Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 20 2013, 08:34 PM   #136
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm still not sure what excuse a movie that has made over $400 million dollars needs to make?
None at all, obviously. Some of the TOS-Onlies just won't let go of the hope that at some point Abrams will fail, on the ridiculous premise that if this happens Paramount will return to making entertainment of the kind they enjoyed decades ago.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 08:40 PM   #137
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Hardly. Over the decades, Krypton has figured prominently in the character development of Superman, with everything from his search for a greater understanding of his origins to his place among humans, etc. Its not just some diving board the plot uses to get him from point A to B.
I'd say that's more the idea of Krypton/the occasional bad guy (Zod/Doomsday/etc) from Krypton than the methodology by which Superman's parents got him onto the rocket. Perhaps it's just personal opinion, but I'd say most of the great Superman stories don't linger too heavily on what Jor-El was doing leading up to Krypton blowing up. Hell, All-Star Superman, generally considered on of the greatest Superman stories ever, did the origin as: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1pIkhj0WtV...00/allstar.jpg
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 08:49 PM   #138
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post

What is the thread title asking? The industry has different standards now. In the 1980s, 400 million would have been fantastic, now--in the shadow of the world spanning superhero films, a long-lived concept such as Star Trek put through the glitter grinder of JJ should be able to attract the very audience nuTrek set out to capture--the kind of people (beyond die-hards and fanboys) who fill the theatres to see the bigger fantasy films.
I gotta be honest, I don't know anyone whose ever thought Trek had the potential to stand with the billion dollar films. As big a Trek homer as I am, I thought the film would do $600 million worldwide. I saw lots of posts that put the total at between $450-650 million worldwide. No one I know thought Into Darkness was a film that was going to do the same business as Iron Man/Superman. So I'm not exactly shocked that Trek is in the tier below them when it comes to box-office performance.

Futuristic action/sci-fi generally doesn't sell as well as contemporary action/sc-fi.
Old June 20 2013, 09:00 PM   #139
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I gotta be honest, I don't know anyone whose ever thought Trek had the potential to stand with the billion dollar films. As big a Trek homer as I am, I thought the film would do $600 million worldwide. I saw lots of posts that put the total at between $450-650 million worldwide. No one I know thought Into Darkness was a film that was going to do the same business as Iron Man/Superman. So I'm not exactly shocked that Trek is in the tier below them when it comes to box-office performance.

Futuristic action/sci-fi generally doesn't sell as well as contemporary action/sc-fi.
I don't think Trek will ever do a billion, but I do think it has a higher ceiling than either ST09 or STiD would lead to believe.

As I said in the other thread, I think a good zombie alien invaders movie has a $600-700m potential.
Old June 20 2013, 09:00 PM   #140
Belz...
Fleet Captain

CDR6 wrote: View Post
As much as I hate Abrams... (He has made a boat load of money with Star Trek.)
Is the bit in parentheses an explanation for the preceding part ?

Ah, no. Not so much...
And that's your opinion. Objectively it seems to be doing fine. And in terms of story, it's entirely subjective whether one thinks a story is good or not.

Then why does the movie going public still attach a stigma to it?
I don't think there's a stigma at all. And there's 400 million+ reasons why I think so.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 09:02 PM   #141
BillJ
Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post

As I said in the other thread, I think a good zombie alien invaders movie has a $600-700m potential.
The Borg.

I'm on the fence. Either I want a good Borg movie or a time-travel flick that plunges us into the heart of the Eugenics War with Cumberbatch reprising his role as Khan.
Old June 20 2013, 09:02 PM   #142
Belz...
Fleet Captain

KGator wrote: View Post
No its not true.
Actually, it is. Anecdotes aren't as valuable as statistics.

Your myopic definition of which movie is "better" is simply not valid. All you can show is which movie made more money at the box office.
And all anybody else can show is whether they liked it or not, which is not an objective measure of a film. I suppose if you take IMDB's total votes it's a bit better, or at least an indicator of how much people liked it.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old June 20 2013, 09:27 PM   #143
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Your myopic definition of which movie is "better" is simply not valid. All you can show is which movie made more money at the box office.
Which means I'm working with one more objectively measurable quality than you are.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 10:04 PM   #144
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
I don't think there's a stigma at all. And there's 400 million+ reasons why I think so.
It cost $190 million to make ST:ID so it basically broke even. It will probably make a profit after DVD/Blu-ray sales. Let's remember that the last Superman movie did the same thing and there was a 7 year hiatus and a complete reboot.
Old June 20 2013, 10:07 PM   #145
Yminale
Rear Admiral

I don't think Trek will ever do a billion.
If Star Trek wants to do a billion it has to do better in foreign markets. ST even the lame Abrams version is too dialogue heavy.
Old June 20 2013, 10:15 PM   #146
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Yminale wrote: View Post
It cost $190 million to make ST:ID so it basically broke even. It will probably make a profit after DVD/Blu-ray sales. Let's remember that the last Superman movie did the same thing and there was a 7 year hiatus and a complete reboot.
I'm not talking about profit, but attendance.

Old June 20 2013, 10:23 PM   #147
Yminale
Rear Admiral

I'm not talking about profit, but attendance.
I seriousely doubt there are 400 million ST fans
Old June 20 2013, 10:39 PM   #148
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

KGator wrote: View Post
But seriously, if Paramount wants to increase the visibility of the Star Trek franchise the only way to do it is though other types of media. The most obvious would be a television series.
That didn't help DS9, VOY or ENT. Their ratings were on a downward plunge, and the shows screened at later and later times. Here down under, DS9, VOY and Season 1 of ENT were first released on sell-thru home video, but they aired on free-to-air TV at about 10.30pm, 11.30pm and then midnight. Not family viewing by a looooong stretch. (Ironically, they did win their timeslots.)

In the US, the screenings that were wildly successful were the decade that TOS reruns were in early-evening prime time syndication, and TNG when it was the highest-rating one-hour drama in first-run prime time syndication. But US TV doesn't really work that way anymore, so a new model would need to be found.

Last edited by Therin of Andor; June 21 2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typo
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 10:43 PM   #149
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

It cost $190 million to make ST:ID so it basically broke even.
I'm no so sure I agree with your arithmetic.
Old June 20 2013, 10:47 PM   #150
BillJ
Admiral

It cost $190 million to make ST:ID so it basically broke even.
I'm no so sure I agree with your arithmetic.
Even if you double that $190 million, Star Trek Into Darkness is already into pure profit. It's at about $420 million worldwide, meaning its cleared $40 million in profit before the end of its theatrical run and before they've made a penny on either TV rights or home-video.

Sounds like a winner to me.