Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old June 19 2013, 10:50 AM   #31
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Stargate Universe Rewatch: Now with teacake

I enjoyed SG:U when it was on put a portion of those who had watched SG-1, and SG:A opinion could be summed up in one phrase.

"You changed it now it sucks".

"Yes SG:U was a change in tone from the previous two shows but it had been similiar in tone to the previous shows and if it had still been cancelled after two season the cries would have been "They should have tried something different".

Of course their are a myriad of reasons why some didn't like, i.e. characters.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.

Last edited by MacLeod; June 19 2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old June 19 2013, 12:10 PM   #32
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Water: Non corporeal aliens and big accident on the ice planet. I enjoyed Rush telling Eli off, he really is oddly childish at times. Otherwise this is as meh as Enterprise's ice planet ep

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 19 2013, 02:13 PM   #33
bullethead
Fleet Captain

What I really liked about Water was that TJ wound up being the only one in Young's clique who was competent at being a leader. Her command decisions were a thousand times better than Young and Scott's in prior episodes.
Old June 19 2013, 02:39 PM   #34
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Water, yea, another necessary episode, but, not particularly entertaining for me. Again, it had alot right when you write down the positives of the plot, but, just didn't gel for me.

Yea, TJ in command was good, and it's good they addressed the water situation, and it's good they had an "alien" Alien species, there's been entirely too few really "alien" Aliens in SciFi shows over the years (Though, surprisingly Voyager had more than I would've expected when I did a rewatch of Voyager)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old June 19 2013, 02:42 PM   #35
The Wormhole
Admiral

The problem with TJ being left in command is that medical officers aren't supposed to be in the chain of command. So with Young and Scott gone, it should have been Lt James in command. Of course, the real world reason is that TJ is part of the main cast and therefore needs her screen time. Same reason why doctors end up in command on Star Trek.
Old June 19 2013, 04:21 PM   #36
bullethead
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
The problem with TJ being left in command is that medical officers aren't supposed to be in the chain of command. So with Young and Scott gone, it should have been Lt James in command. Of course, the real world reason is that TJ is part of the main cast and therefore needs her screen time. Same reason why doctors end up in command on Star Trek.
Yeah, at least on Star Trek, the doctors getting command opportunities made some sense because the characters were expanding their skill sets (and in the EMH's case, Voyager ran into so many anomalies that took out the crew that having the ECH made sense). I really wish I knew what the writers were thinking by not having James be part of the main cast (just bump Chloe down to the second string), but I was really disappointed when they tossed out her whole dislike of being left in the dark when the mutiny happened. I was expecting her to lead a third faction that wanted neither Young nor Wray in command, but no, they made her one of Young's toadies.
Old June 19 2013, 10:51 PM   #37
teacake
Admiral

James is great and I would have loved to see her with a lot more to do. A third faction leader would have been excellent.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 20 2013, 01:40 AM   #38
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

I just watched the 2 parter where the crew find Novus and their descendants. Still to this day my fav of SGU and just a good story.
Old June 20 2013, 01:45 AM   #39
The Wormhole
Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
I really wish I knew what the writers were thinking by not having James be part of the main cast (just bump Chloe down to the second string),
I was under the impression that James wasn't originally intended to be that important, it was just because everyone liked the actress that they kept bringing her back. Although, I guess they could have added her to the main cast in the second season or something. Hell, at times the secondary cast was more interesting than the main cast. With her, Colonel Telford, Doctors Brody, Volker, and Park, being the leads on the show I might have been more interested in it.
Old June 20 2013, 02:38 AM   #40
bullethead
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
I really wish I knew what the writers were thinking by not having James be part of the main cast (just bump Chloe down to the second string),
I was under the impression that James wasn't originally intended to be that important, it was just because everyone liked the actress that they kept bringing her back. Although, I guess they could have added her to the main cast in the second season or something. Hell, at times the secondary cast was more interesting than the main cast. With her, Colonel Telford, Doctors Brody, Volker, and Park, being the leads on the show I might have been more interested in it.
It just seems weird that there's one officer that wasn't a main cast member. If there'd been a few more LTs, I probably wouldn't have minded.

But yeah, the secondary cast was a lot more interesting during season 1.5. That was when TJ got derailed by the pregnancy plot, Young was at his most idiotic, and everyone but Rush was making terrible choices. Telford only got interesting once they broke the mind control on him and he quickly outshone Young by virtue of not being the second coming of Chakotay. Then he got ruined by the writers in Twin Destinies for the sake of drama.
Old June 20 2013, 11:01 PM   #41
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

I remember reading in an interview or mallozzis blog, forget which sorry, that the pregnancy plotline was in the works before Alaine Huffman fell pregnant but intended for a different character. When Alaina shared her happy news they simply switched the pregancy plot to TJ. Its never been mentioned who the plot was originally intended for but i have always strongly suspected that it was Vanessa James especially since people grumbled about how TJ and Youngs affair had been implied to finish a while ago but for her due date to be when it was they had to have been having an intimate encounter very very recent to arriving on Destiny whereas James and Scott were in a closet together in the opening episode which would have lined up properly with the babys due date.
Old June 21 2013, 12:49 AM   #42
teacake
Admiral

Oh boy so we really missed out on extra James

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 21 2013, 01:43 AM   #43
bullethead
Fleet Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
Oh boy so we really missed out on extra James
To be fair, the actress is already a big busted anime character made manifest. Adding some extra padding to her would make her so big that reality would warp and let out some Eldritch beings
Old June 21 2013, 02:54 AM   #44
teacake
Admiral

I don't think she's cute enough to be an anime character, which is why I like her. She has a manly face, very charming.

HOWEVER. Scott is just a big meh boy to me and his offspring are of little interest. So the baby would have to turn out not to be his any more. As in something alien took over the blastocyst and converted it into itself. Perhaps the alien bugs from Air and Water, maybe she breathed one in.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 21 2013, 03:29 AM   #45
bullethead
Fleet Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
I don't think she's cute enough to be an anime character, which is why I like her. She has a manly face, very charming.
I like her face too (honestly, what is there NOT to like?). It's just that her bust is so absurdly huge that if it wasn't for her Amazonian build, she would look like some of the more demented anime character designs.

HOWEVER. Scott is just a big meh boy to me and his offspring are of little interest. So the baby would have to turn out not to be his any more. As in something alien took over the blastocyst and converted it into itself. Perhaps the alien bugs from Air and Water, maybe she breathed one in.
Yeah, I wished he kicked the bucket back in Air, during those flashbacks that framed him as a massive dick for not learning anything from knocking up a girl.