Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 20 2013, 10:46 PM   #31
Magellan
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Microsoft planning complete reversal of DRM policy for Xbox One

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
To be fair, the Kinnect always being on was my greatest issue personally. And even if they do say that these other things have been "fixed", I don't think I will believe them.
I agree Im not letting MS have that info about me, and not being able to disconnect it is still a deal breaker. Backing out of the DRM was a good idea(obviously their research told them so) but what does the XBone have that the PS4 doesnt? Now that the consumer has been primed to prefer Sony's machine what does MS have to lure them back? $100 more expensive, creepy camera and inferior specs?

Maybe people still love Halo and Gears that much but after a decade I thought we were getting kind of bored with those....
Magellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 11:27 PM   #32
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

What's the name again of that MS representative who caused a twitter backlash concerning the development of the new console a few months ago? (Not Dan Mattrick). He was a complete asshole but I can't remember his name.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 11:39 PM   #33
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Phil Harrison? Interesting thing is, he was in charge of the PS3 launch, and then later went to work for MS.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 11:56 PM   #34
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
What's the name again of that MS representative who caused a twitter backlash concerning the development of the new console a few months ago? (Not Dan Mattrick). He was a complete asshole but I can't remember his name.
Adam "Deal with it" Orth.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 02:47 AM   #35
throwback
Captain

After reading of Microsoft's decision, I was tempted to switch my pre-order from PS4 to XBOX One. However, when I consider what kind of machine I am getting and what I need as a consumer, I decided to stay with my original decision. I want a console that plays games, not a console that does other things than plays games.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 03:53 AM   #36
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
Gears of Wars Cliff Bleszinski throwing his toys out of his pram over MS u-turn on DRM.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ys-bleszinski/

Gears of War designer and former Epic Games man Cliff Bleszinski has said it was Sony - and not "the internet whining" - that pushed Microsoft to withdraw its strict Xbox One used game DRM policies.
Microsoft today announced the complete withdrawal of the Xbox One's controversial used game restrictions and internet requirement for online license checks once every 24 hours - policies which Bleszinski bullishly defended on multiple occasions.

The platform holder said the changes came "as a result of feedback from the Xbox community," handing vocal internet communities a victory of sorts in their backlash against the corporation's original plans. But Bleszinski says it was Sony's largely DRM-free PS4 - and not the voice of the community - which forced Microsoft into the policy changes.
"Sony forced Microsoft's hand, not the internet whining," said Bleszinski via Twitter.

The designer also commented, "At the end of the day many hardcore dislike what was attempted. You can't do well in that space with many of your core unhappy. Especially when users have a choice. The nature of capitalism encourages competition and Sony played into that."

The original DRM proposals would have brought with them the infrastructure for Microsoft to channel some of the money made from used game sales back to publishers. But with that prospect now seemingly gone, Bleszinski believes publishers will only accelerate their efforts to maximize profits using DLC, micro transactions and "tacked on multiplayer".
"Brace yourselves. More tacked on multiplayer and DLC are coming," he said. "You're also about to see available microtransactions skyrocket.
"You're going to see digital versions of your favorite games with added 'features' and content to lure you to digital over disc based. 'Do whatever it takes to keep that disc in that tray' is the mantra of developers in a disc based world," Bleszinski went on.
"I want *developers* who worked their asses off to see money on every copy of their game that is sold instead of Gamestop. Fuck me, right?" he commented.
Oh dear.
Wow. I'm suddenly very glad that I didn't buy Judgment.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 10:47 AM   #37
RoJoHen
Awesome

throwback wrote: View Post
I want a console that plays games, not a console that does other things than plays games.
Huh? Pretty sure they both play games AND do other things.
Old June 21 2013, 10:54 AM   #38
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Think his point is the Xbox is being sold on being an Entertainment box first, games box second.
Old June 21 2013, 10:59 AM   #39
Dream
Admiral

Dear god, all the complaining from the Xbox fanboys through this whole thing has been hilarious!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 12:21 PM   #40
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The latest rumour about the Xbox One is pretty damning for MS if true (emphasis mine):

He then goes on to detail a Family Sharing feature of the Xbox One that has been scrapped due to the change in policies. The feature would have allowed Xbox One owners to share their game libraries with other family members, regardless of their location. However, the engineer reveals that Family Sharing would only let family members access a "demo mode" of the game for between 15 mins and 45 mins, and in some cases an hour. After that time, the shared game would cease and a user would be forwarded to a marketplace to purchase the full game. It's impossible to verify that these are the words of an Xbox engineer, but sources familiar with Microsoft's Xbox plans have revealed to The Verge that the company was discussing the idea of limiting each Family Sharing session to one hour and that game progress would be saved so you could play through the hourly caps or purchase the full game to continue uninterrupted. The engineer notes that Microsoft was contemplating limiting the number of times Family Sharing could be accessed per game until it was purchased.
If true, the family sharing feature was a glorified demo. There's still details missing, but it seems that publishers were forcing MS to limit the number of times you could use the service, and with a maximum 1-hour limit of play I doubt this feature would have allowed players to play games to completion.

If this rumour is true, it would explain MS's decision to remove the DRM so soon after E3. The one thing MS had going for them was the family sharing service, Xbox fanboys were using it to defend the system, and if MS had revealed that all it was was a glorified demo then it would have seemed like a betrayal of their most loyal supporters. Since MS were coming under increasing pressure during E3 to give details on the family sharing system, they couldn't have hidden its true nature for much longer and instead decided to abandon the whole DRM scheme.

If MS really were trying to pass off this system as a replacement for sharing physical discs, that's really sleazy.
Old June 21 2013, 12:27 PM   #41
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

XBOX1(80)
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 12:33 PM   #42
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

-Brett- wrote: View Post
Wow. I'm suddenly very glad that I didn't buy Judgment.
Bleszinksi didn't even work on Judgement. That was developed by People Can Fly, rather than Epic Games proper - and he left Epic six months before it was released.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 03:28 PM   #43
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
The latest rumour about the Xbox One is pretty damning for MS if true (emphasis mine):

He then goes on to detail a Family Sharing feature of the Xbox One that has been scrapped due to the change in policies. The feature would have allowed Xbox One owners to share their game libraries with other family members, regardless of their location. However, the engineer reveals that Family Sharing would only let family members access a "demo mode" of the game for between 15 mins and 45 mins, and in some cases an hour. After that time, the shared game would cease and a user would be forwarded to a marketplace to purchase the full game. It's impossible to verify that these are the words of an Xbox engineer, but sources familiar with Microsoft's Xbox plans have revealed to The Verge that the company was discussing the idea of limiting each Family Sharing session to one hour and that game progress would be saved so you could play through the hourly caps or purchase the full game to continue uninterrupted. The engineer notes that Microsoft was contemplating limiting the number of times Family Sharing could be accessed per game until it was purchased.
If true, the family sharing feature was a glorified demo. There's still details missing, but it seems that publishers were forcing MS to limit the number of times you could use the service, and with a maximum 1-hour limit of play I doubt this feature would have allowed players to play games to completion.

If this rumour is true, it would explain MS's decision to remove the DRM so soon after E3. The one thing MS had going for them was the family sharing service, Xbox fanboys were using it to defend the system, and if MS had revealed that all it was was a glorified demo then it would have seemed like a betrayal of their most loyal supporters. Since MS were coming under increasing pressure during E3 to give details on the family sharing system, they couldn't have hidden its true nature for much longer and instead decided to abandon the whole DRM scheme.

If MS really were trying to pass off this system as a replacement for sharing physical discs, that's really sleazy.
Yeah, the figures simply did not add up when you looked closely at this feature, and considering all the DRM to stop second hand games that was being pushed, you could tell there was a funny smell about this from the minute they mentioned it.

I mean if 10 people bought one X1 game each and shared those 10 games between them and completed said games, then that would mean a potential loss of 90 games sales.

Now i'm a big thicko and even i could work out publishers and game devs would never sign off on a feature that offered such a huge loss in sales, while with the other hand they are storking the X1 DRM and trying to control the second hand market.

Old June 21 2013, 09:22 PM   #44
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Seems MS might be removing Kinect 2 mandatory requirements.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=599491

Old June 21 2013, 09:37 PM   #45
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Already debunked http://www.examiner.com/article/rumo...one-price-drop