RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,218
Posts: 5,437,870
Members: 24,955
Currently online: 488
Newest member: r.ballman

TrekToday headlines

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 21 2013, 09:11 PM   #16
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Genesis Question

...And we previously saw that the nebula was subject to "lightning storms", so this source of light was probably one of those.

But several facts remain:

a) Genesis was designed to convert a dead planet into a live one, not to build planets
b) Genesis was not flexible, according to its makers
c) Khan showed no skill or interest in reprogramming Genesis anyway
d) The Mutara nebula was right next to the star system where Regula orbited an unknown star (possibly named Regula, too) - that is, within a few impulse-minutes of it

So, when after the detonation we see a living planet next to a star, the obvious assumption is that it's the same old star we are already familiar with - and even the same old planet. If a new star were created, we'd have to explain what happened to the old one!

There are some interesting traits to the eventual Genesis planet that would (quite unintentionally, of course) be consistent with it being the tiny Regula. Sunrises and sunsets are very fast, and the day cycle is short; also, the horizon seems awfully close in the "icy wastes" and "lava hellhole" matte vistas.

Interestingly, the final sunset before the showdown between Kirk and the Klingons falls within the exact same stretch of the horizon where the final sunrise also takes place during Kirk's foot-in-the-mouth(-of-Kruge) moment! The planet seems to wobble an awful lot...

It would be unethical, since it harms life, no matter how small and it would taint the results.
I didn't notice traits in the Marcuses that would suggest they'd find it unethical to kill microbes. David seemed eager to kill higher lifeforms with his (almost) bare hands, and Carol was okay with dating a professional murderer and having his child.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 09:18 PM   #17
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Genesis Question

Timo wrote:
Carol was okay with dating a professional murderer and having his child.
Please explain "professional murderer."
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 09:24 PM   #18
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Genesis Question

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Please explain "professional murderer."
You may find your answers in the "Why Let Khan Live?" thread. He makes a similar argument there.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 09:41 PM   #19
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Genesis Question

It's obvious enough: an extreme pro-life attitude of "killing microbes is a sin!" would involve considering Kirk's profession one of murdering.

(Which it is in objective fact anyway: no law allows for the killing of an enemy soldier on both sides of the exchange - it's always murder from the POV of the victim. There's no law that says "Foreign citizens wearing uniform can freely kill our soldiers"; there's just the custom of neither side prosecuting the other's murderers after the war is concluded, because that wouldn't be practical. At most, key figures such as high-ranking officers may get prosecuted for conducting the murder campaign.)

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 09:49 PM   #20
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Genesis Question

Sran wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Please explain "professional murderer."
You may find your answers in the "Why Let Khan Live?" thread. He makes a similar argument there.

--Sran
If I wanted to look up an answer in another thread I wouldn't have asked for clarification in this one.

But hey, nice talking to ya. :P
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 09:52 PM   #21
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Genesis Question

Umm, I think Sran was doing you a service: the argument on why exactly Kirk is a card-carrying murderer is summarized in a post that is about half a page long...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 09:52 PM   #22
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Genesis Question

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
If I wanted to look up an answer in another thread I wouldn't have asked for clarification in this one.
I've not been here long and would prefer not to involve myself in feuds that existed before I signed up. That's why I didn't say anything here.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 09:54 PM   #23
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Genesis Question

Timo wrote: View Post
Umm, I think Sran was doing you a service: the argument on why exactly Kirk is a card-carrying murderer is summarized in a post that is about half a page long...
That and the fact that the post seemed to incite a few others to come after you. I don't know if their comments were warranted, but I don't think it's a good idea if I get involved in something that started before I joined the forum.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 09:55 PM   #24
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Genesis Question

Timo wrote: View Post
Umm, I think Sran was doing you a service: the argument on why exactly Kirk is a card-carrying murderer is summarized in a post that is about half a page long...

Timo Saloniemi
Sran wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
If I wanted to look up an answer in another thread I wouldn't have asked for clarification in this one.
I've not been here long and would prefer not to involve myself in feuds that existed before I signed up. That's why I didn't say anything here.

--Sran
No feud that I'm aware of ... but hey. Thanks for the help, guys.

Now Timo, if you'd care to elaborate on why you say James T. Kirk is a killer for hire I'd love to know. As far as I know he's a decorated hero of Starfleet and the Federation, many times over.

And no, I'm not going to search for the answer.

If you're going to throw something out there, at least quote yourself.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 12:20 AM   #25
SpHeRe31459
Captain
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Genesis Question

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
Umm, I think Sran was doing you a service: the argument on why exactly Kirk is a card-carrying murderer is summarized in a post that is about half a page long...

Timo Saloniemi
Sran wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
If I wanted to look up an answer in another thread I wouldn't have asked for clarification in this one.
I've not been here long and would prefer not to involve myself in feuds that existed before I signed up. That's why I didn't say anything here.

--Sran
No feud that I'm aware of ... but hey. Thanks for the help, guys.

Now Timo, if you'd care to elaborate on why you say James T. Kirk is a killer for hire I'd love to know. As far as I know he's a decorated hero of Starfleet and the Federation, many times over.

And no, I'm not going to search for the answer.

If you're going to throw something out there, at least quote yourself.
Sorry but what you're asking to do is basically get the thread totally off topic by going down that route. In my experience, in regards to forum etiquette, it's perfectly reasonable to point out the thread where the other topic's discussion is ongoing.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 12:37 AM   #26
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Genesis Question

Bullspit.

A statement was made in this thread. I asked for an explanation. If the best you can do is tell me to go look up another thread, well, kiss my kewpie doll right on the toe.

If asking for clarification of a statement made in a post in this thread is derailing it, then I'm all for it.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 12:44 AM   #27
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Genesis Question

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
A statement was made in this thread. I asked for an explanation. If the best you can do is tell me to go look up another thread, well, kiss my kewpie doll right on the toe.
It's hardly my fault if you're not capable of looking up another thread for yourself. Perhaps I didn't want to throw this thread off track by repeating something that's easy to find somewhere else?

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 12:46 AM   #28
SpHeRe31459
Captain
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Genesis Question

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Bullspit.

A statement was made in this thread. I asked for an explanation. If the best you can do is tell me to go look up another thread, well, kiss my kewpie doll right on the toe.

If asking for clarification of a statement made in a post in this thread is derailing it, then I'm all for it.
If you'd read what was said, it was said that it would derail this thread by at least a half a page. Apparently it's quite the essay.

Again, this is how forums work, I've been involved in forums since the mid-90s which includes moderating them.

Subjects are grouped by topics for a reason. Furthermore, the web is made of up hyperlinks, dynamic content, etc. for a reason. It's expected that you will jump from topic to topic.

It's really no insult nor does it brake any netiquette rules to tell you to jump over to another topic for expanded details.

I mean really the initial statement that was made was pretty inflammatory and you took the bait.

Remember this isn't an in-person academic debate. These are threaded topics.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 12:47 AM   #29
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Genesis Question

Sran wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
A statement was made in this thread. I asked for an explanation. If the best you can do is tell me to go look up another thread, well, kiss my kewpie doll right on the toe.
It's hardly my fault if you're not capable of looking up another thread for yourself. Perhaps I didn't want to throw this thread off track by repeating something that's easy to find somewhere else?

--Sran
Keywords: THIS THREAD.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sheesh.

If you really wanted to try to make me look like a dumbass you'd find the answer yourself and link to it. It wouldn't work, but it's worth a shot.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 12:50 AM   #30
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Genesis Question

Just because a statement was made in this thread doesn't mean that material in other threads can't be referred to. Or do you believe you can run this site better than the current moderator staff?

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
genesis, megadrive

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.