Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 22 2013, 04:01 AM   #16
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Re: Smallville’s Sears, Kensington’s Wal-Mart

What's this guy saying? There are no Sears or IHOPs in Kansas? I think I'll beg to differ.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 04:05 AM   #17
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
What's this guy saying? There are no Sears or IHOPs in Kansas? I think I'll beg to differ.
There are IHOPs, but Sears are rare. Where I live I can think of only one, maybe two, and I live in a major suburb of Kansas City. But someone somewhere else pointed out it might not have been an actual storefront but more of a place where you see display products and place an order or something.
Old June 22 2013, 04:18 AM   #18
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

You know, my grandfather was a small-town farmer (like Pa Kent), and my grandmother worked part-time at the local Sears, so that all rang very true to me. And, come to think of it, I used to pick up Slurpees and comic books at a nearby 7-Eleven whenever I used to visit them . . . .
Old June 22 2013, 04:32 AM   #19
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
You know, my grandfather was a small-town farmer (like Pa Kent), and my grandmother worked part-time at the local Sears, so that all rang very true to me. And, come to think of it, I used to pick up Slurpees and comic books at a nearby 7-Eleven whenever I used to visit them . . . .
Ha! Superman is your dad!!!! I knew it!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 04:38 AM   #20
TemporalFlux
Commodore

DC Comics has established some fake brands that have been pretty integral to the past 25 years of Superman. Soder Cola. Big Belly Burgers. Chocos (though that was more to replace the word Oreo for Martian Manhunter's addiction).

I don't mind product placement when it seems natural; but it's often hard to seem natural. The IHOP in Man of Steel was pretty dominant; it's almost like part of the movie was about IHOP. The Sears thing seemed more natural (though I apparently missed that Martha worked there?); even the Nikon camera wasn't quite as forced.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 04:54 AM   #21
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

One one hand I sort of see where people come from on the product placement in this movie, on the other hand product placement has always been there in one form or another. There's a scene in "Superman The Movie" where we see a behind-shot of Martha Kent looking out the window and there's a prominently placed Cheerios box on the table. We then switch to a shot in from of Martha looking out the window and the box has re-oriented itself to, again, have "Cheerios" readable. (Rather than now seeing the back of the box.) Continuity error or product placement?

People complained how in "Book of Eli" we get a look-out over a burned-out highway with product logos on trucks. Product placements? Sure. But it also makes sense for them to be there.

Again, maybe to some degree 7-11, IHOP and Sears were a *bit* front and center as far as where the action took place but it's no big deal, really. It's not like the movie stopped for a moment and had Superman turn to the screen and express his love for the Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity breakfast at IHOP. Mention my name and get $2 off! Like he was the host of a 1950s talk show.

And it occurs to me that it wasn't a Budweiser truck in S-II but a Marlboro cigarette truck.

Not going back to fix it, deal.

Well Said. It's like people forgot that the old Superman movies were loaded with product placement

Superman 1 had a Cheerios box placed right in view

Superman 2 had a dozen product placements

Superman 3 had KFC

"Man of Steel" has Carl's Jr Burgers and Nokia
Old June 22 2013, 05:00 AM   #22
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Product placement is one thing that makes these expensive movies possible, kiddies. Deal with it.

It was a lot less egregious in this movie than in the Reeve movies. The Cheerios cereal box (Cheerios gets a credit at the end of the film, no fooling) that Ma Kent sets out for breakfast actually changes position from shot to shot so what the brand name is clearly visible in each one. And who can forget how they featured the giant illuminated Coca-Cola sign smack in the middle of a fight scene in Superman II?

"Realism is irrelevant in a superhero movie" is a bullshit premise. Bringing as much realistic detail to bear as possible in these things creates a verisimilitude that really helps to sell the fantasy.

Buying a brand-name burger on his way to the press conference at the end of Iron Man is just about the best thing Tony Stark does in that movie.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 08:34 AM   #23
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I don't mind product placement when it's done well enough to feel natural. The kind I do have a problem with is when it becomes part of the plot, like say, an episode of a TV show written around it, characters interacting with it and even speaking its name out loud. Like for instance, one TV show had the character shopping for a new car and was all excited about the self-parking Ford Focus, mentioning all of the features they had on the car and showing the character engage the self-park. They used a whole scene of about 5 minutes for this. Another episode of the same show had them using lipton ice-tea packets, mentioning them by name and acting all impressed.

I think that product placement works best when it's subtle. If it's too obvious, it can have the opposite effect.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 10:58 AM   #24
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post

Buying a brand-name burger on his way to the press conference at the end of Iron Man is just about the best thing Tony Stark does in that movie.
Eh, that one is bad. Tony Stark the billionaire playboy wants an "American cheeseburger" as one of the first things he gets when he gets back from (months?) in captivity in the Middle East. I guess at some point he decided he didn't need a real American cheeseburger and decided just to get drive-thru on the way to press conference instead.

I don't mind product placement when it's done well enough to feel natural. The kind I do have a problem with is when it becomes part of the plot, like say, an episode of a TV show written around it, characters interacting with it and even speaking its name out loud. Like for instance, one TV show had the character shopping for a new car and was all excited about the self-parking Ford Focus, mentioning all of the features they had on the car and showing the character engage the self-park.
I want to say that was an episode of the final season of "House", at least I remember an episode where a Focus was shown rather prominently including a commercial-like shot of the rear quarter of the car showing the Ford oval and name badge on the car's trunk deck.
Old June 22 2013, 12:43 PM   #25
FreezeC77
Commodore

There was nothing done in this movie to merit the level of 'egregious' that has not been done in the past as pointed out previously.

Anyone saying otherwise is viewing the world through childhood memories and letting them impact what you accepted then vs what you accept now.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 07:58 PM   #26
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Eh, that one is bad. Tony Stark the billionaire playboy wants an "American cheeseburger" as one of the first things he gets when he gets back from (months?) in captivity in the Middle East. I guess at some point he decided he didn't need a real American cheeseburger and decided just to get drive-thru on the way to press conference instead.

I don't mind product placement when it's done well enough to feel natural. The kind I do have a problem with is when it becomes part of the plot, like say, an episode of a TV show written around it, characters interacting with it and even speaking its name out loud. Like for instance, one TV show had the character shopping for a new car and was all excited about the self-parking Ford Focus, mentioning all of the features they had on the car and showing the character engage the self-park.
I want to say that was an episode of the final season of "House", at least I remember an episode where a Focus was shown rather prominently including a commercial-like shot of the rear quarter of the car showing the Ford oval and name badge on the car's trunk deck.

Heh, nope, though maybe it was since I haven't watched it, but I was thinking of Being Erica. Those were the two moments that really stood out for me, in a bad way, and struck me as rather desperate, and particularly because it had never done product placement as bluntly. Came off feeling like we were watching a commercial, not a TV show. I know you've watched the series, so that's what you were probably thinking of. It was in the 4th and last season.
Old June 22 2013, 08:50 PM   #27
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post

Heh, nope, though maybe it was since I haven't watched it, but I was thinking of Being Erica. Those were the two moments that really stood out for me, in a bad way, and struck me as rather desperate, and particularly because it had never done product placement as bluntly. Came off feeling like we were watching a commercial, not a TV show. I know you've watched the series, so that's what you were probably thinking of. It was in the 4th and last season.
I've not yet watched the 4th season of Being Erica, all the same the last season of House had plenty of Ford car commercials built into the episodes.
Old June 22 2013, 09:27 PM   #28
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Ahh, I see. Then I guess they sound similar in how they did it. Did they also mention the name of the car?

Oh, here it is. Found the clip in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT1xpTDbR8o
Old June 23 2013, 02:31 AM   #29
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Ahh, I see. Then I guess they sound similar in how they did it. Did they also mention the name of the car?

Yikes. Okay, that's pretty darn bad.

I can't find a clip of the House episode, but I don't think it was quite that bad. Not nearly. Just some car commercial-like shots of the car and the name badge on it (I think it was the Focus too) there may have been some lip service to the Sync system on it. But, wow, that Being Erica clip is.... WOW.
Old June 23 2013, 02:42 AM   #30
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yikes. Okay, that's pretty darn bad.

I can't find a clip of the House episode, but I don't think it was quite that bad. Not nearly. Just some car commercial-like shots of the car and the name badge on it (I think it was the Focus too) there may have been some lip service to the Sync system on it. But, wow, that Being Erica clip is.... WOW.

Yeah, when that first aired, it took me out of the moment, which is exactly what you don't want in a TV show. Felt more like the characters were trying to sell a product rather than telling a story, and that's where I felt it crossed the line. Pretty shameful. Later on in the episode, they revisit that by saying she bought the car.