Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 22 2013, 02:40 PM   #121
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Falling Skies - season 3

The people in the tail section survived too.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 04:04 PM   #122
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

If we were using the name USA as a map point, sure I'd still call everything what it used to be because it's easier. However saying "I'm from the USA or I'm an US American citizen" would be stupid, it has no meaning anymore.
Old June 22 2013, 05:20 PM   #123
sojourner
Admiral

It has meaning as long as they choose to make it have meaning.
Old June 22 2013, 06:39 PM   #124
Kitty Worrier
Rear Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
The real problem is that they, for some mysterious reason, felt they had the right to create a new United States without being sure that they were the last -- and only -- survivors of the previous one. And now, not even a year into it, they're acting shocked that there are other humans out there and, even more shockingly, that they have their own body of government in place.

I just don't get the thought processes that go into this kind of writing.
I think in the first season they broke up one large group from Mass into smaller groups. It also seemed like they mentioned other groups from other states across the country. IIRC, all the other Mass groups fell, but what about groups and other survivors from other states? Do they really think every single one of them fell too?
Kitty Worrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 09:07 PM   #125
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They used to in contact with a central command until the pilot when they had to abandon the city. If Hathaway was participating in the resistance, it would have been known, although if he advertised his presence wouldn't that make him a key target?

A friend in my own countries military admitted to me years ago, that any country strong enough to get an army large enough to hold this country across the water, because there's a shit load of water, most of the armies job is to run away and hide in the rain forest for a couple years, until the enemy has established an infrastructure and started moving in civilians to occupy our land, and only then is it their job to strike.

Old June 22 2013, 10:37 PM   #126
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
They used to in contact with a central command until the pilot when they had to abandon the city. If Hathaway was participating in the resistance, it would have been known, although if he advertised his presence wouldn't that make him a key target?

A friend in my own countries military admitted to me years ago, that any country strong enough to get an army large enough to hold this country across the water, because there's a shit load of water, most of the armies job is to run away and hide in the rain forest for a couple years, until the enemy has established an infrastructure and started moving in civilians to occupy our land, and only then is it their job to strike.
That's deep. So the first question you might want to ask while you're heading for your hidey-holes is, "What the fuck was the Navy doing while this notional enemy was crossing this shitload of water?"

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 10:50 AM   #127
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Our navy is four ships half the size of a destroyer, US surplus, and then a whole lot of smaller boats. Our soldiers, airmen and sailors are over trained and extremely competent, but they don't have a lot of toys to play with.

There's less than 4 million people living here. That's not a lot of surplus to sign up to the armed forces or taxes to pay for an armed forces with any scope.

I live in a Banana Republic.

Swap Sheep for banana.

Besides, we all know the secret to winning a game of Risk is holding Australia.

To get to us, Australia has to fall.

How likely is that?

Old June 24 2013, 06:16 PM   #128
sojourner
Admiral

The secret to winning Risk is South America. Australia can be bottled in too easily.
Old June 24 2013, 07:21 PM   #129
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

Never played Risk. I would have thought you'd have to take down a european country first.

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 08:03 PM   #130
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

In Risk Australia (,New Guinea and Indonesia) is a continent called "Australia".

You get additional troop bonus reinforcements at the beginning of each turn if you successfully hold a continent. (I just counted.) Europe has 6 boarders to Green land, Africa and Russia. You'd basically need landmines to defend this place properly. Australia might be bottled in, but on the other hand AUSTRALIA IS BOTTLED IN. One way in or out. Siam. It's also half the size. Which means it's easy to completely conquer in your first turn if you have a foothold and then easy to hold so that you get your reinforcement bonus unless someone chooses to stick 10 horses in Siam, but the reinforcement bonus is 2/5ths the size of Europe so why bother unless you're being a prick and talking smack... And really if you can't talk smack while playing Risk, what's the fucking point?

(I feel very Rimmer right now.)

Old June 24 2013, 10:08 PM   #131
Pavonis
Commodore

So...Cochise has a real name, and not just an alien that is exactly the same as a famous human's name. Good. But I don't buy into Cochise's motive for fighting the fishheads. For a flower that he's never seen that only grows on his homeworld that he's never set foot on? It seemed like he expertly deflected the President's questions about his, and the Volm's, motive for supporting the humans.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Volm superweapon that's being built in Charleston is a bomb big enough to destroy the Earth. That'd be a good way to make the fishheads give up their foothold on Earth. The Volm only have a couple of dozen people on Earth; they might think that's an acceptable number to sacrifice to wipe out the fishhead's entire occupation force on Earth.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 10:24 PM   #132
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
So...Cochise has a real name, and not just an alien that is exactly the same as a famous human's name. Good. But I don't buy into Cochise's motive for fighting the fishheads. For a flower that he's never seen that only grows on his homeworld that he's never set foot on? It seemed like he expertly deflected the President's questions about his, and the Volm's, motive for supporting the humans.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Volm superweapon that's being built in Charleston is a bomb big enough to destroy the Earth. That'd be a good way to make the fishheads give up their foothold on Earth. The Volm only have a couple of dozen people on Earth; they might think that's an acceptable number to sacrifice to wipe out the fishhead's entire occupation force on Earth.
There's a flower in Farscape that the Scarrans value enough to make Universe-wide War.

I won't get to watch this episode until I get home, so I don't know the context of the flower you say the Volm value so much

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 10:39 PM   #133
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The flower is a metaphor for "going home" and they can't go home till the enemy is entirely dead.

Is this a parallel for the US troops in the Middle East?

It's been ten years, in another 8 years if its still going, conceivably Father's and sons will be fighting side by side. Of course fathers and sons are already possibly fighting side by side, but for this to be a truly generational war, soldiers will have to be sent into it who had not yet been born when it started... Of course considering a 6 year old on meth with a kalashikov is pretty fucking devastating it's safe to say that the opposition has already tagged several different generations to put in towards the war effort.

I remember on Stargate Atlantis when Shepherd asked Ronin if he wanted to come back to Earth with them because they were bugging out... "No, that's impossible" He said "I refuse to leave this Galaxy until every Wraith in it is dead."

Old June 24 2013, 10:57 PM   #134
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I think you missed the whole point of his speech.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 11:06 PM   #135
sojourner
Admiral

Nope, Cochise basically sidestepped the question.