Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 22 2013, 11:36 PM   #16
marksound
Fleet Captain

Re: creepy encounters with cashiers

Some may think me obnoxious. I can deal with that.

A cashier's job is to be pleasant and move the customers through as quickly as possible. A server's job is to be pleasant and serve the customers as quickly as possible. Extraneous conversation slows down the process.

To members in the service industries: Be polite and don't be overly familiar. Your employer and your customers will thank you for it.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 11:40 PM   #17
marksound
Fleet Captain

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Were the kids on your lawn especially noisy this morning?
No.

Did I not tip you enough the last time you waited on my wife and me?

You think that implying that someone is a server is an insult? You must be real classy!

It's just that you sound very much like the broken record that's been playing for the past three thousand years or so about how horrible kids are these days.

Maybe the kids are fine, and you're just a grouch.
You don't know me, so you get a pass this time.

There has been a significant decline in politeness over the last couple of decades. If you're in the age group that falls into that, fine.

I hope you'll take the opportunity to learn from people who have been around longer than you have.

And yes, I'm a grumpy old bastard.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 11:44 PM   #18
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^I don't need a pass. I was pointing out the cliche and inaccuracy of your point, that's all.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 11:47 PM   #19
sojourner
Admiral

I don't think he took the courtesy to checkout your link. Kids these days.
Old June 22 2013, 11:50 PM   #20
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Yeah, they think they know everything!

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 02:23 AM   #21
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Last winter, when I was still using a cane and had an infusion pump slung over my shoulder, I decided to try on a cape. The saleswoman heard me tell my friend that I usually don't like loose, floppy clothes, but sleeves were uncomfortable over my PICC line, so a cape would be perfect for a while. So she starts telling me how great I look for someone who's sick, and how many capes she's sold to women who use wheelchairs, and btw what was wrong with me anyway.
It could be much worse, my friend. My godson has CP & is in a wheelchair [well, now its a Rascal scooter thing]. At the mall or movies, people will just stare. Mostly, it is because they just don't know what to say. Often, they are surprised that he speaks so well... they look at the body and assume he's retarded [or whatever the current PC term is].

I commend your waitperson for, at least, trying to be conversational. She was probably trying to put you at ease. Whether or not it worked is your decision.
Old June 23 2013, 03:49 AM   #22
propita
Rear Admiral

At my local Von's, the cashiers who recognize me say hi, the ones that don't call me "Ms. [last name]." At CVS, there's a couple of tech/cashiers who don't even have to ask my name. Scary that I have so many meds that they know me.

I don't mind a little friendliness from cashiers. I tend to chitchat.

Last edited by propita; June 23 2013 at 08:07 PM.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 04:14 AM   #23
Gaseous Anomaly
Wacked out trippin dude™

all the checkers at my local heb call me sir with the exception of one who's dad i work with and know thru him, she calls me by my last name. i try to just put my stuff on the conveyer and not worry about it again. i've only been short 1 item when i got home and that was taken care of when i called the store back. i guess that is the difference between professionalism and rank amateur.

Gaseous Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 04:43 AM   #24
Tosk
Rear Admiral

On top of that, the wait staff will invariably interrupt conversation at the table. [...] The polite thing to do is to stand quietly and wait for a break.
A server's job is to be pleasant and serve the customers as quickly as possible.
Stand quietly and wait to be deigned with a gap in the conversation, and do your job as quickly as possible!
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 05:22 AM   #25
Yoda
Rear Admiral

My Von's card is linked to an old roommate's name, so they have a woman's name on there, and they have a company policy to address me by that name, so they just throw a mister in front of the last name and hope I don't get mad. It's kind of funny. I never correct them or comment on it, which I assume is in line with what they prefer. Sometimes they might realize their mistake if they have to check my ID.

It's pretty obvious when a cashier just wants people to go away as fast as possible, so be prompt with what you want, prompt with your payment, say "please" and "thank you" without going over the top with it and you'll get out ok.

If you want to brighten their day, the best opportunity is when the customer in front of you is obnoxious and/or stupid. Go up and say "What's with that guy?" and then mock whatever it was they were doing. If you hate on the same customers they hate, the enemy of their enemy is their friend.
Old June 23 2013, 05:46 AM   #26
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Most people just address me as "sir". If there are any companies with a policy to address their customers by name, I've never heard it. Of course, that's probably because my last is extremely difficult to figure out how to pronounce, and my first name that's on any card is one that most people don't go by today, not even myself. (I go by that name over on the left, if you're curious. )
Old June 23 2013, 05:51 AM   #27
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Cashiers have a habit of telling me how shitty their day is going. I have no idea why. I usually ask how they're doing, just to be polite, and the usual response is, "I can't wait to go home."

Um...neat.
If you don't want to know, don't ask! I can imagine that most cashiers will be having, at best, mundane days on the job and that their personal life is more interesting. So, you've got to expect the can't wait to get home bit!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 06:00 AM   #28
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Were the kids on your lawn especially noisy this morning?
No.

You think that implying that someone is a server is an insult? You must be real classy!

It's just that you sound very much like the broken record that's been playing for the past three thousand years or so about how horrible kids are these days.

Ah, TSQ, this is why I love you so much!! Absolutely perfect!

Mr Awe
Old June 23 2013, 06:01 AM   #29
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

No.

You don't know me, so you get a pass this time.

There has been a significant decline in politeness over the last couple of decades. If you're in the age group that falls into that, fine.

I hope you'll take the opportunity to learn from people who have been around longer than you have.

And yes, I'm a grumpy old bastard.
This is so hilarious to read form someone with a KISS avatar.

IS THIS THE FATE OF US ALL?!

Fuck it, I used to be a huge Plasmatics fan, let the young do what they like. I certainly did.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 07:10 AM   #30
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I was a cashier many, many years ago. Mainly, I found it to be a tedious job. I always enjoyed chatted with the customers because it helped pass the time. I wasn't required to chat with them, I just enjoyed it. However, I could always tell whether they wanted to chat or not, and respect their wishes.

As a customer, I also like to chat, but again, I respect the cashier.

Mr Awe