Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 18 2013, 09:27 AM   #91
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Falling Skies - season 3

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
No proof yet the new human is telling the absolute truth. Lotsa people can claim to be president...
That's certainly true.

stj wrote: View Post
Pope was the guy who let his crew rape women. I have to disagree that the episode was good characterization. It retconned Pope into a nicer person, but why is that desirable?
It's not a retcon, it's character development-- he's being changed, perhaps, by his experiences in the war. We'll see.
Old June 19 2013, 03:23 AM   #92
Kitty Worrier
Rear Admiral

Cap.T wrote: View Post
Kitty Worrier wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post

Yes, she is/was pregnant. I'm not sure when she gave birth, but that is not a fat suit she is wearing.
After the premiere, I had to look it up. According to IMDB, she had a baby in December. I also read that filming started in August, so she was pregnant through out filming, it seems.
According to Producer/Directors Greg Beemans Blog next weeks episode was
Makes sense.

I also have to agree that Pope is going through evolution/character development. And I like it.
Kitty Worrier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 03:38 AM   #93
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
No proof yet the new human is telling the absolute truth. Lotsa people can claim to be president...
That's certainly true.
You didn't translate their reactions?

Benjamin Hathaway was President before the invasion and he's been fighting his own war against the aliens for the last two years (or he's been hiding in a bunker with his thumb up his bung hole.).

The part has been cast with Stephen Collins formerly of 7th Heaven and Star Trek the Motionless picture. Oh, and he's going to be on Devious Maids next week.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 09:29 AM   #94
RJDementia13

Yes, obviously Benjamin Hathaway was president when the aliens came, but we don't know yet if the guy claiming to be Hathaway is really him.

Stephen Collins is pretty good, despite 7th Heaven and Decker. His best role was Jake Cutter in Tales of the Gold Monkey.
Old June 19 2013, 09:54 AM   #95
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

So are you thinking that he's locked in his bunker, and all presidential orders are are written on toilet paper and tucked under a door frame? But it all turns out to be a complicated shell game like in Patterns of Force?

Or is it one of Hathaway's bullet catching Secret Service Dopplegangers lying constantly about the legitimacy of his appearance like with what happened with Richard Nixon and they based the movie Dave on?

Old June 19 2013, 05:16 PM   #96
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I think the president is a wimp and has been living in a bunker somewhere for 2 years crying in his own filth.

Then it turns out there are some humans still alive and he goes "I'm the boss, I mean president, listen to me!"
Old June 19 2013, 10:09 PM   #97
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

There are no concessions for ignoring elections in perpetuity. Hathaway's Presidency might have expired?

Old June 19 2013, 11:03 PM   #98
RJDementia13

Actually, I think it's probably him, but it certainly could be a fake-- or he could be a collaborator.
Old June 20 2013, 03:24 PM   #99
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

He's the President of Nothing. The United States doesn't exist any more. He has about as much authority as the President of the USSR did in 1993.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 03:55 PM   #100
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
He's the President of Nothing. The United States doesn't exist any more. He has about as much authority as the President of the USSR did in 1993.
Well technically he'd have authority over any remaining US armed forces. While regional governments after an alien invasion may not recognize the authority of a national government it would be interesting in such a scenario how individual combat units would respond to announcement that the President is alive and in control.

I've never been in the military but as I understand it they are indoctrinated to follow the chain of command and if commanders had allegiance to the President - so would they - IMO?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 04:17 PM   #101
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
hyzmarca wrote: View Post
Well technically he'd have authority over any remaining US armed forces. While regional governments after an alien invasion may not recognize the authority of a national government it would be interesting in such a scenario how individual combat units would respond to announcement that the President is alive and in control.

I've never been in the military but as I understand it they are indoctrinated to follow the chain of command and if commanders had allegiance to the President - so would they - IMO?
Yea, I think you're mostly right.

As Guy pointed out, if the term he was elected for is still active, without a question, he is the President and it is his duty to lead.

If the term he was elected for has expired, during the invasion/rebellion, then he is the natural one to lead, and I believe he has a duty to do so, however, if there is a mechanism for objecting and replacing him, then it becomes stickier.

In addition to all that, The Federal Government is not the ruler of the United States, the States are self Governing, and merely have to stay within the confines of Federal Laws. Other than Federal laws, the only "authority" over the states comes from the power of the Military and the power of the purse. Well, obviously, the power of the purse is gone, and there is no infrastructure for enforcing Federal Laws Countrywide, so, really, local leaders aren't practically bound by the President's authority (Other than his possible ability to take his authority with the military). Of course if a President does turn up, it would be in everyone's best interest for the Local Leaders to work with the President and allow him to take the lead coordinating with the various local groups (providing he isn't some "off the rails" fool)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 04:52 PM   #102
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

Simple answer: There's no guarantee that the Presidential Bunker survived the initial invasion of beings capable of crossing space and invading entire planets.

Therefore, any assertion of the president's survival and legitmacy is suspect until someone from the 2nd Mass can see his face and confirm his identity. If that happens next episode, fine. Until then, I don't trust Sniper Barbie as far as I can throw her.

-Tom Clancy
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 04:56 PM   #103
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Simple answer: There's no guarantee that the Presidential Bunker survived the initial invasion of beings capable of crossing space and invading entire planets.

Therefore, any assertion of the president's survival and legitmacy is suspect until someone from the 2nd Mass can see his face and confirm his identity. If that happens next episode, fine. Until then, I don't trust Sniper Barbie as far as I can throw her.
Oh, absolutely the information shouldn't be judged as accurate without proof. My post, was about what the possibilities are once they have that proof.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 05:13 PM   #104
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Oh, absolutely the information shouldn't be judged as accurate without proof. My post, was about what the possibilities are once they have that proof.
I was just making a general observation in response to the whole discussion, not just your post. Actually everything you said makes sense. Really, if the president turns out to have survived his only automatic authority is command over Federal armed forces. His authority over civilians requires federal laws, which are enacted by Congress. If the records of the old laws (including the Founding Documents) are destroyed, and there is no Congress to enact new ones, then even if the old president survived I'd say any civilian willing to continue his allegiance to President Tom Mason ought to. It's up to those soldiers who were in the military before the invasion to decide to respect the survivor's authority or resign from Federal service and enlist as regulars in the current resistance.

In short, there is no "have to" when it comes to accepting this Hathaway's leadership...except if he wants to force the issue at the point of a gun.

And if he does that, what kind of leader would he be anyway?

-Tom Clancy
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 07:52 PM   #105
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

He has already forced the issue at gunpoint, through the sniper and killed someone.

We don't know if his term is up, but I wouldn't follow a president. There are likely 100,000 Americans left at most, the aliens won, we lost. There is no Country anymore. Tom to me is leader of the city, which is The New USA.