Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 22 2013, 02:43 AM   #691
Dream
Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Funny how Zod learned how to fly in a few days, took Clark 33 years to finally fly. I guess it was Zod's warrior genes that allowed him to master the skill so quickly?
Old June 22 2013, 02:52 AM   #692
Goji
Rear Admiral

Clark was trying to stay inconspicuous, as the movie spent a not-insignificant amount of time demonstrating. Flying around at supersonic speeds runs counter to that. He probably had little to no experience flying prior to the scene where he dons his suit and takes off.
Old June 22 2013, 02:57 AM   #693
Dream
Admiral

Wow, Antje Traue who played Faora almost quit acting before getting her role in MOS became she kept getting so many rejections in other films. I thought Faora completely stole every scene she was in, even those with Zod. I hope she is very successful from now on!

Looking back to an earlier point in her life, Traue says she wasn't going to make it as an actress in Germany. "They said, ‘You’re not famous enough for the lead roles, and you’re too present for the supporting roles — you’d overpower the lead," said the 'Tigress of Zod'. To that end, she sought fame elsewhere and landed the role in her very first audition for an English-language film, a lead role in 2009's Pandorum. But that initial luck was atypical, as Traue then lost out on unspecified roles in "The Hobbit", "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" and a few other films. Things had digressed to a point where Traue was working at a restaurant when the call for "Man of Steel" auditions came in. The actress was hesitant at first, fearful of another rejection. She admitted, "I was at a point where I didn’t want to do it. I was exhausted from so many rejections, and I thought, ‘How many other girls are going to go for this?’ Maybe I was aiming too high."

But as her 30th birthday loomed, Traue decided to throw one last 'all or nothing' toss of the dice. It worked, "And then everything started coming in," the actress exclaimed.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...U0gLjCmWUOb.99
Old June 22 2013, 03:00 AM   #694
Dream
Admiral

Goji wrote: View Post
Clark was trying to stay inconspicuous, as the movie spent a not-insignificant amount of time demonstrating. Flying around at supersonic speeds runs counter to that. He probably had little to no experience flying prior to the scene where he dons his suit and takes off.
If he really wanted to stay inconspicuous he should never use his powers to save people. Clearly, that was never an option for him. Flight is not about showing off, it can be very useful if he has to make a quick exit.
Old June 22 2013, 03:06 AM   #695
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Wow, Antje Traue who played Faora almost quit acting before getting her role in MOS became she kept getting so many rejections in other films. I thought Faora completely stole every scene she was in, even those with Zod. I hope she she is very successful from now on!

Looking back to an earlier point in her life, Traue says she wasn't going to make it as an actress in Germany. "They said, ‘You’re not famous enough for the lead roles, and you’re too present for the supporting roles — you’d overpower the lead," said the 'Tigress of Zod'. To that end, she sought fame elsewhere and landed the role in her very first audition for an English-language film, a lead role in 2009's Pandorum. But that initial luck was atypical, as Traue then lost out on unspecified roles in "The Hobbit", "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" and a few other films. Things had digressed to a point where Traue was working at a restaurant when the call for "Man of Steel" auditions came in. The actress was hesitant at first, fearful of another rejection. She admitted, "I was at a point where I didn’t want to do it. I was exhausted from so many rejections, and I thought, ‘How many other girls are going to go for this?’ Maybe I was aiming too high."

But as her 30th birthday loomed, Traue decided to throw one last 'all or nothing' toss of the dice. It worked, "And then everything started coming in," the actress exclaimed.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...U0gLjCmWUOb.99
Well that's funny considering she played the role perfectly IMO. I enjoyed her take on the Kryptonian villainess. She might be the next Milla Jovovich I think.

As for the movie itself. I'm hoping when it's released on Blu-Ray, that they do an extended version, or at least include deleted scenes, and then I'll cut my own version of the movie to enjoy on my own.
Old June 22 2013, 04:40 AM   #696
AllStarEntprise
Captain

"All of this has happened before and will happen again"
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 04:44 AM   #697
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

"In the name of Rao, son of Jor-El, I beg that you end my life...I can no longer bear the humiliation of wearing this costume...!"
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 04:45 AM   #698
Dream
Admiral

Would it have KILLED them to have the iconic "Kneel before Zod!" line spoken by Zod? I really wish that it been in MOS!
Old June 22 2013, 04:53 AM   #699
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

davejames wrote: View Post
Now that I think about it, I do kinda wish we saw more of an adjustment period for both Superman and the supervillains. It seems like once the fight starts, they're both flying and zipping around like they've been doing it forever.
That wasn't my impression. I don't think any of the villains ever quite mastered flying - they mainly did what Clark did when he first started out, taking huge leaps and then landing on some object (this is the way Faora gets to the pilot in the fighter); during the final fight, the fastest way that Zod can get to Clark above him is to leap onto the side of a building and claw his way up with his bare hands.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 05:05 AM   #700
Dream
Admiral

"From the look of 'em, I'll bet ten dollars they're from Los Angeles."

Old June 22 2013, 05:42 AM   #701
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

And now, the winning team of the 'Tango Dace Off' competition of 1980...
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 06:32 AM   #702
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

feek61 wrote: View Post
TheSeeker wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post

Well I don't think he ever had the opportunity until then. And as had been established pretty well by that point, Clark had been raised by his parents to avoid confrontation and violence, so snapping a guy's neck was probably the LAST thing he could ever see himself doing.
Exactly. How anyone could interpret it any other way is beyond me.
Well, they were in DIRECT contact for the last (seemed like) hours of the movie during the fight scene. So, because Superman was "brought up" different; to avoid conflict, he let the city be destroyed and presumably thousands of humans be killed? Really? Maybe this movie is worse than I thought!! What made him change his mind? I guess I'm too stupid to "get it."
Let's see. When he first fought them in Smallville he was outnumbered.

Then when he finally fought Zod one-on-one he had just finished using almost every ounce of his strength and will to destroy the world builder on the other side of the planet which was recreating a Kryptonian environment and weakening him.

And oh yeah, by the time he got to Metropolis the other world builder had already pretty much done almost all of the damage to the city already. It would have been much greater had he not stopped the aforementioned world builder on the other side of the planet.

I guess you are right! Well done!

Last edited by Savage Dragon; June 22 2013 at 06:42 AM.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 07:13 AM   #703
TemporalFlux
Commodore

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
As for the movie itself. I'm hoping when it's released on Blu-Ray, that they do an extended version, or at least include deleted scenes, and then I'll cut my own version of the movie to enjoy on my own.
I feel confident we'll get an extended / director's cut; most of Snyder's movies get that treatment (Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen and Suckerpunch all getting extended / director's cuts; and 300 getting a special release with deleted scenes not re-cut into the film).
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 07:26 AM   #704
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote: View Post
I feel confident we'll get an extended / director's cut; most of Snyder's movies get that treatment (Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen and Suckerpunch all getting extended / director's cuts; and 300 getting a special release with deleted scenes not re-cut into the film).
I would have been happier with a bit more time spend showing us Clark's journey to become Superman.

And I'd cut down on some of the action scenes, particularly the stuff that's so fast you can't even tell what's going on.
Old June 22 2013, 12:53 PM   #705
Camren
Commodore

I really didn't like it at all. It took itself too seriously, has none of the humour and charm of the Donner movies. Yes it's not supposed to as light-hearted as the originals and is supposed to be more 'realistic' but it didn't work for me.

Some spoilers, do not read much further if you don't want to be spoiled....

The beginning was fine, seeing Krypton and some of the folks inhabiting it. But makes you think why these super advanced aliens who once had a galactic empire didn't do more to save themselves. Apparently the Kryptonians just can't survive outside of Krypton but Kal didn't have any problems doing so. Just a minor quibble though, Krypton was always doomed.
The last hour or so was pretty absurd, just littered with non-stop explosions. I actually found myself getting bored at the monotonous stream of destruction.
And this Kent/Supes was just not very compelling, to put it mildly.
I liked his struggle with adapting to earth and to his powers when he was growing up, but he was pretty uninteresting once he reached adulthood. Both as Kent and Superman, he lacks any charisma whatsoever. Just like the plank who played Supes in Superman Returns. Yes Cavill has enormous shoes to fill and it's going to be impossible to replicate the aura Reeves had, but for me he lacked personality and I felt nothing for him. Really, he's the protagonist and I could not have cared less had Zod killed him. At least Zod had something about him. Passion, cruelty, determination, patriotism... Supes was a cold fish in comparison and was not someone I was rooting for.

And I found his refusal to save his dad absurd, totally absurd. Yes I understand why he didn't rescue Jonathan it but it's totally unbelievable that he would stand and watch his dad die. Practically everyone in his hometown knew of Clark's powers but when it came to using them to save his dad, he refused so the worst kept secret in Kansas wouldn't come out. Stupid.
Speaking of dead dads, Jor-El showed up a bit too much for my liking, even if he was some sort of computer program. Controlling the ship was too much. And maybe it's me but Crowe just seemed bored throughout.

Perry and the rest of the press gang were totally pointless. Would not have made any difference to the movie had they not been involved at all, and I doubt the audience would have cared an iota had they all been killed.
As for Lois...she was okay. Much better than the one in Superman Returns at least.
Although there really wasn't any chemistry between her and Supes, I found their budding romance forced and not believable. And making out just after possibly thousands of people were killed by the tide of destruction caused by Superman and the Kryptonians? That was in bad taste and terrible timing. They were practically standing over the dead whilst snogging. Jeez.

I didn't mind the neck breaking. That was understandable and I don't think it makes Supes a savage killer.

Even as a mindless, popcorn action flick I wouldn't say this was enormously enjoyable as so much of the action was ott. It was nice to see Superman doing his thing but the main character itself was uninteresting and instead of developing his character, they threw in tons of SFX and CGI.

Nowhere near as good as STiD, and ranks below Thor, TDK, and the Avengers in terms of recent comic book superhero movies.

Positives:
Portryal of Kal-El's early struggles were nicely done
Costner's portrayal of Jonathan Kent was good
Krypton was pretty cool
Special effects were good
Zod was a decent villain as was Faora
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote