Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate A Choice of Futures.
Outstanding 54 50.47%
Above Average 39 36.45%
Average 10 9.35%
Below Average 2 1.87%
Poor 2 1.87%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 16 2013, 10:49 PM   #16
Charles Phipps
Commander

Re: ENT: A Choice of Futures by C. L. Bennett Review Thread (Spoilers!

Sho wrote: View Post
I actually had a similar thought earlier, but dropped it again because the people we've been following are hardly average 24th-century humans for example - they have reason (and have been seen to) reference historic events that relate to their own line of work, either as a source of inspiration or because they might be more directly affected by and aware of the consequences than average citizens. I'd expect US military and political leaders to be much more likely to reference the Spanish-American war than someone working in a bakery (then again, maybe the Spanish-American war had significant repercussions for pastry culture?).
I'm willing to allow a larger suspension of disbelief in this respect, particularly because we (in the Doylist sense) know it's because these events didn't occur until they were created. Still, I tend to assume A LOT of stuff has happened over the years in Starfleet too.

So if Peter David wanted to do the Thallonian War or Christopher wanted to do a Klingon War we'd never heard of, I'd be cool with that.
Old June 17 2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Mage
Commodore

Available for ordering on bol.com! Need to check if there's anything else I need, and then 'click', into the shoppingcart.
Old June 17 2013, 08:42 AM   #18
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

So will this be in the vain of the last few books Chris has written? To much telling us what is happening and not actually "showing" us. If so, if I see it in the library, I might pick it up, but Chris "filling in gaps" + The Federations formative years = no appeal for me.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 10:24 AM   #19
Charles Phipps
Commander

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
So will this be in the vain of the last few books Chris has written? To much telling us what is happening and not actually "showing" us. If so, if I see it in the library, I might pick it up, but Chris "filling in gaps" + The Federations formative years = no appeal for me.
YMMV but I have come to enjoy Christopher's works for their deep use of science (even if I find that a bit crazy given I'm squarely on the "Star Trek is space fantasy" side of things) and continuity welding.

The Department of Temporal Investigations really helped make the Novelverse feel like one coherent universe with the rest of the setting to me. If he can do that with Enterprise as a series in its entirety, I'll be quite pleased.
Old June 17 2013, 09:45 PM   #20
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I just pre-ordered this from Amazon. Now I need to finish that Doctor Who novel I'm reading so I can get right to it as soon as it arrives next week.
Old June 18 2013, 07:53 PM   #21
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I also preorder from there. I will have to wait until it gets stuffed in my mailbox.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 11:36 PM   #22
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

(And I got my books and bookstores mixed up. Duh.)

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 01:04 AM   #23
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

I'm so excited (promise not to sing) about this one. I've gotten so far behind in my reading but will skip a few to move this to the top of the heap.
Old June 19 2013, 06:15 PM   #24
Reanok
Commodore

Ditto I'm really excited to get this Enterprise novel next week.I can't wait to see how the story continues for the Enterprise crew.It will be neat to see T'Pol being Captain of her own starship and Malcolm too. I can't wait to see how Trip's story is continued as well.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 01:21 PM   #25
Daddy Todd
Captain

Even though they've been sitting on my metaphorical ebookshelf for years, I've never gotten around to reading the Enterprise Romulan War duology.

But I'll be reading this as soon as it drops into my Kindle on Tuesday. I'll report back if I feel like I run across any "WTF?" moments because I've skipped the last couple Enterprise titles. I don't expect to, based on Christopher's past performance.

Very much looking forward to this one!
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 07:31 PM   #26
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG

The Book Depository has notified me that the book's on its way
Old June 22 2013, 09:47 PM   #27
Ktrek
Captain

I just got my copy yesterday and am looking forward to starting this. I noticed though, that the book has already had two voters giving it the lowest rating possible. If that's true it will be a real disappointment to a whole lot of folks around here. I'll read it and judge for myself but that worries me a little.

Kevin
Old June 23 2013, 05:00 PM   #28
Reanok
Commodore

I got my copy yesterday I've read over a hundres pages so far the story has been quite interesting.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 05:44 PM   #29
Tommunist
Lieutenant Commander

After suffering no ill effects of having the novel touch Goodman's "Federation" book (unless repeatedly doing so opens me up to some sort of quantum level cellular damage that needs Dr. Phlox to help treat) I finished the book his morning.

Overall thoughts: enjoyed the book, and was happy to see these characters again. Compared to the... more complicated DTI novels (which are great, but "heady"), I found it by comparison a bit of an easier read, in that I couldn't put it down. I started this morning and finished! A lazy Sunday morning can afford me that, but I just didn't want to put it down.
While I can say that the novel stands alone, it does have the job of setting up the players and settings (or ships) and setting the stage for more to come. So even while most of the characters are old friends to readers, it's the "pilot episode", so to speak.

Reed's subplot in the book didn't seem to tie into any of the main events, whereas Archer, T'Pol's and Shumar's storylines converged (or will, in the case of the Saurian mission). However, we got a nice little call back to Star Trek IV and some "seek out new life" exploration out of his adventure.

The Orion presence does evoke my good feelings about the Vanguard series, so I welcome the further fleshing out of the syndicate.

I'm sure I'll have more to say about it, but look forward to hearing other's thoughts on the novel as well. It always takes me time to learn names and warm up to new characters.

But for now: I enjoyed the book and recommend it's purchase. I eagerly await the next, I hope the cover for the next incorporates the new uniform look and perhaps the Endeavor. The Photoshopped "Giant Head" look for Trek covers is not becoming, especially for what the lure of this book is all about!
Tommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 04:24 PM   #30
Charles Phipps
Commander

Some thoughts on the book at length.