TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 22 2013, 05:46 PM   #16
the G-man
Commodore

Re: Paula Dean fired for being a racist

The whole thing is just rather bizarre. She's involved in a lawsuit involving discrimination and then goes on the national media to apologize for her racist statements---wtf? She must have the WORST legal representation and management EVER.
Actually, her attorney probably gave her good advice.

From what I understand, during a deposition in the lawsuit she was asked while under oath if she ever used the word. Not wanting to pull a Bill Clinton and commit perjury she told the truth. The transcript leaked out and so she apologized.

Yeah, it got her fired and may have hurt the lawsuit. But that's loads better than getting hit with a felony charge.

Furthermore, an attorney that advises a client to lie under oath is subject to being a disbarred for suborning perjury.

As such, I can't see how anyone can say she got bad legal advice.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 08:58 PM   #17
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Answers to that question almost all of us would have to say in reply to that question...

"Not recently."

"In the correct context."

"Not maliciously."

"Not since I realized how hurtful that word was."

Why would anyone even ask that question?

Oh.

It's a law suit from the black people who worked for her sick of being called ni####s.

So I guess the only real way to avoid perjury would have been to say "I have only used that word affectionately."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 09:19 PM   #18
publiusr
Rear Admiral

She'll be picked up on Fox within the week, no doubt.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 09:31 PM   #19
marksound
Fleet Captain

From what I know of Paula Deen, she didn't mean anything malicious or hateful. There are still parts of this country where that language is "normal." It's the way people in the deep south were raised. That word has only become taboo in the last 30 or so years. Some habits are hard to let go. Ask her about butter and cigarettes.

Granted, she should have known better. Paula has been around enough to realize that times have changed. This has killed her career, and I think that's punishment enough. But who here hasn't said something they regret, and wish they could take it back?

As for her sons, Bobby's show will probably be pulled. Jamie's show features Paula very rarely, but I think that both sons will suffer for this.

I feel sorry for all of them.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 09:36 PM   #20
the G-man
Commodore

publiusr wrote: View Post

I don't know about that. She might fit in well at MSNBC what with Al "Blood Sucking Jews" Sharpton. Or, better yet, the two of them could star in a remake of "All in the Family" with her as Archie and him as George Jefferson.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 09:49 PM   #21
marksound
Fleet Captain

the G-man wrote: View Post
publiusr wrote: View Post

I don't know about that. She might fit in well at MSNBC what with Al "Blood Sucking Jews" Sharpton. Or, better yet, the two of them could star in a remake of "All in the Family" with her as Archie and him as George Jefferson.
Not funny, and unneccessary. Not at all helpful. Both comments.

IMO, YMMV, blahblahblah.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 11:12 PM   #22
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
As for her sons, Bobby's show will probably be pulled. Jamie's show features Paula very rarely, but I think that both sons will suffer for this.
I think both Bobby's and Jamie's shows will continue. Ultimately, it was a decision just not to renew Paula's.

Food Network will probably continue to run reruns of Paula's show for awhile before it winds up with other former Food Networks shows on the Cooking Channel, perhaps.
Old June 23 2013, 03:01 AM   #23
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

^^ I turned on Food Network this morning and according to my channel menu 'Paula's Best Dishes' was supposed to be on, but it was a Giada DeLaurentis show instead.
On their other channel, the Cooking Channel, Not My Mama's Meals was on, and of course Paula was on it.
Old June 23 2013, 09:41 PM   #24
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

They won't take the sins of the mother out on the sons. In fact... if Paula's fans have their way (I am one, but I'm not nearly as angry as some of those guys!), Food Network will have to do a reversal.
And I do really like Giada.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 11:41 PM   #25
sojourner
Admiral

It won't be about "taking the sins out", it'll be about how the contracts work and whether the sons are willing to continue the shows without her appearing. Though "Not my mama's recipes" has an obvious post-Paula hook built into the title.
Old June 24 2013, 05:11 PM   #26
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

bigdaddy wrote: View Post

It brings up the age old question of if you are less of a fan of a TV or movie actor (and Paula Dean is acting) after their actions or words.
I was never a fan, in fact I'd never even heard of her until about a year ago, but it would definitely affect my view of her if I was a fan.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 09:27 PM   #27
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

I was never a fan of hers. She had a one dimensional, cliched persona and a very limited culinary skill set.

I agree with the poster above that this was probably good timing with her contract coming up for renewal. I'm guessing her popularity has been waning. Make no mistake, if she was making the Food Network a huge sum of money then she would still be on the Food Network.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 09:36 PM   #28
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

ToddKent wrote: View Post
I'm guessing her popularity has been waning. Make no mistake, if she was making the Food Network a huge sum of money then she would still be on the Food Network.
I'm guessing the same because her contract is up this month and if she was still a huge hit they would have her people talking about her ideas for new shows and episodes. Then the lawsuit happened and I feel the ratings were fine, but not amazing anymore and Food Network feels that the bad press would hurt her more where it wasn't worth it.

Jubba the Hut, I mean Rush Limfatass is still on the radio because he still makes money for the few old people that listen to his crap.
Old June 25 2013, 04:19 AM   #29
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Obviously Deen's comments are ridiculous.

But do we really want to be a culture that preaches tolerance by immediately raking anyone over the coals who says something we think is wrong? People with racist beliefs today don't have the power to harm anyone the way they did a few decades ago. In the 1960s racists were destroying lives, now they're just pissing in the wind. Whether Deen's show stays on the air should be based solely on how many people want to watch it, not based on the lawsuit-phobia of the network executives.
I don't think she said it to be racist. She is a wonderful person. I hope to see her on TV again soon. I really don't think she is a racist.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 01:48 PM   #30
TheMurph
Rear Admiral

Just from glancing over the link I would say the biggest problem is Bubba, bot Paula Dean. He created a hostile work environment for his employees. Of course if Paula used the "N" word while referring to or around her employees she should be punished (as it appears she is) as well. I'm not sure Paula is a racist as much as an idiot.