Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 20 2013, 11:17 PM   #31
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Re: The Official Speculation Thread about John Hurt's "Secret" Doctor.

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
8th doctor regenerates into Hurt.

Hurt is the most unstable doctor yet. He leads the timelords into battle. He wrecklessly uses "The moment" and ends the time war killing trillions.

The moment has also brought back the 8th doctor. He clearly remembers time as the Hurt doctor but at the same time the hurt doctor has been erased.

One of Moffat's story trick of "It happened and didn't happen at the same time"

8th somehow regenerates again and we get Eccelston.
I'd buy that.
Candlelight wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
8th doctor regenerates into Hurt.

Hurt is the most unstable doctor yet. He leads the timelords into battle. He wrecklessly uses "The moment" and ends the time war killing trillions.

The moment has also brought back the 8th doctor. He clearly remembers time as the Hurt doctor but at the same time the hurt doctor has been erased.

One of Moffat's story trick of "It happened and didn't happen at the same time"

8th somehow regenerates again and we get Eccelston.
That's silly - Eccleston said quite clearly in Dalek that "I MADE IT HAPPEN!" so they can't go around saying 'Hurtnell' isn't a true Doctor because what he did in the Time War because Eccleston was happy to admit what he did.
Yeah, doesn't mean it has to be the same regeneration does it? And besides, if the theory is right, Hurt is still the same person.

Although personally, I hope Hurt is the Valeyard, maybe the Valeyard had two incarnations?
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 11:26 PM   #32
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Isn't it possible that John Hurt is what happens to Donna if she fully DoctorDonna's out?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 02:11 AM   #33
The Wormhole
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Captain Nebula wrote: View Post
One of the articles I read (don't remember which one or where) said that Hurt is going to be the 9th Doctor and that everyone else is being shifted making Matt Smith the 12th Doctor. They're supposed to explain it on the show.
That was the rumour being reported before The Name of the Doctor aired. That episode made it clear that Hurt is an incarnation of the Time Lord known as the Doctor and is implied to be an incarnation that comes before the Eleventh, given he is spoken of in the past tense. And despite the final scene saying "Introducing John Hurt as the Doctor" this incarnation wasn't actually considered to be the Doctor, therefore they don't have to adjust anyone's numerical identification.

If he is indeed somewhere before Smith, than the only options are pre-Hartnell (which could tie-in with the other faces seen in Brain of Morbius) or between McGann and Eccleston (since that's the only other gap he could fit in).
He could also be between Troughton and Pertwee. We don't see the change, we only see Troughton swirling, and then Pertwee pops outta The TARDIS (In Color) in the next episode.

Troughton could've been force regenerated into HurtDoctor and been incredibly bitter they stole a Regeneration from him and gone off the deep end, dropping the name, and doing horrible things. Then when his lifetime is over he regenerates into Pertwee.

I'm more onboard with Pre-Hartnell or between 8 and 9, I'm just saying between 2 and 3 is just as possible.
Hey, I've got a hard enough time accepting the whole Season 6B thing, I'm not even going to start considering a Doctor between Troughton and Pertwee.

Yminale wrote: View Post
Klaus wrote: View Post
^^in that line of reasoning, perhaps HurtDoctor was heroically stopped before he could wipe Monty Python as well, when Clara made a phone call to Terry Jones asking if he'd like to buy them instead???
So does that make Ian Levine the MASTER *head explodes*
The Master is typically a much nicer guy. At the very least, the Delgado incarnation displayed better manners than Levine.
Old June 21 2013, 03:04 AM   #34
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Yminale wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
I doubt this is the actual explanation because it seems far too gutsy for the show and it would risk alienating the fanbase, both new and old.
Ahem "Invasion of Time"
What do you mean by that? If you're referring to The Doctor's use of the DeMat Gun, then I would say Lance Parkin's idea is far gutsier than that.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 03:15 PM   #35
Tom
Rear Admiral

Just thinking what are they going to call Hurt's doctor in the special? not his real name obviously and not Doctor (at least 10 and 11 wont call him that). Maybe call him 9? or even something generic like the 'outcast'.. or the 'Other' (The other..hmmm lol) ?

Last edited by Tom; June 21 2013 at 03:27 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 03:23 PM   #36
chelly
Lieutenant Commander

Dark doctor
chelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 03:27 PM   #37
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Tom wrote: View Post
Just thinking what are they going to call Hurt's doctor in the special? not his real name obviously and not Doctor (at least 10 and 11 wont call him that) ? Maybe call him 9, or even something generic like the 'outcast'.. or the 'Other' (The other..hmmm lol) ?
I think Hurt, assuming he is a Doctor his later selves believe is unworthy of the name, will still call himself "the Doctor" because that's who he is and has, for centuries, thought of himself as.

As for what the Tennant and Smith Doctors call him, they may avoid the question altogether.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 03:34 PM   #38
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Tom wrote: View Post
Just thinking what are they going to call Hurt's doctor in the special? not his real name obviously and not Doctor (at least 10 and 11 wont call him that) ? Maybe call him 9, or even something generic like the 'outcast'.. or the 'Other' (The other..hmmm lol) ?
I think Hurt, assuming he is a Doctor his later selves believe is unworthy of the name, will still call himself "the Doctor" because that's who he is and has, for centuries, thought of himself as.

As for what the Tennant and Smith Doctors call him, they may avoid the question altogether.
But, he did his shameful thing(s) "not under the name of The Doctor", so, I don't know that he neccessarily called himself the Doctor.

If he doesn't have his own name, 10 and 11 will probably refer to him simply as "him" or something like "The Destroyer" or "The Abomination"

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 06:13 PM   #39
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Maybe he's pre Hartnel and is the real first incarnation of the doctor. Maybe he was a real ass hole before he reformed and became the doctor. The tenth doctor in The End of Time stated that "I've taken lives before, convinced people to take their own, and worst I got clever" or something. Maybe he's either referring to the pre 1st doctor or 8-9th doctor. Either way, I think he's probably talking about Hurts "doctor".

Maybe he was the Valeyard before the Doctor, and in his thirteenth incarnation or whatever, changed back. Maybe the Valeyard his the Doctors true nature he keeps buried beneath himself.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 06:24 PM   #40
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Jenna Coleman (she's dropped Louise from her stage name) says Hurt is the Doctor.

allyngibson.net
Old July 4 2013, 12:31 AM   #41
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Above all, I fear I won't be looking at the special and think "I so wish Christopher Eccleston was in this instead of John Hurt!"

Sure, he's a great actor, but I am hoping that the Ninth's part was simply outsourced, in lack of better description, into the 10th and 11th parts, and not have Hurt's Doctor simply be the result of Eccleston's lack of involvement.

But its Moffat, so... its possible.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 01:08 AM   #42
The Wormhole
Admiral

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Above all, I fear I won't be looking at the special and think "I so wish Christopher Eccleston was in this instead of John Hurt!"

Sure, he's a great actor, but I am hoping that the Ninth's part was simply outsourced, in lack of better description, into the 10th and 11th parts, and not have Hurt's Doctor simply be the result of Eccleston's lack of involvement.

But its Moffat, so... its possible.
Based on the was it's been set up, I'm pretty sure John Hurt's Doctor would have been in the special regardless of if Eccleston showed up or not. Since he's not, it just means more to do for Tennant and Smith.
Old July 4 2013, 02:22 AM   #43
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Based on the was it's been set up, I'm pretty sure John Hurt's Doctor would have been in the special regardless of if Eccleston showed up or not. Since he's not, it just means more to do for Tennant and Smith.
The Telegraph quotes the costume designer in an article on the Prince of Wales' visit to the set today: "There was a gap between Paul McGann playing the Doctor and Christopher Eccleston, when we didn't see a regeneration, and John Hurt will fit into that gap. He is a past Doctor, not a future Doctor." Based on that, besides the set-up in "The Name of the Doctor" itself, it sounds like Hurt's Doctor was conceived of as a separate character rather than a replacement for another actor.

allyngibson.net
Old July 4 2013, 02:23 PM   #44
The Wormhole
Admiral

Did I just read that correctly? Did they actually confirm that John Hurt is an incarnation between McGann and Eccleston?
Old July 4 2013, 02:24 PM   #45
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Did I just read that correctly? Did they actually confirm that John Hurt is an incarnation between McGann and Eccleston?
That's the way I read it, yes.

allyngibson.net