RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,866
Posts: 5,328,873
Members: 24,556
Currently online: 575
Newest member: ndjamena

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 21 2013, 10:20 PM   #211
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
If the movie suffers at the box office, it's not because it's a bad movie. It's because people can't deal with the fans.
Horseshit.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 10:31 PM   #212
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
They say "you criticise new Trek for X, while old Trek had plenty of X."
Yeah, people should stop criticising Nemesis.
I'm on record here as saying it is the best of the four TNG films.
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 11:40 PM   #213
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Others won't bother going to see the movie at the theater because we've been turned off by the amateur critics on this forum and other places online.
By "others" you mean other casual fans, right ? Not other viewers ?
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 12:06 AM   #214
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Maybe some casual Trek fans who aren't immersed in it 24/7 like some other folks are a little turned off by what they expect to encounter at the theater. Fans in costumes and all that crap.

Good job, fandom.
Awww, c'mon. Fans in costume is really only opening night. I've done it and it was fun. And the people in civvies who attend an opening night seem to enjoy it too.

Others won't bother going to see the movie at the theater because we've been turned off by the amateur critics on this forum and other places online.

Good job, fandom.
The general population is hardly going to be monitoring TrekBBS before making a decision to go to a Trek movie.

If the movie suffers at the box office, it's not because it's a bad movie. It's because people can't deal with the fans. Personally, I'm going to wait for the video release.
Really? They think Starfleet-uniformed Trekkies are going to be at every screening?

I saw IM3 at the theater, and I'll probably see MOS there too. But these days, Star Trek fans just get on my nerves.
If a movie is going to look good on a big screen, I like to see it on a big screen if I can. I know lots of people have huge TV screens these days, but I still enjoy a cinema experience.

Not being a car freak, I would think that the audiences for "Fast and Furious 6" would be more unpleasant to be amongst than some Trek fans.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 12:07 AM   #215
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Belz... wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Others won't bother going to see the movie at the theater because we've been turned off by the amateur critics on this forum and other places online.
By "others" you mean other casual fans, right ? Not other viewers ?
By "others" I meant a great big giant group of people in a group, or not, otherwise undefineable than by the fact that they won't see the movie because they've been turned off by the blibbityblab just like this.

In other words, "others." :P
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 12:09 AM   #216
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
If the movie suffers at the box office, it's not because it's a bad movie. It's because people can't deal with the fans.
Horseshit.
Ooh, sorry.

Thanks for playing.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 12:12 AM   #217
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
By "others" I meant a great big giant group of people in a group, or not, otherwise undefineable than by the fact that they won't see the movie because they've been turned off by the blibbityblab just like this.

In other words, "others." :P
1. What Star Trek fans allow other Star Trek fans to convince them to not go and see a Star Trek movie?

2. What members of the general public will even see other Star Trek fans blibbityblabbing on bulletin boards so much as to convince them to not go and see a particular Star Trek movie?

3. Are Iron Man and Superman fans not blibbityblabbing on bulletin boards?
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 12:25 AM   #218
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
By "others" I meant a great big giant group of people in a group, or not, otherwise undefineable than by the fact that they won't see the movie because they've been turned off by the blibbityblab just like this.

In other words, "others." :P
Well then I disagree. I'd be very surprised if anyone outside of fandom even knows this forum, and others like it, exists. If they do, they avoid them because, surprise, they don't care enough about the subject matter. At best they read stuff from IGN or IMDB, etc.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 12:44 AM   #219
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Belz... wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
By "others" I meant a great big giant group of people in a group, or not, otherwise undefineable than by the fact that they won't see the movie because they've been turned off by the blibbityblab just like this.

In other words, "others." :P
Well then I disagree. I'd be very surprised if anyone outside of fandom even knows this forum, and others like it, exists. If they do, they avoid them because, surprise, they don't care enough about the subject matter. At best they read stuff from IGN or IMDB, etc.
So you're really just agreeing with me in an oppositional manner.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 01:20 AM   #220
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Shazam! wrote: View Post
It's entirely possible to judge each incarnation of Star Trek on its own merits without the need for added caveats just in case a 40+ year old episode had something similar.
When you (general you) hold some aspect of the new film(s) up as unprecedented in a bad way, an unforgivable plothole worse than any that have come previously, a violation of Trek principles and Gene's "vision," or sexist in a way Trek has never been before, you better believe you're going to get called on it if there are numerous examples of that not being the case.

It's the hyperbole and hypocrisy about the new films that's the problem for me, not just having a complaint about it (though some people do get overly defensive about any criticism).
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 02:18 AM   #221
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain
 
TREK_GOD_1's Avatar
 
Location: Delta Vega
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Oh, please, this thread and forum is riddled with negative comments about anyone not swallowing nuTrek, while trying to tear down TOS.
Meh, the TOS forum is as bad - worse, really - where nuTrek is concerned.
nuTrek has one recent topic on the TOS forum--and the random posts, but certainly not at the volume of anti-TOS posts in this foseen here, where criticism of TOS actors, the TV series and movies can be found in several threads of page 1 & 2.

At the end of the day, it is all just talk, but the anti-TOS reaction seems very insecure.
__________________
"...to be like God, you have the power to make the world anything you want it to be."
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 02:57 AM   #222
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain
 
TREK_GOD_1's Avatar
 
Location: Delta Vega
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
So, what you're seeing is not so much an unfair criticism of TOS and Roddenberry, it's a criticism of the hyperbolic and unrealistic idealized image of them some fans have in their heads.
TOS did not span decades for no reason. Since the end of its NBC run in 1969, sci-fi TV and film saw other popular and/or influential productions come and go, but TOS--even into TNG/Berman era of series--continued to be regarded as a classic, while other productions are barely mentioned today, or are not as respected. That is not an idealized image, but the series' course through history.

We are not talking about Battlestar Galactica (1978).
__________________
"...to be like God, you have the power to make the world anything you want it to be."
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 04:22 AM   #223
Tommunist
Lieutenant
 
Location: Otisburg
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
blibbityblabbing
Blibbityblabbing?


Tommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 04:46 AM   #224
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

What's going on is that we've got is a couple of people trying to bait others by talking about Paramount replacing Bad Robot when they know it's not going to happen ("but, you know, it could"), and other folks reminding them that we all know it's not going to happen.

The would-be provocateurs need a new act.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 05:13 AM   #225
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post

The would-be provocateurs need a new act.
Or folks could simply stop responding to the old one.

Because old act is old.
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.