Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 22 2013, 02:21 PM   #616
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

^Oh, great. As someone who only watches the show, I'm starting to find it a bit contrived that almost every time something from the outside world affects Defiance, it happens to be something that happened in the Bay Area. It's bad enough Small Universe Syndrome that all these hugely important people and things just keep happening to converge on Defiance by chance -- key figures from the characters' pasts, an Ark remnant that could've landed anywhere on Earth -- but it doesn't make things any more plausible when the Bay Area seems to be joined at the hip to Defiance, with everything that happens in one of those two places resonating with the other.

Besides, I thought the whole reason they chose to set the game and the show so far apart from each other was so that each could stand on its own. If they were going to have them so closely interconnected, it would've made more sense to put them geographically closer together.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 02:34 PM   #617
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

But it is a smaller world.

New York survived mostly intact because that frak is an island.

Every other city was utterly frakked.

Razor Rain probably falls on America all day long, but 70 percent of the country is probably wasteland if Defiance is considered a city.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 06:21 PM   #618
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

If the theory that the Kaziri is some kind of defensive weapon or terraforming device, then that explains why St. Louis was largely protected from the previous terraforming. It also explains why Nicolette is so eager to get it; to either try to reverse the terraforming (if the latter) or try to expel all the Votans from earth (if the former). I'm still leaning towards defensive weapon as the shield generator was a key factor for the town's existence in the pilot, and with the looming threats (if the rumors are true), then they'll need something to help protect Defiance.

As far as all the references to the Bay? I have no problem with that. It is a major part of the franchise they're trying to build. It'd be weird if it didn't come up quite often. And with New York being the apparent HQ for the Earth Republic, why wouldn't that be commonly referred to as well? Especially in a show where politics play a major role.

Now everyone having some major interwoven background and key figures from people's past rolling into town? That is a bit weird, but to be expected in a television show. Would just be nice if it didn't seem to happen every other episode...

Last edited by Mister Fandango; June 22 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 07:13 PM   #619
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
I'm still leaning towards defensive weapon as the shield generator was a key factor for the town's existence in the pilot, and with the looming threats (if the rumors are true), then they'll need something to help protect Defiance.
Doesn't make sense. Why would Nicolette want the shield generators destroyed and allow the plan to have the votans attack in that case? Unless you're trying to say she wanted it to keep it from Defiance?
Old June 22 2013, 08:18 PM   #620
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Read the first paragraph again.
Old June 22 2013, 08:27 PM   #621
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Yeah, still not getting what you mean. Do you think she wants it to protect Defiance or to hurt Defiance? Because her actions up till now don't support her wanting to protect Defiance.
Old June 22 2013, 08:39 PM   #622
Christopher
Writer

Nicki isn't interested in Defiance, but in the power that lies beneath it. We know now that she was behind the Volge attack -- apparently with the goal of driving the people away and clearing her path to the McGuffin. Since the town was saved, she's had to employ other means to try to get at it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 08:40 PM   #623
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

"It also explains why Nicolette is so eager to get it; to either try to reverse the terraforming (if the latter) or try to expel all the Votans from earth (if the former)."

I don't see the word "Defiance" mentioned anywhere there.

Whatever it is, it's something she believes the remaining survivors will thank her for. So it has to be something big like that.
Old June 22 2013, 08:41 PM   #624
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Kaziri is magic votan tech that does something. The knots are part of it. The Kaziri will save the world, but Nicollette is willing to destroy Defiance to get it.

Fandango said that he thinks possibly that the Kaziri is LIKE the shield generators, but not the shield generators that she destroyed.

Has the word Kaziri been used in the tv show, or is this bleed over spoilers form the game?

If the Kaziri is a global shield generator, that could could be good for clearing all that junk in orbit, so that technology and aircrafts can be used again once the electromagnetic disturbances subside, which is constantly frakking with their attemptes to maintin a modern society.

The only other reason that they would need a shield which can cover the enire planet is if there is a second wave of colonists on their way from Votan.

Old June 22 2013, 08:43 PM   #625
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Three posts in three minutes, and they said that Defiance wasn't popular.

Old June 22 2013, 08:54 PM   #626
sojourner
Vice Admiral

"It also explains why Nicolette is so eager to get it; to either try to reverse the terraforming (if the latter) or try to expel all the Votans from earth (if the former)."

Whatever it is, it's something she believes the remaining survivors will thank her for. So it has to be something big like that.
If by "remaining survivors" you mean everyone outside of Defiance, since she seems quite willing to throw the town under the bus. Which is why your paragraph was unclear. The sentence you didn't quote,
I'm still leaning towards defensive weapon as the shield generator was a key factor for the town's existence in the pilot, and with the looming threats (if the rumors are true), then they'll need something to help protect Defiance.
does mention Defiance and seems to indicate that you think she wants to protect the town with the device. So yeah, I read the entire paragraph, did you?
Old June 22 2013, 09:23 PM   #627
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post

If by "remaining survivors" you mean everyone outside of Defiance, since she seems quite willing to throw the town under the bus. Which is why your paragraph was unclear. The sentence you didn't quote,
does mention Defiance and seems to indicate that you think she wants to protect the town with the device. So yeah, I read the entire paragraph, did you?
I'm well aware of what I said. Those were two different things. The first was about why Nicolette wanted the device. The second is about why the device exists in the story to begin with. Hence the use of "they'll" as opposed to "she" or "her." Unless you sincerely think that Nicolette's plan, whatever it is, will come to fruition and the show will be over because she'll have destroyed the town.
Old June 22 2013, 10:13 PM   #628
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I think Nicollete is perfectly willing to sacrifice Defiance to get her old planet back . . . .

Defiance is small potatoes compared to whatever she has in mind.
Old June 22 2013, 11:58 PM   #629
sojourner
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post

I'm well aware of what I said. Those were two different things. The first was about why Nicolette wanted the device. The second is about why the device exists in the story to begin with. Hence the use of "they'll" as opposed to "she" or "her." Unless you sincerely think that Nicolette's plan, whatever it is, will come to fruition and the show will be over because she'll have destroyed the town.

I don't really care whether she succeeds or fails, I was just unclear with what you were trying to say. The use of "they'll" in this case could have meant the town, or her and her fellow conspirators in this case. Especially considering the focus of the paragraph seemed to be Nicolette based on the first sentence.
Old June 23 2013, 01:38 AM   #630
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

The game's entire storyline so far is about a man who was trying to reverse the terraforming. I doubt the show would use the exact same plot for Nicollete.

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Oh, great. As someone who only watches the show, I'm starting to find it a bit contrived that almost every time something from the outside world affects Defiance, it happens to be something that happened in the Bay Area. It's bad enough Small Universe Syndrome that all these hugely important people and things just keep happening to converge on Defiance by chance -- key figures from the characters' pasts, an Ark remnant that could've landed anywhere on Earth -- but it doesn't make things any more plausible when the Bay Area seems to be joined at the hip to Defiance, with everything that happens in one of those two places resonating with the other.

Besides, I thought the whole reason they chose to set the game and the show so far apart from each other was so that each could stand on its own. If they were going to have them so closely interconnected, it would've made more sense to put them geographically closer together.
Its not as contrived as you think. Nolan and Irisa stole something very valuable from a Voltan "mafia boss" named Varis in San Francisco and fled into the wilds. A week later, they stumbled upon Defiance in the show's pilot.

If you think that's bad, Doc asked a friend in the Bay area for help developing a cure for the plague in last week's episode. And it was the players in the game who sent the cure to Defiance via an ICBM for Nolan and that e-rep guy to retrieve.