly pristine cleaned up audio. So I want to know if it was always a glitch that we were alwayus stuck with or if it's a glitch on the Blu-ray only.
Old June 23 2013, 09:41 AM   #10
Zaku
Commander

At any rate give it a listen and take your guess what Shatner's line was supposed to be or perhaps the 23rd century knig of Italy had knighted D'Amato!

The highest ranking honour in Italy is "Cavaliere di Gran Croce Decorato di Gran Cordone Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana" (Knight Grand Cross with Collar). Usually you use the form "Cavalier Rossi" ("Knight Rossi").

There is no title in Italy that you can translate with "Sir". We are a Republic after all

Probably in the 23rd century the House of Savoy had reclamed its rightful throne!
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 12:06 PM   #11
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

Zaku wrote: View Post

The highest ranking honour in Italy is "Cavaliere di Gran Croce Decorato di Gran Cordone Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana" (Knight Grand Cross with Collar). Usually you use the form "Cavalier Rossi" ("Knight Rossi").

There is no title in Italy that you can translate with "Sir". We are a Republic after all

Probably in the 23rd century the House of Savoy had reclamed its rightful throne!
Either that, or they simply decided that to say his title correctly would need a two-parter!

I love the Italian language, can't speak it for crap, but it's one of those that seems to "flow".
Old June 23 2013, 02:44 PM   #12
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

Reminds me of the episode This Side of Paradise where McKoy says something to the effect that he would have to take down his shingle.
Kirk replies with a line clarifying this line by basically repeating it and emphasizing the word shingle. The first few times I heard this line I thought that McKoy had said sh_t instead of shingle and that Shatner ad libed his line to smooth over the mistake.
Anyway...that's what it sounded like on TV back then......before the days of cable and flat screen Hi Def.
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 09:51 PM   #13
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

I always remember Arthur Batanides as Mr Kirkland from Police Academy.

Old June 23 2013, 11:22 PM   #14
feek61
Captain

I have always heard "Sir" on the audio as long as I have watch Trek (40+ years).
Old June 24 2013, 02:13 PM   #15
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

After listening to it many times i find that it was a mixing error most likely. Shatner said mister but they snipped the audio track and it came out sounding exactly like 'sir'
There were other snipped-audio moments, like the one in The Savage Curtain where Lincoln said "--ee gentlemen, if those are weapons, please lower them." No idea what the "--ee" was part of. They removed it for the DVD.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote