Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 20 2013, 08:40 PM   #256
Tom
Rear Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Can we send a probe into space to retrieve the original broadcast.. ya know like that 1985 movie Explorers ..lol
Old June 20 2013, 08:57 PM   #257
Christopher
Writer

Tom wrote: View Post
Can we send a probe into space to retrieve the original broadcast.. ya know like that 1985 movie Explorers ..lol
Well, aside from the fact that we'd need faster-than-light drive to catch up with old radio signals... the reality is that any radio and TV signals would pretty much be indistinguishable from cosmic background noise beyond maybe a light-year's distance. You'd need an antenna the size of a solar system to be sensitive enough to detect signal information from 40-50 ly away, and it would still probably be highly degraded.

So obviously what we really need is a TARDIS.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 08:57 PM   #258
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The signal would be far too degraded by now.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 09:08 PM   #259
Tom
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Hence the LOL
Old June 20 2013, 09:10 PM   #260
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, aside from the fact that we'd need faster-than-light drive to catch up with old radio signals... the reality is that any radio and TV signals would pretty much be indistinguishable from cosmic background noise beyond maybe a light-year's distance. You'd need an antenna the size of a solar system to be sensitive enough to detect signal information from 40-50 ly away, and it would still probably be highly degraded.

Ya know, it always comes down to this, and still... none of these "true fans" can be bothered to build the damned TARDIS and go get the episodes

And the Doctor, he's already got a TARDIS, and even he can't be bothered to get them for us

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 09:11 PM   #261
Zeppster
Commodore

It's just going to be damn near impossible to find wiped episodes at this point. Especially with everyone looking. Not saying there will never be another episode found because we've had a few found in the last couple years. But finding anywhere close to the 100+ that are left is pretty much a pipe dream.
Old June 20 2013, 09:50 PM   #262
Relayer1
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
That's where the restoration team comes in...
Old June 20 2013, 10:15 PM   #263
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Supposedly SETI is working on some advance mathematical method to separate the noise from the signal so don't give up hope yet.
Old June 20 2013, 10:21 PM   #264
Yminale
Rear Admiral

There are just too many naysayers. It cost you nothing to hope for the best. I've seen some near impossible things happen (Thank you Yeezus for nuWho and Captain America/Iron Man/The Avengers, now about DS9 and Firefly).

Remember, hope is what keeps us alive!!
Old June 20 2013, 10:27 PM   #265
Zeppster
Commodore

Yminale wrote: View Post
There are just too many naysayers. It cost you nothing to hope for the best. I've seen some near impossible things happen (Thank you Yeezus for nuWho and Captain America/Iron Man/The Avengers, now about DS9 and Firefly).

Remember, hope is what keeps us alive!!
It's not about hope. I'm an optimist at heart. But finding episodes that have been erased isn't an easy thing.
Old June 20 2013, 10:35 PM   #266
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Zeppster wrote: View Post
It's not about hope. I'm an optimist at heart. But finding episodes that have been erased isn't an easy thing.
Hope is not rational. That's why it's hope and not near certainty.
Old June 20 2013, 11:21 PM   #267
Candlelight
Admiral

Yminale wrote: View Post
Supposedly SETI is working on some advance mathematical method to separate the noise from the signal so don't give up hope yet.
10 years ago you couldn't extract a colour signal from a black and white film recording either...
Old June 20 2013, 11:47 PM   #268
Christopher
Writer

^None of which changes the fact that we can never catch up with signals that are travelling faster than light -- not without FTL technology which is probably unattainable. Unless some aliens out there intercept the signals and are kind enough to beam them back to us, or unless they hit some hitherto-undiscovered Space Mirror, we're out of luck.

(I actually came across a hoax news story a while back claiming that astronomers had detected old signals being bounced back by some kind of reflective phenomenon in space, and lost Doctor Who episodes were specifically mentioned as being among them. Apparently this hoax has been floating around the Internet for several years and occasionally gets re-reported by someone gullible enough to fall for it.)

Old June 20 2013, 11:57 PM   #269
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

(I actually came across a hoax news story a while back claiming that astronomers had detected old signals being bounced back by some kind of reflective phenomenon in space, and lost Doctor Who episodes were specifically mentioned as being among them. Apparently this hoax has been floating around the Internet for several years and occasionally gets re-reported by someone gullible enough to fall for it.)
<Raises hand in shame>

I read it in August, and saw it was April, but, didn't notice it was the first, the year 2009 I read as April 9, 2009

A Link to my shame
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=185972

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 12:06 AM   #270
Christopher
Writer

^Oh, right, I forgot it was an April Fool's Day prank rather than a hoax per se.