Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 20 2013, 05:20 PM   #16
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Looper....

Kid Blue is supposed to be the younger version of Abe, isn't he?
Old June 20 2013, 05:32 PM   #17
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Kid Blue is supposed to be the younger version of Abe, isn't he?
That's what I thought when I saw it. Abe is disproportionately more disappointed in him than anyone else, he injures him but never permanently, and he seems to take a greater interest in his activities than others. We never see Jeff Daniels limping, but that could have been something he got fixed as he gained more power and wealth in the future.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 05:33 PM   #18
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

And as I recall, Old Abe is killed first THEN Kid Blue is, amirite? So we never have cause to see Abe vanish into thin air like Old Joe did.
Old June 20 2013, 06:11 PM   #19
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Yep.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 06:31 PM   #20
SonOfMogh
Commander

Can I request the OP reviews The Road? Really want to hear his thoughts on that one.....
SonOfMogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 06:39 PM   #21
stj
Rear Admiral

I personally found I did care about whether JGL did the right thing. But I have to admit that it took a lot of good faith investment on my part.

The remark above about how it might have worked much better as a short reminds me of what people who saw La Jetee before 12 Monkeys said.

The Kid Blue/Abe subplot is unresolved, but doesn't really add to the texture of the world depicted. And as is doesn't add anything thematically either.

There are so many scifi movies that are badly plotted, premises not thought out and based on a determination to enact clichés, though, that I tend rather to be grateful for the Loopers or Oblivions, despite their manifest imperfections.
Old June 21 2013, 06:33 PM   #22
JD
Admiral

I really enjoyed Looper. It wasn't a perfect film by any means, but I found the story interesting, and I liked the cast.
In the past few years I've started getting into the more dystopic movies, like this and Hunger Games, and I thought the future presented here was pretty cool. I read some interviews and stuff before this came out, and I believe the director did some fairly detailed world building that didn't make it onto the screen.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 10:33 PM   #23
crookeddy
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
I really enjoyed Looper. It wasn't a perfect film by any means, but I found the story interesting, and I liked the cast.
In the past few years I've started getting into the more dystopic movies, like this and Hunger Games, and I thought the future presented here was pretty cool. I read some interviews and stuff before this came out, and I believe the director did some fairly detailed world building that didn't make it onto the screen.
I wouldn't even put this and Hunger Games into the same genre... The way the movies are presented are just completely different.
crookeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 10:47 PM   #24
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I liked the movie. I'm a Joseph Gordon-Levitt fan, and I think he did a fine job in this movie. The setting isn't so much dystopian, as it seems to be a progression of our current state. We see lovely places around the world, and outside the junkie districts (which are in every city) things look pretty decent, so I think it's less dystopian future, and more "this is what happens when you sell your soul for money, and fall in with the wrong crowd."
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 10:50 PM   #25
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Looper was marketed as a time-traveling sci-fi action adventure. What the movie was actually about though, was a character study of what influences people as they grow up. What turned a child into Joe the amoral assassin? What turned the assassin into the vengeful old man? What turned Cid into a terrible warlord? What person or event might have changed the course of their lives? The movie was much for of a philosophical discussion than a sci-fi adventure, and so was not what most people were expecting.
Old June 21 2013, 10:57 PM   #26
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

InklingStar wrote: View Post
Looper was marketed as a time-traveling sci-fi action adventure. What the movie was actually about though, was a character study of what influences people as they grow up. What turned a child into Joe the amoral assassin? What turned the assassin into the vengeful old man? What turned Cid into a terrible warlord? What person or event might have changed the course of their lives? The movie was much for of a philosophical discussion than a sci-fi adventure, and so was not what most people were expecting.
Yeah, I went in with only the knowledge that time travel was involved. I was pleased with the film overall. I try not to have too many expectations. I take things for what they are. That might make it seem like I'll give dreck more of a pass, but I don't mind. I feel that as long as the internal universe is consistent, I can give it a chance.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 06:04 PM   #27
Mojochi
Commodore

I'm curious about something in this movie. Jeff Daniels' character is from the future time period that Bruce Willis comes from. There's some young gunslinger punk named Kid Blue or something, who Daniels not only seems to despise, but also bears a stark resemblance to a young Jeff Daniels, who also appears to be a similar age to Gordon-Levitt, just as Willis is close in age to Daniels.

Nothing was made of it in the story, but am I the only one who thinks there was the intention for them to be the same person, and it got cut? Seems fair to assume that if you went to the past to be a crime boss, you'd want to keep your younger self close, to keep control over him. It would also explain why he hammers the kid's hand instead of doing permanent damage
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 07:36 PM   #28
JD
Admiral

That does seem to be a pretty popular theory. I've seen mentioned a few times here, and the thought even crossed my mind after I saw the movie.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 08:38 PM   #29
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Mojochi wrote: View Post
I'm curious about something in this movie. Jeff Daniels' character is from the future time period that Bruce Willis comes from. There's some young gunslinger punk named Kid Blue or something, who Daniels not only seems to despise, but also bears a stark resemblance to a young Jeff Daniels, who also appears to be a similar age to Gordon-Levitt, just as Willis is close in age to Daniels.

Nothing was made of it in the story, but am I the only one who thinks there was the intention for them to be the same person, and it got cut? Seems fair to assume that if you went to the past to be a crime boss, you'd want to keep your younger self close, to keep control over him. It would also explain why he hammers the kid's hand instead of doing permanent damage

It's a popular theory and I can go with it, it doesn't -as I recall- contradict anything in the movie. Haven't heard if the movie-creators have ever spoken on the theory one way or another.
Old October 20 2013, 09:17 PM   #30
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

@Mojochi, that's just what I was talking about in my earlier post. Abe is Jeff Daniels' character, and I always thought that Kid Blue was a younger version of him.