Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 16 2013, 09:18 PM   #16
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: First Contact was a reimagining of TNG

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
FC made changes to TNG in the same kind of way WoK made changes to TOS. The changes are far more noticable in this early script, which features the Enterprise as an armed-to-the-teeth battleship, Troi as communications officer and a bridge where all consoles face inward, toward the captain.

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Star-Tr...t-Contact.html
The hell, that opening battle is 10 times better than the one we actually got.
Old June 16 2013, 10:29 PM   #17
Crazyewok
Commander

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
FC made changes to TNG in the same kind of way WoK made changes to TOS. The changes are far more noticable in this early script, which features the Enterprise as an armed-to-the-teeth battleship, Troi as communications officer and a bridge where all consoles face inward, toward the captain.

The hell, that opening battle is 10 times better than the one we actually got.

To shpiboard fighting is way better. Wolf with a bat leth and Armored security
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 01:12 AM   #18
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Having recently watched FC for the first time in a while, I think that too much is made of Picard being "out of character" for the sake of the film.

First, Picard's experience with the Borg was supposed to be like a rape...he might have learned to deal with it, but he wouldn't have just gotten over it.

Second, the stakes were much higher and more personal in the film than they had been in either of the Borg's follow-up appearances on the show. They were returning to Earth, they were assimilating his own ship (a figurative extension of himself), and threatened to undo everything that he held dear (the "origin" of the Star Trek setting).

Third, it was a slow burn, he didn't just start acting crazy first thing that they appeared, he got more intense as the stakes got higher.

Fourth, it was a nice twist on TWOK that this film had the hero in the Ahab role.

Fifth, with everything that was at stake in this situation, he may have been angrily kicking himself on the inside for having chosen not to take proactive measures against the Borg back in "I, Borg".
The Old Building & Loan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 11:50 PM   #19
Aldo
Admiral

The only nitpick I have with the film is we (the audience) have no real connection to the E. While it's a fine ship we're only just introduced to it, so we don't really get the feeling that it's a tragic thing that the Borg are slowly assimilating it.

Now if it had been the D, and it was slowly being taken over by the Borg I think it would have added a lot more drama.
Old June 20 2013, 12:18 AM   #20
Dream
Admiral

I feel that FC was a bold new direction for TNG series like how TWOK was a bold new direction for TOS. However, the writers were able to build on TWOK and we got TSFS and TVH. The writers for TNG seemed to completely ignore why FC was successful in the first place and went an entirely new direction to give us the lame Insurrection. Bad call.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 03:45 AM   #21
Lance
Commodore

Aldo wrote: View Post
The only nitpick I have with the film is we (the audience) have no real connection to the E. While it's a fine ship we're only just introduced to it, so we don't really get the feeling that it's a tragic thing that the Borg are slowly assimilating it.

Now if it had been the D, and it was slowly being taken over by the Borg I think it would have added a lot more drama.
Have to agree, I've always thought the same thing.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 03:12 PM   #22
Trek Survivor
Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
Aldo wrote: View Post

Have to agree, I've always thought the same thing.

Me too. I wish the Ent-D hadn't been destroyed in "Generations".

Then again, if it had been the D, you'd have had civilians and kids being Borgified which might've been too much.
Old June 21 2013, 03:15 PM   #23
Dream
Admiral

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post
Me too. I wish the Ent-D hadn't been destroyed in "Generations".

Then again, if it had been the D, you'd have had civilians and kids being Borgified which might've been too much.
Well, if you immediately stopped watching after "All Good Things" and skipped all TNG movies then the E-D was never destroyed. You also get to skip three bad movies too!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 04:21 PM   #24
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Though of course that script is also more faithful in some respects to the series in terms of characterisations, with Picard on Earth with Cochrane and Ruby, and Riker on the Enterprise doing the action stuff with Worf and Data. Patrick Stewart I think asked for their roles to be switched, because the captain should be in the thick of the action.

Other parts of that first draft are way off, like the way Starfleet is depicted. IIRC during the spacewalk scene, Riker and Worf pivot a torpedo launcher around and blow up the deflector dish. The stuff about "phaser batteries" seems really out of place, though the Borg-busting quantum torpedoes would be revisited years later for Voyager's finale. There are also some scenes totally lifted from Aliens, which were cut or altered.