Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 4 2013, 06:05 PM   #16
Konata Izumi
Commander

Re: top dr who episodes

Just knowing these two exist puts my soul at peace.

Let's Kill Hitler; Such a pretty portrayal, without an ounce of banality, of everyone being little Hitlers, while people act inoffensively lively.

The Rings of Akhaten; Empoweringly concluding episode, that soothingly reminds of bad things, while being very sunny orange.

Other favourites:

The Name of the Doctor

The Bells of Saint John

A Good Man Goes to War

The Beast Below

The Girl Who Waited seems like it should work super efficiently, but for some reason I haven't cared that much.

Just current era episodes for now.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 09:44 PM   #17
publiusr
Commodore

I loved Genesis of the Daleks and Dalek equally well for one and two...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 09:51 PM   #18
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Okay, just wanna redo my top list, plus I have a new favourite to add!

Logopolis: An excellent adventure, great pace, great acting! Just a personal favourite for me really, just a good bit of fun. Nothing to do with being awesome and whatnot, just plain fun, and is always one of the serials I turn to when bored.

The End of Time: Fantastic finale to Tennant's tenure as the Doctor. Dig the return of the Time Lords, the return f the Master, and yet again just a fave for personal reasons. Plus all the excitement over a new doctor!

The Two Doctors: Just love it to bits! Troughton just stole the show, although Bakers performance was also excellent. Just sums up what a good doctor who story should be. Good acting, a good mix of humour and serious scenes, and the return of old and new faces! The Sontarans are at their very best here.

The Planet of Spiders: A recent one to add to my list as I've just seen it recently. Just a fantastic finale to Pertwee's era in Doctor Who, the spiders were fantastic villains. I so want them to return! Maybe they'd be fun for Matt Smiths regeneration story. I especially love the scene where the Doctor's in that cave with "the great one" and the great one just torments the doctor. "Is that fear is can feel in you, you are not accustomed to fear are you doctor, it is very wise for you to be afraid!" Great dialogue (yeah I probably got it wrong, but you get the drift). Plus I usually don't like 6 part serials as they usually drag on for too long, so this must be a good serial if it kept my attention for most of it.

Tomb of the Cybermen: Just a classic, enjoyable! Fun to watch, plus I love the whole retro 60s sci-fi thing going on in it.

The 1996 TV Movie: Just pure awesomeness! Has produced one of my favourite doctors, I wish McGann was in more stories. If so, he may have become my favourite. Loved the whole style of everything in it. The TARDIS was pure awesome.

Some other great ones I feel should be acknowledged are; Dalek, Revelation of the Daleks, Bad Wolf/The Parting of Ways, The Two Doctors, The Keeper of Traken, Earthshock, The trial of a Timelord, Survival, Aliens of London/World War Three, Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, The Master Trilogy, Planet of the Ood, The Sontaran Stratagem/Poison Sky, The Stolen Earth/Journeys End, The Next Doctor, The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, The Angels Take Manhattan, and Cold War.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 12:51 AM   #19
BruntFCA
Commander

My 10 favorite stories

1-"The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang"
2-"Gridlock"
3-"Vincent and the Doctor"
4-"Human Nature/The Family of Blood"
5-"Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords"
6-"The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon"
7-"The Doctor's Wife"
8-"The Lodger"
9-"Love & Monsters"
10-"The Eleventh Hour"

Not really a fan of the classic series.
Old June 14 2013, 11:53 PM   #20
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

BruntFCA wrote: View Post
7-"The Doctor's Wife"
Why is that one so popular? I've just re-watched that one today, probably the first time I've seen it since it's original broadcast. I remember it as being absolutely appalling, a snooze fest. Re watched it, didn't hate it this time round, didn't like it much either though. Some things I liked were the classic series like corridors (although I wish it match the console room better, although I'd prefer the console room to match the corridors), the brief return of the RTD TARDIS (Smith would have suited that TARDIS well), and I noticed that some of the music in it reminded me of the Davison and C. Baker era music. especially the corridor scenes.

I found Idris bloody annoying though. She was pathetic. I don't like giving the TARDIS a personality, I prefer to just have it as a machine. The sentimental bit at the end with the doctor crying was awful. Plus I felt the whole plot was a bit weak. In Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel, the Doctor says it's pretty much near impossible to go from universe to universe, but in this one a being trapped in a sort of pocket universe somehow send a message box (plot hole alert! If that could be sent, why doesn't he just get himself out of there?) and then the doctor just goes blundering in.

The problem with Moffat is by trying to be clever and make big twists, he sometimes (often) makes plot holes as a result.)
Old June 15 2013, 12:51 AM   #21
Iamnotspock
Captain

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
BruntFCA wrote: View Post
7-"The Doctor's Wife"
Why is that one so popular?
If you have to ask, I'm not sure I can explain it. It's a bit of an odd one...

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
The problem with Moffat is by trying to be clever and make big twists, he sometimes (often) makes plot holes as a result.)
He didn't write it. It's by Neil Gaiman, something of a coup for the series.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 06:27 PM   #22
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Meh, I guess I like different parts of doctor who than everything else then.

I wasn't just talking about that episode, I was talking about series 5,6,&7 in general.
Old June 15 2013, 07:16 PM   #23
Ghost Bones
Captain

People are going a bit overboard. Just watch The Pirate Planet, Logopolis and Ghost Light.
Old June 20 2013, 11:04 PM   #24
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Logopolis
Old June 22 2013, 05:41 PM   #25
Ghost Bones
Captain

Probably the best Tom story. The sense of doom over the whole thing, they weirdness of the Watcher, the Bidmead hard science thing working far better than it did in any other story (sorry Warrior's Gate). It's a top ten for me.
Old June 22 2013, 06:22 PM   #26
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I watched The Two Doctors on Youtube for the first time in maybe fifteen years, and while I used to hate it, I actually found it quite an enjoyable story. I guess because I've listened to so many of Colin's audio adventures, or I've just gotten used to a different style of DW from the new series.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 06:29 PM   #27
Ghost Bones
Captain

The Two Doctors feels quite oppressive. There's things going on and it's all interesting, but there's quite a bit of nasty in it. All encapsulated in Shockeye I think. Looked at another way though, there's artistic merit in being so different. Not nearly as good as Revelation or Varos though, in my view.
Old June 22 2013, 08:21 PM   #28
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I remember it being pretty shocking in those innocent days of 1984(?). Nowadays? Tame.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 08:24 PM   #29
Ghost Bones
Captain

Well, it's all relative. Compare it to the rest of classic Who or even still what you'd think of as a family show and I think it stands out for that reason.
Old June 23 2013, 12:05 AM   #30
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

If you're just starting brand new to the series, it's probably best to start with the new series. (I'm a huge fan of the classic series but it can be very much an acquired taste. It's got the pacing of the old Dark Shadows soap opera and production values that make classic Star Trek look like Avatar by comparison. But the characters are very interesting and it's a very unique style of storytelling.) If you feel a larger interest in the franchise as a whole and have an inordinate amount of patience, you'll find classic Doctor Who very rewarding. But if you're just starting out, you might want to start with the newest stuff.

As for where to start with the new series, opinions will differ but I think the current Doctor, Matt Smith, is the best of the 3 new Doctors. Not only is Smith the most interesting and eccentric of all the Doctors but I think he's had some of the most interesting & charismatic companions: Amy Pond, Rory Williams, River Song, & Clara Oswald. And, I think the Smith episodes have done the best job of incorporating time travel into the stories themselves, (whereas the show normally just uses time travel to drop our heroes into exotic locations week after week). So, taken that way, my favorite timey-wimey episodes of the Matt Smith years:
"The Eleventh Hour" (The 1st appearance of Matt Smith, Amy, & Rory.)
"Amy's Choice"
"The Pandorica Opens"/"The Big Bang"
"The Impossible Astronaut"/"Day of the Moon"
"The Girl Who Waited"

Also, a couple other favorites of mine from the Smith era:
"Vincent & the Doctor" (A surprisingly touching story where the Doctor & Amy meet Vincent Van Gogh. I always tear up a little bit towards the end.)
"The Lodger" (By far the funniest of all the Smith episodes, displaying the 11th Doctor at his most eccentric.)
"Nightmare in Silver" (The Doctor gets partially posessed by an advanced Cyber-intelligence. Matt Smith gives his best performance ever, contrasting the Doctor with the evil Cyber-intelligence fighting for control of his body.)

I could go on all day just talking about how much I love the 11th Doctor, but there's lots more about the series to enjoy.

David Tennant often comes accross as the most popular of all the Doctors. (There was a favorite Doctor poll in Entertainment Weekly last year where Tennant absolutely destroyed the competition.) I like Tennant a lot but he's sometimes a bit over-the-top for my tastes. Also, I was quite annoyed by all the romantic mooning that his companions tended to do over him. But, if you're a girl, you'll probably think he's cute and he'll instantly worm his way into your heart. IMO, Tennant's run was far more uneven than Smith's but there are some definate highlights to his era:
"School Reunion" (Reuniting the Doctor with Sarah Jane Smith, one of his old companions from the 1970s.)
"The Girl in the Fireplace" (A time travel story very much in the style of some of the better Matt Smith episodes.)
"Human Nature"/"The Family of Blood" (A heartfelt story where the Doctor erases his memory and lives life as a human.)
"Blink" (Tennant's most popular episode, by far, despite the fact that the Doctor is barely in it. This is the episode you show to people even if they don't want to watch the rest of the series.)
"The Unicorn & the Wasp" (While Tennant's other companions, Rose & Martha, tended to get on my nerves, Donna was a great bubble of unpredictability. Just watch the poisoning scene.)

"Midnight" (A small, claustrophobic story where the Doctor & a group of strangers are trapped aboard a tour bus while menaced by a non-corporeal alien.)
"The Stolen Earth"/"Journey's End" (If you love crossovers, man, you'll love these episodes. All the recent companions come back, plus people from the spinoffs!)