Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 21 2013, 03:13 AM   #31
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: Is Klingon honor a bunch of hooey?

Lance wrote: View Post
Worf is a pariah in both societies really. But more so the Klingons, ironically enough.
Not ironic at all. Klingons don't embrace outsiders as easily as humans, and Worf's definitely an outsider despite what he looks like. That he tends to view Klingon culture as some sort of unreachable star only complicates the situation, as his presence serves as a constant reminder of Klingon failings, something that a race valuing things like honor or victory above all else would certainly have a problem with.

--Sran
Old June 21 2013, 05:40 PM   #32
U.S.S.Unicorn
Ensign

Location: Where sun nor humidity weakens for humanity's failings

I don't think Klingons define honor radically different from humans neccessarily, but rather honor is a much more widespread idea in Klingon society. With possibly the entire race taking honor so seriously there are going to be many different interpretations.

For example, kindness is a good quality in our Western society today. Say your friend gets this really bad looking haircut that they think is the best thing since sliced bread. You could tell them that it looks bad so maybe they'll change it and not get made fun of or you could lie and say it looks great so they can be blissful. Either way could be interpreted as being kind. Or, you could just be an asshole who likes to make others feel bad and tell them it looks bad under the guise of "helping them out in the end".

The Klingons have gotten enough development to not be considered a planet of hats that all define honor the same way. So I'd say that for some Klingons honor is hooey and just an excuse to kill things but others take it honestly,just not always in the way a human would.
U.S.S.Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 09:14 PM   #33
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

Belz... wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
I think the only reason Worf was the way he was, is that because he grew up away from any Klingons.
I have sometimes wondered if Worf isn't the best representative of the Klingons, so much as he is representative of what they should be. As a Klingon who grew up "off world" he holds himself to a much higher ideal than those back on Qu'onos.
So Worf is the Superman of the Trek universe ?
I hadn't really thought about it that way. But yeah, it's not an unfair comparison. More accurately, I suppose, his upbringing has similarities to that of Clark Kent.

Worf is a pariah in both societies really. But more so the Klingons, ironically enough.
You could say Worf was something of an odd ball because He took everything in Klingon honor tradition seriously.

When he and Kehlar had sex in the holodeck, he instantly wanted to get married according to tradition. Kehlar got freaked out, and said it was what it was--great sex in a holodeck.

He didn't speak to his own son for 4 years, because he said he led a 'warrior's life' - even Martok thought something was wrong with that.

You could call Worf super conservative when it came to Klingon honor.

Other Klingons seemed to have had more liberal views when it came to sex, fighting and politics--but Worf was more rigid about it all.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 11:21 PM   #34
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

In Klingon society, honor is basically a political talking point, like 'Family values'. Politicians score points with their constituents by saying 'You are better than those people over there because you have honor and they don't', they idolize a fictitious past where everybody had honor, then they ignore it and do whatever they want. Just like family values.

There are a handful of people like Worf who are really principled and take it very seriously. But also like in the real world, people like that are also more flexible when they see somebody they care about is getting hurt.

Honor does require victory, but not all victory is honorable. A straight up military victory is honorable, but secretly poisoning somebody or using sneaky financial tricks is not.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 11:36 PM   #35
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
You could say Worf was something of an odd ball because He took everything in Klingon honor tradition seriously.
And probably because he learned about it from books.
Old June 25 2013, 11:00 PM   #36
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Winning, by whatever means, is honorable. Losing is not. You can't really compare Klingon honor to human ethics.
I don't really see any difference at all.
Old June 25 2013, 11:13 PM   #37
Sran
Fleet Captain

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
]I don't really see any difference at all.
I know you meant this as a joke, but it's ridiculous to assume that all humans behave the same way. Not everyone believes in a "win at all costs" way of life. That Klingons do proves only how single-minded and limited they are as a race, but Star Trek routinely portrays non-human races as being exactly that.

--Sran
Old June 26 2013, 01:28 AM   #38
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

Sran wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
]I don't really see any difference at all.
I know you meant this as a joke, but it's ridiculous to assume that all humans behave the same way. Not everyone believes in a "win at all costs" way of life. That Klingons do proves only how single-minded and limited they are as a race, but Star Trek routinely portrays non-human races as being exactly that.

--Sran
The Klingons were fortunate that at least DS9 was able to show Martok, a Klingon who acted more along the lines of the spirit of Klingon Honour that Worf subscribed to, but even he slipped from that path (his treatment of Kor for example).

To an average Klingon though, Duty and Honour are merely what he uses to justify his actions, and he will if necessary twist the definition of Honour to meet his actions, rather than adjust his actions to meet the definition of Honour.

As Barbossa would say:-

Old June 26 2013, 01:32 AM   #39
Sran
Fleet Captain

solariabsg25 wrote: View Post
To an average Klingon though, Duty and Honour are merely what he uses to justify his actions, and he will if necessary twist the definition of Honour to meet his actions, rather than adjust his actions to meet the definition of Honour.
Well said.

--Sran
Old June 26 2013, 05:50 PM   #40
cannicks
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Charles Phipps wrote: View Post
Just curious what your opinion is over the course of the franchise. We've got Worf, obviously, but the majority of Klingons we meet are pretty much the embodiment of dishonorable. Less Miyamoto Musashi and more Genghis Khan crossed with Hell's Angels.

Is the whole thing just a con?
So? it makes them nuanced, and frankly not perfect. They're not Gods. Even the Q don't have a perfect society.
cannicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 05:53 PM   #41
cannicks
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sran wrote: View Post
Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
I do believe Klingons take the idea of honor sincerely, but they define it radically different than humans do. Winning, by whatever means, is honorable. Losing is not. You can't really compare Klingon honor to human ethics.
Not sure I agree with this. I think they take the idea of honor seriously but apply it poorly in their everyday lives. Klingon honor seems to change depending on who's invoking it to justify a particular action.

--Sran
And? Who says Klingons need to be perfect?

You?
Old June 26 2013, 05:55 PM   #42
cannicks
Lieutenant Junior Grade

U.S.S.Unicorn wrote: View Post
I don't think Klingons define honor radically different from humans neccessarily, but rather honor is a much more widespread idea in Klingon society. With possibly the entire race taking honor so seriously there are going to be many different interpretations.

For example, kindness is a good quality in our Western society today. Say your friend gets this really bad looking haircut that they think is the best thing since sliced bread. You could tell them that it looks bad so maybe they'll change it and not get made fun of or you could lie and say it looks great so they can be blissful. Either way could be interpreted as being kind. Or, you could just be an asshole who likes to make others feel bad and tell them it looks bad under the guise of "helping them out in the end".

The Klingons have gotten enough development to not be considered a planet of hats that all define honor the same way. So I'd say that for some Klingons honor is hooey and just an excuse to kill things but others take it honestly,just not always in the way a human would.
And? Klingons are individuals.
Old June 26 2013, 06:19 PM   #43
Sran
Fleet Captain

cannicks wrote: View Post
And? Who says Klingons need to be perfect?

You?
No one's saying that at all. My point is that most of the Klingons in Star Trek are depicted as people who change the definition of honor to fit their actions rather than changing their actions to fit with an accepted standard of honorable behavior. They treat honor like an excuse to justify poor behavior instead of something to aspire to as a means of self-improvement.

--Sran
Old June 26 2013, 06:22 PM   #44
Charles Phipps
Commander

solariabsg25 wrote: View Post
The Klingons were fortunate that at least DS9 was able to show Martok, a Klingon who acted more along the lines of the spirit of Klingon Honour that Worf subscribed to, but even he slipped from that path (his treatment of Kor for example).
I dunno, I'm pretty sure Martok would have been justified by Klingon honor in stabbing the guy to death--let alone not having him on his ship.
Old June 26 2013, 06:22 PM   #45
Sran
Fleet Captain

cannicks wrote: View Post
And? Klingons are individuals.
And because they're individuals, they should each be held responsible for their actions. If a Klingon behaves dishonorably, he should be punished. That he defines honor differently doesn't matter, as a concept that's such an important part of Klingon society shouldn't be treated like it's in the eye of the beholder.

--Sran