Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 20 2013, 06:10 AM   #106
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Well, it's not really endless. There were a few seasons, a few movies, and now a few more movies. Regardless, whether it ends or doesn't end doesn't make it remarkable or unremarkable. Quality is what does that.

As for the Christmas thing, your mileage may vary. Catholics tend to be more into Jesus' humanity and sacrifice, while non-Catholic Christian denominations often focus more on his feats. Regardless, most of them are more about what Jesus did as an adult, rather than what happened in a manger.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 02:29 PM   #107
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
When ST09 came out it was the first entry in a new, young, hip reboot of the franchise. Now it's an established film series, so it's probably not going to have quite the same level of excitement with the younger crowd as the first did. That's all just pure speculation on my part, but I think it makes sense.
I thought of an alternative explination as well. Trek just couldn't compete for teenagers with limited movie going $$ and time who had the choice of: Trek, Iron Man and Fast Furious. IM and Fast and Furious just more appealing choices for the younger crowd.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 03:27 PM   #108
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
As for the Christmas thing, your mileage may vary. Catholics tend to be more into Jesus' humanity and sacrifice, while non-Catholic Christian denominations often focus more on his feats. Regardless, most of them are more about what Jesus did as an adult, rather than what happened in a manger.
Congratulations on missing the point in a rather spectacular way.

What Christians believe or don't doesn't interest me. Christmas is, however, a pretty goddamned big deal over a pretty big chunk of this planet - even among a lot of non-Christians. Mary and Joseph and those shepherds do pretty damned well, two thousand years later, for a "prologue."

Anyway, you don't get Superman so of course you don't understand the story's appeal. Obviously a lot more other people do than give a fuck right now about Star Trek.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 03:39 PM   #109
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

I'd say my giant collection of Superman comics, most of which don't feature Jor-El in any capacity, suggest I do get Superman and that the Krypton stuff - beyond his being a survivor of a doomed planet - is just a prologue. But hey, don't let me slow down your need to be arrogant and annoying.

Last edited by LobsterAfternoon; June 20 2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old June 20 2013, 03:41 PM   #110
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I thought of an alternative explination as well. Trek just couldn't compete for teenagers with limited movie going $$ and time who had the choice of: Trek, Iron Man and Fast Furious. IM and Fast and Furious just more appealing choices for the younger crowd.
Makes sense, though I'm sure a crowded marketplace isn't the only reason for those movies doing better.
Old June 20 2013, 03:47 PM   #111
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I think people celebrate Christmas for the same reason that Christians incorporated all the pagan rituals that had nothing to do with Jesus' birth, which really isn't that great of a story. I can't speak for Superman, but Jesus' story is definitely not about the origin.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 03:58 PM   #112
CDR6
Lieutenant Commander

As much as I hate Abrams... (He has made a boat load of money with Star Trek.) The problem is that Paramont is trying to jamb a square peg (Star Trek television) into a round hole (Movies). Then get up set because no matter how hard they hit the thing...it won't work. They can't figure it out that some things just don't translate well... the way as same books to movies and vice a versa.
Old June 20 2013, 04:00 PM   #113
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
I'd say my giant collection of Superman comics, most of which don't feature Jor-El in any capacity, suggest I do get Superman and that the Krypton stuff - beyond his being a survivor of a doomed planet - is just a prologue. But hey, don't let me slow down your need to be arrogant and annoying.
No, and no.

CDR6 wrote: View Post
As much as I hate Abrams... (He has made a boat load of money with Star Trek.) The problem is that Paramont is trying to jamb a square peg (Star Trek television) into a round hole (Movies). Then get up set because no matter how hard they hit the thing...it won't work. They can't figure it out that some things just don't translate well... the way as same books to movies and vice a versa.
No, they're succeeding at satisfying the vast majority of the Trek fan base while extending the appeal of the Franchise quite a bit - especially internationally. So it does work, and there's nothing here that they can't "figure out."
Old June 20 2013, 04:05 PM   #114
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

I think it works, it just doesn't work as well as stuff like Iron Man or Superman does. There's success and then there's the kind of success that Robert Downey Jr has.
Old June 20 2013, 04:07 PM   #115
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Is the problem Paramount or a select group of fandom that can't let their vision of Star Trek go?

To claim a movie that has made over $400 million worldwide is "Paramount trying to jam a square peg into a round hole" seems off the mark. Star Trek can work on the big screen its been proven on multiple occasions even before Abrams came along.
Old June 20 2013, 04:09 PM   #116
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Is the problem Paramount or a select group of fandom that can't let their vision of Star Trek go?

To claim a movie that has made over $400 million worldwide is "Paramount trying to jam a square peg into a round hole" seems off the mark. Star Trek can work on the big screen its been proven on multiple occasions even before Abrams came along.
Exactly so.
Old June 20 2013, 04:40 PM   #117
CDR6
Lieutenant Commander

All living things evolve. You can't have old Trek anymore, if for no other reason than some of the TOS cast are no longer with us... Duh? As long as Abrams makes money they're going to hand him a new hammer, with out regard to product.

Studios are about money. If a film clears costs it's a success as far as the studio is concerned. How big a success remains to be seen when the finial tally is in. In the world of film story is all. Regardless of ones like of lens flair and exploshions or not.

In the real world of film some things just don't translate from one medium to another, I wish it were other wise, but that is not the way things work.
Old June 20 2013, 04:42 PM   #118
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's translating just fine.
Old June 20 2013, 04:48 PM   #119
CDR6
Lieutenant Commander

Ah, no. Not so much...
Old June 20 2013, 05:10 PM   #120
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ah, no. Not so much...
Can you actually show where the translation fails? Most TOS films were in the top-10 the year they we made as were Generations and First Contact.

TOS was never an ensemble piece, it was always the Kirk and Spock show and the Kirk and Spock show has always translated well to the big-screen.