MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 20 2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Real Starships? Maybe...

http://videos.huffingtonpost.com/nasa-claims-starships-traveling-faster-than-light-maybe-possible-517482416

Amazingly, it looks like a "ring ship" from Star Trek.
Old June 22 2013, 09:07 PM   #2
publiusr
Commodore

Re: Real Starships? Maybe...

I like worldships myself

Starship charts
http://nextbigfuture.com/2013/06/sta...varieties.html

Cool Fractal pyramids
http://nextbigfuture.com/2013/06/nan...d-fractal.html
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 11:50 PM   #3
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Sector 7 wrote: View Post

Tell Huffington Post "Welcome to last year".

Also, fixed your link.
Old June 23 2013, 01:18 AM   #4
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post

Tell Huffington Post "Welcome to last year".

Also, fixed your link.
Sorry about the link. Thank you, sojourner, for fixing it. What went wrong?
Old June 23 2013, 01:48 AM   #5
StarMan
Vice Admiral

^colon, slash slash.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this new model still reliant on yet-to-be-proven negative energy?
Old June 23 2013, 02:30 AM   #6
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

^I'm no rocket scientist, so I'm not sure. I know they are talking about FTL capability, though.

I looked at it many times & could not figure it out. Thanks!
Old June 23 2013, 08:14 PM   #7
publiusr
Commodore

Don't think we will ever see FTL. I'm pushing for Nuclear Salt Water Rockets myself.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 09:37 PM   #8
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

publiusr wrote: View Post
Don't think we will ever see FTL. I'm pushing for Nuclear Salt Water Rockets myself.
Never say "never". When I was a kid, if you told me that a small box in my kitchen would cook food in minutes, I'd have called you crazy. Now almost every home and dorm room has a microwave!
Old June 25 2013, 04:32 AM   #9
StarMan
Vice Admiral

I hold out hope given there are still some sizable chunks (see dark matter and dark energy) of reality we haven't been able to place in a satisfactory framework. I am absolutely not an expert in this, so if someone more qualified can say otherwise I'll defer to their better judgement.

The idea that we would be absolutely restricted for all time to slower-than-light speeds is a dismal one; the answer to this question will undoubtedly have an enormous impact on the shape of our civilization.
Old June 25 2013, 08:03 AM   #10
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

publiusr wrote: View Post
Never say "never". When I was a kid, if you told me that a small box in my kitchen would cook food in minutes, I'd have called you crazy. Now almost every home and dorm room has a microwave!
You must be very old -- the first commercially available microwave oven was put on the market in 1947 and the first small, domestic version was produced in 1967.

Adapting radar technology to excite water molecules to cook food is probably many orders of magnitude more simple than manipulating the space-time metric by harnessing negative mass-energy. I'm not expecting the latter in my lifetime although I'd love to be proved wrong.
Old June 25 2013, 03:54 PM   #11
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^They didn't become popular until the mid to late 70's in my area of the country.
Old June 25 2013, 06:44 PM   #12
Pavonis
Commodore

You raise an interesting question. You say that you wouldn't have believed microwave ovens would exist when you were younger. So now that microwaves are commonplace, you're prepared to believe anything is possible?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 11:32 PM   #13
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
^They didn't become popular until the mid to late 70's in my area of the country.
Same here. My dad, brothers and I pooled the $500.00 to get my mom her first microwave in 1982, a Mother's Day present.
Pavonis wrote: View Post
You raise an interesting question. You say that you wouldn't have believed microwave ovens would exist when you were younger. So now that microwaves are commonplace, you're prepared to believe anything is possible?
Such is the mindset of the Optimist, my friend. It is also the mindset of many of us who grew up watching TOS and science-fiction... that there is hope for the future.

Remember, Kirk's TOS communicator seemed like fantasy. Now, almost everyone has a cellphone.
Old June 26 2013, 12:03 AM   #14
Pavonis
Commodore

Even optimism should be tempered by reality, otherwise it is too easily lost. Microwave ovens and starships are a long way apart, science- and engineering-wise.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 02:10 AM   #15
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^Would be so funny if a news report came out tomorrow saying scientists had found a way to make an ftl drive using microwave radiation.