RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,674
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 516
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 22 2013, 08:12 AM   #46
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Re: Blu-Ray vs DVD

Are the blu-rays true HD or just up-converted from SD? If not true HD are there any plans to go back to the original negatives and do it properly? Should I hold on to my money?
Old June 22 2013, 08:31 AM   #47
Mage
Commodore

MikeS wrote: View Post
Are the blu-rays true HD or just up-converted from SD? If not true HD are there any plans to go back to the original negatives and do it properly? Should I hold on to my money?
I'd like to know this as well!! I'm considering buying the Stardate Collection on BR, but only if I'm actually getting proper HD.
Old June 22 2013, 08:36 AM   #48
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

What I've heard (at least in regards to the TOS film set) is that they are actually true HD, but they are scans (maybe 2K?) that were done about a decade ago to be the hi-res sources for the DVD masters.

So yes they are, but they wouldn't be able to match the quality of a transfer that was done in the last year or two, such as the work currently being done on TNG.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 02:06 PM   #49
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

I'm holding off on buying the blu-rays of the films, because I fully expect them to get a fully-remastered re-release at some point, including the extended cut versions of TMP, TWOK and TUC.
Old June 22 2013, 04:16 PM   #50
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Tomalak wrote: View Post
I'm holding off on buying the blu-rays of the films, because I fully expect them to get a fully-remastered re-release at some point, including the extended cut versions of TMP, TWOK and TUC.
Yes, this is certainly on the cards, but I'd say it's at least another couple of years away - if not more. The current BD's are light years ahead of their present/antecedent home video rivals. They are comfortably the finest method of watching the movies at this point.

It all comes down to a question of how long you're prepared to wait I guess - personally, I've been enjoying these discs since release in 2009. YMMV of course, but I've always had an "enjoy it now" type outlook - fully aware of the transitory nature of home video formats! I would estimate Blu-ray Disc is minimally halfway into its lifecycle already!

Last edited by LOKAI of CHERON; June 23 2013 at 01:57 PM.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 04:22 PM   #51
Lance
Commodore

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
It all comes down to a question of how long you're prepared to wait I guess - personally, I've been enjoying these discs since release in 2009. YMMV of course, but I've always had an "enjoy it now" type outlook - fully aware of the transitory nature of home video formats! I would estimate Blu-ray Disc is minimally halfway into its lifecycle already!
^ I see this as a fundamental truth. And it seems as if technology is progressing now as such a rapid rate, every format is likely to be surpassed by "the next big thing" a lot quicker than the formats that preceeded them. DVD was a slow burn really. It took the best part of ten years (and it was really TV-on-DVD that sold it to people, not the lure of owning movies) for it to even begin making an impact on the broader market. In my view Blu-Rays are already facing stiff competition from the likes of online services and other digital methods of watching/owning movies... I don't expect they'll have the shelf life that DVDs did, even taking into account that Blu Ray has been around for a while now already...

I'm such an old codger though, I like owning something I can sit on a shelf and admire. Digital downloads are more convenient, but they aren't nearly as satisfying.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 04:23 PM   #52
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

I don't know, I have seen these films a million times, I don't need to watch them more than once a year now. If that. The DVDs are fine for me until something is released that I deem worth my money.
Old June 22 2013, 04:58 PM   #53
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Lance wrote: View Post
I'm such an old codger though, I like owning something I can sit on a shelf and admire. Digital downloads are more convenient, but they aren't nearly as satisfying.
+1!

I'll always prefer the physical media - even though I take uncompressed rips for viewing on media players with TV box sets. I'd be OK with downloads/streaming if the quality was up to par with Blu-ray - which it most certainly isn't at this point.
Old June 22 2013, 06:06 PM   #54
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

+1!

I'll always prefer the physical media - even though I take uncompressed rips for viewing on media players with TV box sets. I'd be OK with downloads/streaming if the quality was up to par with Blu-ray - which it most certainly isn't at this point.
I won't be surprised if we don't see remastered versions of the older Trek films until the next home video format comes around. 4K?
Old June 22 2013, 07:23 PM   #55
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
+1!

I won't be surprised if we don't see remastered versions of the older Trek films until the next home video format comes around. 4K?
Yep, I think that's a distinct possibility. Personally, I think Ultra High Definition (UHD) at 4K will be the next popular "leap forward" for home video - certainly, it's just not happening for 3D here in the UK at the moment... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22886822 ...see the end of the article.

Paramount will almost certainly strike 4K masters for the catalogue Trek movies, it's just a case of when, and whether, they'll subsequently release 2K BD's from those masters to market.
Old June 22 2013, 08:03 PM   #56
Mage
Commodore

Well, as long as it means that the current BluRay's look and sound better then the current dvd's, the investment is worth it for me.
Old June 22 2013, 08:41 PM   #57
Belz...
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Why go halfway in when you can go 8K ?
Old June 22 2013, 08:58 PM   #58
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Mage wrote: View Post
Well, as long as it means that the current BluRay's look and sound better then the current dvd's, the investment is worth it for me.
Mage, trust me, they most certainly look and sound significantly better than the DVD's! Even TVH, which is arguably the weakest transfer in the set, is waaay ahead of the DVD. You will not be disappointed if you invest.
Old June 22 2013, 09:10 PM   #59
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Personally, I upgraded to the Blus, and find them to be very good overall.

Certainly TMP and TWOK are both well encoded (strange color issue with Regula on TWOK the only issue I have).

In my view, the only thing that needs tackling movie wise is to redo the work on the Directors Edition and present that on Blu-Ray.

They look and sound great to me, and the reviews, though not overstating their case in context, do not provide an accurate impression of this aspect of their presentation.

As a Star Trek and movie fan, I am not above picking nits, and while not 100% perfect, they are still very good presentations of the films.

If you have a Blu-ray player, I recommend going that route.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 08:17 PM   #60
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Well I just got the BluRay version of TMP today, for now the only old Trek movie I had the intention of upgrading to HD. I checked out the image and it looks very nice. Going to watch the whole thing tomorrow morning and see how the original cut holds up.