Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 20 2013, 11:52 PM   #616
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Jon1701 wrote: View Post
This has been said already but the score was fucking amazing.
Really? I thought it was fucking terrible. What little I noticed, anyway.
It wasn't a "score" in the traditional sense (like, say, Williams or even Zimmer's POTC work). To my admittedly untrained ear it was more like a moody, new age soundscape - background noise and the occasional melodic theme to highlight the more emotional parts. I didn't particularly care for MoS as a score bit since I happen to enjoy moody, new age soundscapes, it will make for some good background, muzak-type listening while I'm writing.

On the plus side, its relative lack of thematic elements meant that the few times the main themes pop up (especially with the piano), they are more prominent and noteworthy.
There was no score! There was just a bow scraping up and down on a cello over and over again for two fucking hours. Hans Zimmer could have had an asthma attack with a kazoo in his mouth and come up with music more compelling and imaginative.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 12:03 AM   #617
Dream
Admiral

I thought the MOS score was pretty forgettable.

Which reminds me, I will be rewatching the Reeve Superman movies over the new few days. Planning to drink in the awesomeness of the John Williams soundtrack and everything else that was great in the first two movies, and mock the last two.

Actually, I remember Superman III as decent outside all the Richard Pryor scenes. Loved the Superman/Clark fight and Annette O'Toole as Lana Lang.

Superman IV was the bad one.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 12:21 AM   #618
Gojira
Commodore

Dream wrote: View Post
I thought the MOS score was pretty forgettable.

Which reminds me, I will be rewatching the Reeve Superman movies over the new few days. Planning to drink in the awesomeness of the John Williams soundtrack and everything else that was great in the first two movies, and mock the last two.

Actually, I remember Superman III as decent outside all the Richard Pryor scenes. Loved the Superman/Clark fight and Annette O'Toole as Lana Lang.

Superman IV was the bad one.
Clark Kent in Smallville and the stuff with Lana Lang makes Superman III still watchable.
Old June 21 2013, 12:33 AM   #619
davejames
Vice Admiral

I know I'm probably alone in this, but I don't really mind the Richard Pryor scenes in that movie either. He actually has some pretty funny lines and reactions in there, I think.

It's only when it gets to the cheesy Atari videogame sequence and evil supercomputer that the movie becomes COMPLETELY unwatchable for me.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 01:13 AM   #620
Captrek
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
How was scientist Jor-El kicking so much ass and killing the legions of bad guys? He even managed to fight off Zod, who should realistically be the deadliest man on the planet if he was bred for war and to be a General and the Defender of Krypton. It was poor/lazy writing to me.
Well even without being bred for it, it's possible all Kryptonians are just naturally very strong and good at fighting.

Or maybe, given the fact he already decided to break taboo and have a natural child, Jor-El's "programming" was a bit off and different from the others.
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Jor-El and Lara were procreating naturally and developing spaceflight in defiance of their world's laws. You don't think he might have prepared for the consequences of that eventually becoming public knowledge by learning some Kryptonian Karate and using his scientific know-how to develop a more badass power armor suit and weapons?
If Jor-El's parents were anything like Jor-El, it's possible that they surreptitiously tampered with his genetic code to give him some natural fighting talent and helped him learn to fight. Given his rebellious nature, it's not difficult to foresee a possibility that he might need to defend himself.

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
What i'm looking back on after the movie has sunk in is the relatively calm/nonchalant way people return to normalcy.

At least 20 blocks and 700 billion dollars in damage.

Then Lombardi asks Lois if she wants to go to a baseball game

Seems weird to ask that

Is there even a baseball stadium left? LOL
Wasn't it basketball? I thought I remembered a mention of "courtside seats."
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 01:24 AM   #621
Dream
Admiral

I REALLY hope Superman helped with the Metropolis cleanup. It's the least he could do after his people destroyed so much shit. I imagine there are many people that resent him for the damages.

Too bad they didn't have a scene with Superman helping fix the city at the end of the movie. I thought something like that was really needed.
Old June 21 2013, 01:26 AM   #622
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I know I'm probably alone in this, but I don't really mind the Richard Pryor scenes in that movie either. He actually has some pretty funny lines and reactions in there, I think.

It's only when it gets to the cheesy Atari videogame sequence and evil supercomputer that the movie becomes COMPLETELY unwatchable for me.
The only thing that I completely hated in SIII was the the whole, completely unfunny slapstick at the beginning of the movie.

Making fun of blind people? Yeah that was pretty fuckin' low.

Richard Pryor had good scenes considering the rest of the material. I liked how he didn't really want to hurt Superman and actually helped him at the end.

Even S-IV had it's moments.

So far, MoS is the most sterile one. I hope they fix the issues in the sequel.
Old June 21 2013, 01:39 AM   #623
Mr Light
Admiral

I certainly hope Man of Steel 2 shows some news footage of Superman helping to put the skyscrapers back up and whatnot.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 02:53 AM   #624
Dream
Admiral

GalaxyX wrote: View Post

All I remember about Superman IV right now is that Nuclear Man was terrible, and the ridiculous scene with Superman carrying the woman in outer space. I still don't know how she was alive during it. It was like the writers had stopped caring at that point!

Yeah, I really wish MoS had been more fun too.
Old June 21 2013, 02:58 AM   #625
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

[QUOTE=Dream;8278117]

All I remember about Superman IV right now is that Nuclear Man was terrible, and the ridiculous scene with Superman carrying the woman in outer space. I still don't know how she was alive during it. It was like the writers had stopped caring at that point! [/
QUOTE]

This presumes that Superman IV even had writers, or that any "writers" (who are not official members of the WGA nor have had any formal training or learning in screen writing) on the movie EVER cared.
Old June 21 2013, 03:07 AM   #626
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Because you don't like something doesn't mean it has "issues." The movie is deservedly a huge success; these people know what they're doing.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 03:10 AM   #627
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Doesn't mean it doesn't have issues, either.
Old June 21 2013, 03:11 AM   #628
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Doesn't mean it doesn't have issues, either.
You've yet to identify a real one - just stuff you don't like.

The folks who made this film would do well to ignore anyone who tells them they should do anything other than what they think best.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 03:17 AM   #629
Dr.H
Lieutenant

Man of Steel is a success and it certainly does quench the popcorn crowd's insatiable thirst for chaotic, crazy action that causes mass deatheverywhere cobbled with blatant religious allusions*cough*cough*unsubtle Jesus nods and melodramatic writing and don't forget the intricate overly expository, sappy, forced moments of emotionally appeal*cough* cough*Russel EL.)

A sequel shall happen!
Dr.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 03:21 AM   #630
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

Dr.H wrote: View Post
blatant religious allusions*cough*cough*unsubtle Jesus nods
In what way is a god-like son, bequeathed to mortal parents and destined to save the world through self-sacrifice and by giving mortals an ideal to strive toward, not an "unsubtle Jesus nod"?