RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,692
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 841
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 22 2013, 02:51 AM   #1
xvicente
Commander

If VI had featured Saavik instead of Valeris as the traitor

Kirstie Alley or Robin Curtis?

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 02:58 AM   #2
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

Re: If VI had featured Saavik instead of Valeris as the traitor

Well, it would have been Kirstie Alley. From what I've heard the whole reason Nick Meyer changed the character to Valeris was because having Alley come back wasn't going to happen...

But if you're asking what I would have prefered the answer is also Alley.
Andymator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 05:26 AM   #3
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

I had heard that Roddenberry nixed the idea of making Saavik turn out to be the bad guy.

Anyway, I would have been happy with either actress, but I would have agreed with Roddenberry, assuming I heard correctly.
Old June 22 2013, 05:35 AM   #4
TheSubCommander
Commander

For me, Robin Curtis was the better Saavik, except for her hair. She was more Vulcan-like. Alley may have looked better to some (then), but I always preferred Robin Curtis, and I think she DEFINITELY has held up better over the years than Alley. Not to mention, Alley's Saavik was way too human acting for me.

But I am glad Saavik wasn't a traitor.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 05:41 AM   #5
Lance
Fleet Captain

Which came first, Alley saying no to coming back, or Roddenberry kvetching about Saavik being the traitor? One suspects that both events together led to Meyer re-evaluating Saavik's role in the script. I've never heard that he ever even considered asking Curtis back.

The third story is that Kim Cattrall was offered the role after Alley turned it down, but she wasn't keen on simply resurrecting Saavik so Meyer retailored the script to give her a bit more freedom in the role.

Maybe the real explanation is a combination of all three events?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 01:19 PM   #6
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
For me, Robin Curtis was the better Saavik
I thought Curtis would have been fine as another Vulcan character, but not Saavik. Alley made a strong impression.
Old June 22 2013, 01:44 PM   #7
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

Unfortunately, Valeris did cause one problem with the plot.

There could be a major traitor on the Enterprise!!

Is it :-

A - A character we know?

B - A character we haven't seen before this movie?

Having Saavik as the traitor would have been a bold choice, and would have made Spock's fury more justified IMHO. It would have also needed the character to have to explain why betraying them would have been logical - Valeris had a get-out as, apart from Spock, she hadn't even met anyone else before.
Old June 22 2013, 01:47 PM   #8
Dukhat
Commodore

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
I had heard that Roddenberry nixed the idea of making Saavik turn out to be the bad guy.

Anyway, I would have been happy with either actress, but I would have agreed with Roddenberry, assuming I heard correctly.
Roddenberry had nothing whatsoever to do with The Undiscovered Country. For all I know he may indeed have felt that way, but it certainly wasn't the reason why it didn't happen.
Old June 22 2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Yeah, he wasn't even that heavily involved with TNG, let alone the movies. I think he was still technically "creative consultant", but that amounted to passing some script notes that didn't need to be acted on. It's always been said in the official record that it was Roddenberry's insistence that a much-loved character shouldn't be the traitor, but I don't know how much truth there was to that. It sounds plausible, given he was opposed to our heroes having conflicts, but I doubt it was the deciding factor for Nick Meyer.

Wasn't Kim Cattrall Meyer's original first choice for Saavik in TWOK?
Old June 22 2013, 03:02 PM   #10
Lance
Fleet Captain

Tomalak wrote: View Post
Wasn't Kim Cattrall Meyer's original first choice for Saavik in TWOK?
That's what I heard.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 03:04 PM   #11
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
Roddenberry did hate the idea, but there wasn't a damned thing he could do about it. Nick Meyer told him to go pound sand. It was Alley's unwillingness to return that necessitated the change to Eris (later Valeris) rather than Roddenberry's ire.

Meyer writes about this in his autobiography. He says, in retrospect, he treated Roddenberry badly and could have handled the situation more diplomatically

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 01:17 PM   #12
Timo
Admiral

Having Saavik as the traitor would have been a bold choice, and would have made Spock's fury more justified IMHO.
...But what would have been even bolder would have been to introduce this suspicious Valeris character from out of the left field, and then have Chekov be the traitor!

I mean, Koenig has often been a proponent of doing "spooky" and "dark" Trek, and likes to play dark characters (and was particularly delighted to get the Bester gig). He might well have loved to get written as a conspirator and traitor who almost gets to kill Kirk.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Timo wrote: View Post
Having Saavik as the traitor would have been a bold choice, and would have made Spock's fury more justified IMHO.
...But what would have been even bolder would have been to introduce this suspicious Valeris character from out of the left field, and then have Chekov be the traitor!
I doubt Koenig would have accepted that.

It wasn't unthinkable in 1991 that there could be another original series movie after The Undiscovered Country -- The Ashes of Eden was Shatner's pitch for the seventh film, after all -- and revealing Chekov as the traitor would have logically written him out of the potential next film. Koenig might have liked the development, but he also liked the work, and I think the potential work would have outweighed the development in his mind.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 04:41 PM   #14
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

either actor probably would have worked just fine. Having Saavik play that part in the story would have had a lot more dramatic impact and made for a much better movie.
Old June 23 2013, 05:40 PM   #15
Relayer1
Commodore

I'm thinking that Kirstie Alley might have been too big by then, and Robin Curtis was terrible, so another character was the best option.

I like the character Saavik anyway and am glad they didn't turn her bad...