MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 3 2013, 04:04 AM   #16
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: PC Problem: Performance, System Restore

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
Thanks. I have Norton Internet Security that runs regular utility scans, so I trust I'm safe from malware. Defrags take too long for me. I don't use messaging services, but I do have quite a few programs that run upon startup; they've never been an issue before.

Based on the specs I gave, is it possible to get an upgrade to Windows 7?
All 3 of my computers run Avast! anti-virus, CCleaner, Defraggler [the last 2 are from Piriform]. All 3 are free and can be downloaded from FileHippo.com. [NEVER, ever click on any ads there, but it is a great resource for downloading software.] I like the FileHippo Update Checker for keeping my oft-used software up to date.

Like the others, if at all possible, upgrade to Windows 7. My older laptop is a Sony VAIO circa 2007, which I upgraded to Win7 from Vista. Performance on the old girl is much improved! The lag time is virtually gone, as well.
Old June 3 2013, 06:55 AM   #17
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Used it for years on my netbook and never had trouble. When it comes to anti-malware nothing is gonna give complete protection, but I'd happily trust any of those to do better jobs than Norton or McAfee.
Yeah, but I'd take a virtual Barney Fife over Norton or McAfee just about any day.

Of course that's forgetting to mention that I have a Firewall, Spybot Search and Destroy and ad-block running for most of the time too.
Of course. It's always important to use malware/spyware programs in conjunction with a firewall, and an ad blocker/no-script extension. SS&D has been a part of my arsenal for years. It's a solid program, and it's great to see that you can still get it for free. TeaTimer alone would be worth every penny of a purchase price.
Yep, I keep meaning to donate, but every time I remember I want to do it I'm skint.
Don't feel bad, I'm the same way.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:03 AM   #18
sojourner
Vice Admiral

AVG used to be good. I stopped using it because it turned into a resource hog. Never had a problem with MSE.
Old June 13 2013, 09:46 PM   #19
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Just an update: I decided to buy a new Dell PC from Best Buy. The only drawback is that it runs on Windows 8. :-\ I can live with it, I'm sure.

Now here's a new dilemma: I'm debating what version of MS Office to get - Office 2010, which is currently what I'm using at work, or Office 365, the new subscription-based service from Microsoft? I've been using Office 2003 all these years and am still getting familiar with the features of the new Office suite at work.

It seems a lot of people are unhappy with Office 365. I must say I find it distasteful to have to "rent" productivity applications for $99 a year. Those who prefer to buy the latest Office 2013 release would have to pay $400 or more for the CD version with a limited number of licenses. Even if I opted to get Office 2010 Premium Home Edition (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/OneNote), I would only be entitled to have it run on three different PCs. What if my computer or laptop crashed (say, a few times) and I had to reinstall everything? I don't like this marketing tactic by Microsoft at all, but I really want to get something for home because I use Word, Excel, and Outlook quite often.

What say you?
Old June 15 2013, 06:34 AM   #20
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

^I recommended Open Office to my godson. He loves it. It is free because it is open source, yet has good functionality.
Old June 15 2013, 06:50 AM   #21
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Is it still Open source? I thought Oracle bought it out and closed the source? That's why LibreOffice was formed?
Old June 15 2013, 04:07 PM   #22
Gary7
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Modern versions of Windows don't really need defraging. Norton and it's "utilities" are products of a bygone era still trying to find a market. Uninstall it. Get Microsoft Security Essentials (a free download from MS) for you're antivirus needs. It does a fine job for home use.
That's not quite correct. Windows Vista/Seven/Eight still have hard disk management practices that allow fragmentation to develop. I troubleshooted some sluggish issues for a friend with Windows 7, and their hard drive was horribly fragmented and with little free space. It took all night to do it, but after the HDD was defragged it ran better.

The issue with defragging is not the operating system, but the magnetic/electronic storage media. The new SSD's (solid state drives) are NOT to be defragmented, as they don't need it and running it will actually prematurely wear them out.

As for anti-virus, I also used to use AVG (free), but I too found it gradually becoming more of a resource hog with later updates. I now use Avast and it's terrific. MSE did have some problems, but they're pretty aggressive in fixing them. It gets quite a bit of praise from various computer tech forums.

Incidentally, CC-Cleaner (Piriform) is great for cleaning up old temp files scattered about the system and for removing old restore points you don't use to reclaim space. But DO NOT use it for cleaning up the registry. All of the experts I've come across on Windows help forums shun it, because most of the time CC-Cleaner will muck around with entries it shouldn't and end up causing problems down the road. Registry fragmentation is generally not a problem any longer with the later versions of Windows.

As for Office... I have downloaded and used LibreOffice, one of the open source incarnations of Open Office. It works really well, surprisingly in fact. It's not quite as fully feature rich as Microsoft Office, but if all you need is the basics the open source route is terrific. I've also tested document inter-compatibility and it seems to work well, if you don't use any advanced customizations in MS Office.
Old June 17 2013, 12:27 AM   #23
farmkid
Commodore

I agree with the LibreOffice recommendation. It's worth trying out before buying Office, especially if you're used to Office 2003. LibreOffice feels more like Office 2003 than the newer versions of Office do and very well could be an easier transition. I've used both, and the only thing I've found that I needed that LibreOffice couldn't provide is more than 1024 columns in a spreadsheet. I have a couple of spreadsheets I use that have about 1500 columns, and LibreOffice can't do that, but most people won't ever need more than a few dozen to maybe a couple of hundred columns. Give it a shot and you may save yourself a few hundred dollars.
Old June 20 2013, 10:31 PM   #24
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Is it still Open source? I thought Oracle bought it out and closed the source? That's why LibreOffice was formed?
From the Open Office website:
Why should I use Apache OpenOffice?

Apache OpenOffice is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.
To answer your question, it is still open source and free of charge.
Old June 21 2013, 06:12 PM   #25
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into Libre Office. My question is, do the files have DOC, XLS, and PPT extensions when I save them?