Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 21 2013, 01:55 AM   #16
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Re: Men's Wearhouse Guy Fired

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
He started the business. It seems unbelievable they can fire the boss, who created the company and made it successful. It is depressing, to me.
While I agree with you insofar as I kind of feel bad for the guy since he founded the company, he also chose to go public with it, so them's the breaks when you put your fate in the hands of the board and/or shareholders.

All of a sudden, I'm getting a glimpse of a green tailor-suited George Zimmer on a hoverboard going all Norman Osborn and throwing pumpkin bombs at the board for firing him, while cackling "You're all going to burn for this! I guarantee it!."
Old June 21 2013, 02:04 AM   #17
MANT!
Rear Admiral

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
He started the business. It seems unbelievable they can fire the boss, who created the company and made it successful. It is depressing, to me.
All he needs to do is read Steve Jobs book....after the company gets into trouble, he could save the company...and transcend
the very corporation he founded..
Old June 21 2013, 02:24 AM   #18
judgeroy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I read in an article that although he has been "fired", he still owns nearly 4 per cent of the company's stock. The article also stated that he holds the most individual stock, so he can still be a pain in their asses.
judgeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 03:31 AM   #19
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Actually, although you have a right against use of your publicity for commercial purposes, but you can contract that right away. Even if you contracted the right away five years ago with differing expectations, you still contracted it away. Hell, under some circumstances, your parents can contract them away for you, as Brooke Shields found out when her parents agreed for her to appear in nude photos when she was 10 (yes, that's kind of fucked up, but that's an entirely different story). She later wanted them to stop using the photos, they refused, and the New York court said that they didn't have to.

So, if he signed a contract for them to use his image, he contracted away his right to prevent them from using his image for commercial purposes.
If he had contracted for unlimited use of his image, I doubt the board of directors would be negotiating with him. They would simply use it.
Old June 21 2013, 03:36 AM   #20
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Can he go elsewhere? He should go team up with the Most Interesting Man in the World.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 03:52 AM   #21
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Can he go elsewhere? He should go team up with the Most Interesting Man in the World.
With his business acumen, I am sure he could go almost anywhere and run most businesses.

That would be an awesome combination! BTW, The Most Interesting Man in the World was on TOS... and survived being a redshirt! Maybe that is why he is so "Interesting"!
Old June 21 2013, 04:26 AM   #22
Maestro
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I don't always spill beer, but when I do, it's on a Men's Warehouse suit. I like the way it looks!
Old June 21 2013, 11:13 PM   #23
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post

I know what you mean though about it being shocking. Feels like the end of an era. It's like if someone fired Cal Worthington and his dog Spot from the car dealership, or Larry H. Parker from his law offices.
Or Earl Scheib.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Well, given the specific product being sold here - men's suits - it seems unlikely that they'll do what I initially suspected, which is replace the 'old guy' with a bunch of angst-ridden teenagers like what you find in 99% of commercials these days, because those kind of people don't buy suits.
Holy non-sequitur "Get off my lawn," Batman!
The motto of the Corbettite Order seems to be Ite Animose... a Latin phrase that can be translated as "go courageously." Alternatively, it can be rendered as "boldly go," which bears a striking resemblance to a phrase heard during the opening credits of a certain popular television series.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 12:00 AM   #24
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Perhaps they could hire Andrew Robinson? I'd love to see Garak advertising these suits.

"You're going to like the way you look. The Order guarantees it!"
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote