TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 15 2013, 12:51 PM   #76
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Re: MYTHBUSTERS 10th Anniversary Season

Christopher wrote: View Post
As for not braking on turns, no, thank you -- I'll take the loss for safety's sake. It'd be better to get a car with regenerative braking, as I think it's called -- that system that captures some of the lost energy from braking and puts it back in the battery or whatever.
The point here isn't so much to avoid breaking, but to avoid accelerating more than you need to in the first place, and if a corner is coming up, to lower your speed by going off the gas in anticipation of having to reduce your speed.
Old June 15 2013, 02:07 PM   #77
Christopher
Writer

^Well, I do that anyway, but often it doesn't diminish your speed enough by the time you get to the curve. And you saw how Kari was reacting -- it was pretty harrowing to make the turns at the higher speed. I'd think the loss of calm would cancel out a lot of the benefit from not braking.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 03:19 PM   #78
Forbin
Admiral

Apropos of nothing, I'm consantly driving behind people on our local roads who are driving at 30 MPH (10 below the limit), and who hit the brakes as they go around even the gentlest of curves. I usually don't even have to brake even when I'm behind them, 'cause, well, we're only doing 30MPH for chrissake!
[/NJ driving rant]
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 03:11 AM   #79
Christopher
Writer

Ugh, this week's episode is combining two things I don't like. One is the kind of episode that's a crossover with/promotion for another Discovery Channel show, something that's happening far too often lately (and a tightrope walker? Seriously?). The other is the "duct tape survival" format. I didn't like the previous one and I don't like this one much better. I mean, they've already proven that duct tape is useful. They're not really doing any mythbusting with things like this; it reduces it to just a typical Discovery "building stuff" show. Indeed, since they fictionalize the premise, it kind of works against the spirit of busting myths.

There was a bit of the ol' experimental process at the river, though, with the test of the bubble-wrap flotation suit (which was a total bust) and the designs of the boats. For once, Adam's design seemed a lot more elegant and practical than Jamie's. But the pretense of their being stranded bothered me, because it meant they were riding the rapids without helmets or padding. And those duct-tape life jackets looked suspiciously like real life jackets disguised with duct tape.

And really, why even bother running the rapids or climbing down that second cliff? They'd already gotten proof of concept for the boats and the climbing rig. There was no science there, it was just "Let's pretend we're a Discovery survival show."

The problem is that the Discovery Channel has mutated around Mythbusters during the decade it's been on the air. When the show began, Discovery was still at least somewhat a science-oriented channel. Now it's just macho stuff that's mostly about either building things, wilderness survival, or explosions. And that creates too much pressure for Mythbusters to follow suit.

Old June 20 2013, 12:59 PM   #80
Redfern
Commodore

Yeah, usually I watch the show with focused attention, but last night, it was just more or less playing in the background as I puttered upon the computer.

You mention the possibly disguised industry standard life jackets. I wonder if the duct tape "rope" was really disguising a certified rock climbing rope...for safety and liability contracts. Which leads one to wonder how many of those shots were really Adam and Jamie. I will admit at least one or two of those shots with Adam thrown from his canoe and rolling through the rapids really looked like Adam. If it were a stunt double, the production certainly matched the performers better than some other shows.

And the show always loses a few points from me when Kari is not present.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 01:54 PM   #81
Forbin
Admiral

Two good things:

1) A 1965 Corvair!!!! That was my first car! Mine was even red! And mine broke down all the time too! I was kvelling.

2) Adam bobbing in the water in the bubble suit with his legs in the air. My wife almost fell off the couch laughing. She said it was almost as funny as him getting slapped in slow motion.

Question: Is "Bubble Pack" a copyrighted brand name? 'Cause they were going way out of their way to always refer to it as "bubble packaging".
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 02:39 PM   #82
Christopher
Writer

Redfern wrote: View Post
I wonder if the duct tape "rope" was really disguising a certified rock climbing rope...for safety and liability contracts.
I had the same thought. Really, I hate it that they even tried to fictionalize the premise. It goes against the spirit of Mythbusters.

Which leads one to wonder how many of those shots were really Adam and Jamie.
As a rule, they don't fake things like that. And these guys have put their bodies on the line for worse. There were probably more safety precautions off-camera than we were shown.

And the show always loses a few points from me when Kari is not present.
True. And the other two, I guess.

What I miss are the earlier seasons when they had more than one woman on the show. There were Kari, Scottie (whom I really liked), Christine, and eventually Jess, though I think she came along after Scottie and Christine had left. Honestly, I think I'd be happier if Scottie had stayed and Tory had been the one replaced by Grant. Although I guess Tory serves a purpose, since he's the strongest and usually takes the lead on the physical stuff. He's kind of a living equivalent of Buster.

Forbin wrote: View Post
Question: Is "Bubble Pack" a copyrighted brand name? 'Cause they were going way out of their way to always refer to it as "bubble packaging".
I think I heard them call it both bubble pack and bubble packaging. The brand name that they avoid using is Bubble Wrap, which is the term I know it by. It's one of those brand names that have become effectively generic through usage, like escalator and yo-yo and band-aid, but apparently it is still trademarked by the Sealed Air Corporation (a creative work is copyrighted, while a name or logo is trademarked), so they have to avoid it.

Old June 20 2013, 03:35 PM   #83
Redfern
Commodore

If I got one thing out of this episode, it's the insulating properties of the bubble packaging. I never considered that. But I should have. The sun shield I tuck under my car's windshield is a Mylar type reflective plastic covering a semi-rigid layer of bubble sheeting, an item I've had for years.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old June 20 2013, 07:46 PM   #84
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah there wasn't much value as far as mythbusting goes, but I still enjoyed it, was pretty impressed by some of the stuff Adam and Jaime had to do. Even if they had tons of safety experts around, it still looked like it required an awful lot of exertion on their part, and like it was still plenty dangerous.

Especially going down the rapids in their flimsy boats (and yes, that was clearly Adam who had fallen into the water, which was a pretty shocking thing to see) and climbing down that rocky outcropping into the water at the end (which just looked like a completely insane thing to do).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 03:10 AM   #85
Christopher
Writer

Okay, this was a much better episode. Much like the season-premiere JATO rocket car episode, they revisit two of their most notable failures, cases where they didn't quite get things to work right in the time available, and try to figure out how to get them to work right this time.

Painting with explosives: I always liked this myth, and I really like the revisit. It's cool to see Adam and Jamie applying the experimental method, testing out designs and learning from their observations. It makes me feel all sciencey just watching it.

And "C4 jerky?"

This is a myth I have a vested interest in seeing proven viable, since in my novel Only Superhuman there's a device called a "scene-painter grenade" that fools security cameras (which in the future could be embedded in pretty much any surface in a room) by coating the whole room in a spray of nanoparticles that "freeze" the incoming light and continue projecting light of the same color and intensity, so that any hidden camera lens sees a still image of the room until the particles wear out. So if Adam and Jamie could get this gimmick to work, it'd be proof of concept for my idea. (Although I hedged by asserting that the nanoparticles would flow together to form a solid coating first.)

I'm a little disappointed that Adam cheated and changed the parameters of what he was trying to do, since that left only one chance to get it right. And while the high-speed shot of the multicolored paint explosion was gorgeous, I kind of had a feeling that the resultant "art" would be just the kind of dull brown or gray you get when you mix too many colors together. And that's pretty much exactly what happened.

I also wasn't very satisfied with Jamie's rig, which seemed a few steps backward from the Flower of Death he got moderately good results with last time. I might've liked to see a further refinement of that principle. Now, his idea of the sphere with nozzles had potential, but why did he limit it to only four nozzles? If it had had many nozzles pointing in all directions, that would probably have worked better. Although I suppose too many holes would've meant too little blast containment. But there's got to be a better balance.

Bifurcated boat: This was more of a conventional revisit, not just trying to perfect something they didn't manage to pull off before, but responding to fan criticisms about their methodology. Still, it was worth revisiting. The result of the test was interesting -- the channel marker breaking instead of the boat.

But that leaves me confused about the ultimate result. They got the split at high speed, but only by using a metal pole. So how come the supposedly wooden pole in the original photo was intact?

Old June 27 2013, 08:54 AM   #86
intrinsical
Commodore

That was a good episode. Any episode with the rocket powered sled is always a fun episode.

I'm starting to think the only way to successfully paint a room with explosives lies in being able to create a ball of paint-mist. It would require a way of breaking up a stream of high speed paint into tiny globules... not an easy task.

Last edited by intrinsical; June 27 2013 at 02:53 PM.
intrinsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 01:44 PM   #87
Christopher
Writer

I think they were on the right track with the Flower of Death the first time; they just needed more, smaller "bins" pointing in more directions, and more small charges, one for each. It's all about directing the energy the right way.

Old June 27 2013, 02:39 PM   #88
Redfern
Commodore

Yeah, that high speed shot of Adam's technique was absolutely beautiful. Depending upon the resolution of that footage, they should make posters of those few frames.

Jamie's device...it looked like some kind of SteamPunk atomic bomb, something we might have seen in an old "Wild, Wild West" episode. Sure made an interesting ringing "thud" when detonated.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old June 27 2013, 06:49 PM   #89
davejames
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
But that leaves me confused about the ultimate result. They got the split at high speed, but only by using a metal pole. So how come the supposedly wooden pole in the original photo was intact?
Yeah I think they were definitely right to call it "busted" based on the 25 mph the boat was supposedly going (even if that speed would cause damage, I doubt it would result in the boat being completely impaled like we see in the photo).

But it still seems likely there are some wooden poles out there that might have been a lot stronger and able to withstand the impact. Either because of age or the type of wood or who knows what.

Although interestingly the original news story describes it as a steel piling, so I'm not sure why MB focused so much on a wooden one. And from the comments it appears this is a pretty common occurrence.
http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2007/04/e..._truck_bi.html
Old August 13 2013, 06:26 PM   #90
davejames
Vice Admiral

So anybody else check out the Breaking Bad special? After all the hype, I found it a bit disappointing to be honest, especially as they only focused on two myths from the first season.

Although I guess it was kinda interesting to learn more about the real mercury fulminate. And while I figured the show took some liberties with how fast the acid worked, I was surprised to see that it didn't eat through the tub or floor at all.

The discussion on the show about how the acid worked (and about the necessity of using a plastic container that the acid wouldn't eat through) was so specific I just assumed it was based in truth.