Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 20 2013, 08:33 AM   #556
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Zoey Deschanel should have played Lois Lane in Superman Returns. Since they were going for a channeling of Christopher Reeves with Brandon Routh, I think Zoey Deschanel would have channeled Margot Kidder decently (before Zoey became this hipster chick icon that she is now)

As for the new movie, I just came back from seeing it. I was going to write up a huge review, but instead I'll do a quick outline.

I gave it a C. The movie felt wayyyyyyyyy too alien. From all the Krypton scenes (which were far longer than was necessary) to all the time spent aboard the alien ships, it just took away from the movie being a "Superman" movie, and turned it into "Independence Day" with Supes a minor character.

My other gripe is that the trailers promised us a more grounded Superman, one that we would get to see a solid origin story. The actual movie touched on this, but only lightly skimmed thru it all. There needed to be more time spent in Smallville, fleshing out all of Clark's problems, as well as his human parents helping him overcome them. And there needed to be more fleshing out of Clark living as a nomad, unsure how to use his powers to help. Again, the movie only skimmed lightly thru these topics.

I would have been perfectly fine if the first hour of the film focused on the humanization of Clark thru his earth parents, and his first few years of adult life. The movie was so desperate to get to the action, that it only skimmed these points, and in erratic flashbacks.

And as for the action, wayyyyy too many special fx! Most of the movie was spent with Superman and Zod's baddies throwing each other around with no real damage to either one. Most of the fights happened in alien environments, like the Kryptonian ships. The fx themselves seemed reminiscent of Transformers. I kept waiting for Optimus Prime to show up and fight along Superman.

There are other things that I didn't like, like the total absence of other human characters that weren't just cameos (Perry White could have been anybody, since he had like 3 scenes in the whole movie. Jenna Olsen's entire reason for existence was to get trapped under some rebar?)

I liked Lois Lane's portrayal (except for the "are we measuring our dicks?" line. It totally went against character). I would have preferred to have her actually figure out about Clark without meeting him first.

I liked Faora. I thought I was going to hate her character, but I loved how the actress portrayed it. I think she was better than Zod. Zod just came across as an automaton, bent on rebuilding Krypton like a programmed machine. Faora actually came across as feeling superior to humans, which Zod didn't really portray.

I would have liked the military to fully distrust Superman at first, but realizing he's a friend, throw the full weight of military forces to aid Superman defeat Zod. What the movie portrays is a half assed attempt at showing distrust, then a half assed attempt at helping Supes.

The music was completely uninspiring as well. There was no motif. No hook. It was background wallpaper, like practically all Star Trek after TNG S3.

I was underwhelmed. I thought it was going to be a movie I'd be dying to own on Blu-Ray. As it stands it felt like watching an underdeveloped video game, and it saddens me. I agree with the Rotten Tomatoes score.
Old June 20 2013, 09:09 AM   #557
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
Captrek wrote: View Post
I had heard of the show but never seen it and don't know much about it.

So the idea isn't unprecedented. The question stands: would such a film have been a good vehicle for the reboot?
It's hard to sell any superhero movie/ comic/ story where the superhero isn't the main character. Such things are mostly deep riffs on established franchises and only work in the original format - i.e. the Astro City and Gotham Central comics.
Also The Green Hornet, where the title character is the protagonist but Kato is the real superhero.

They have a niche appeal so I'm not sure it'd work for a summer blockbuster tentpole reboot of a character like Superman.
Has anyone ever really tried stepping out of this box? It's tough to say it never works if it's never been tried.

ETA: It just occurred to me that it's kind of like E.T. with grownups. Elliott is now an adult woman and E.T. spends his time working and performing superheroics instead of scarfing Reese's Pieces and watching brain rot on TV.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I suppose the freshly dead do smell quite a lot if all their bowels opened and released upon death.

I mean if you kill a hundred 50 thousand people at once in such a small area, that's going to be a hundred and 50 thousand people farting all at the time.

Think how loud the compounded noise would be.
I saw the movie on Sunday and my ears are still ringing.

DWF wrote: View Post
Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Speaking of Amy Adams. Can anyone name the 3 other actors who previously had roles on "Smallville"?
Mike Dopud, Alessandro Juliani and Tahmoh Penikett
Ian Tracey was also on Smallville.
A complete list of overlaps, courtesy of IMDB:

1. Amy Adams
Actress, Enchanted
2. Tahmoh Penikett
Actor, Trick 'r Treat
3. Mike Dopud
Actor, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
4. Mackenzie Gray
Actor, Man of Steel
5. David Paetkau
Actor, Final Destination 2
6. Alessandro Juliani
Actor, Man of Steel
7. Carmen Lavigne
Actress, Watchmen
8. Ian Tracey
Actor, Insomnia
9. Brad Kelly
Actor, X-Men: The Last Stand
10. Elizabeth Thai
Actress, Man of Steel
11. David Lewis
Actor, Man of Steel
12. Aaron Pearl
Actor, X2
13. Jerry Siegel
Writer, Superman Returns
14. Revard Dufresne
Actor, Sucker Punch
15. Chad Krowchuk
Actor, Man of Steel
16. Mark Gibbon
Actor, The Chronicles of Riddick
17. Joe Shuster
Writer, Superman Returns
18. Kwesi Ameyaw
Actor, Capote
19. Hugo Steele
Stunts, Watchmen
20. Wayne Dalglish
Stunts, Alice in Wonderland
21. Clint Carleton
Stunts, 300
22. Fraser Aitcheson
Stunts, Watchmen
23. Robert Moloney
Actor, Man of Steel
24. Raj Lal
Actor, 2012
25. Jackson Berlin
Actor, Man of Steel
26. Michele Cummins
Actress, Grave Encounters
27. Darryl Scheelar
Stunts, Rise of the Planet of the Apes
28. John MacDonald
Stunts, The Incredible Hulk
29. Rob Hayter
Stunts, Watchmen
30. Malcolm Scott
Actor, Watchmen
31. Howard Siegel
Actor, Man of Steel
32. Sabine Varnes
Stunts, Live Free or Die Hard
33. Brian Ho
Stunts, X-Men: The Last Stand
34. Adrian Hein
Stunts, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1
35. Dan Rizzuto
Stunts, Stargate SG-1
36. Krista Bell
Stunts, X-Men: The Last Stand
37. Jason Bell
Stunts, Man of Steel
38. Matt Granger
Miscellaneous Crew, X2
39. David Goyer
Camera and Electrical Department, X2
40. Jim Rowe
Production Manager, Watchmen
41. Alexander Mandra
Stunts, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
42. Anji Bemben
Make-Up Department, Watchmen
43. CÚline Godeau
Make-Up Department, Man of Steel
44. John Dale
Art Department, Watchmen
45. Monte Thompson
Stunts, I, Robot
46. Kim Howey
Stunts, Watchmen
47. Joel Whist
Special Effects, Watchmen
48. Steve Au
Visual Effects, Life of Pi
49. David Rose
Visual Effects, X-Men Origins: Wolverine
50. Keith Woods
Camera and Electrical Department, TRON: Legacy
51. Dan Cervin
Special Effects, Life of Pi
52. Milena Zdravkovic
Art Department, X2
53. Ryan Cronin
Visual Effects, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
54. Kelvin Yee
Visual Effects, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
55. Scott Wallace
Camera and Electrical Department, Watchmen
56. Michael Aaron Keith
Miscellaneous Crew, Man of Steel
57. Scott Andrew Armstrong
Camera and Electrical Department, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
58. Gary Young
Visual Effects, Titanic
59. Ana Oparnica
Miscellaneous Crew, Sucker Punch

Last edited by Captrek; June 20 2013 at 11:04 AM.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 11:54 AM   #558
cultcross
Say my name...

I knew I recognised the Miscellaneous Crew!
Old June 20 2013, 01:20 PM   #559
Dream
Admiral

Something that has been bothering me.

Kyptonians in MOS are bred for specific roles.
Scientists will be the best scientists possible.
Soldiers will be the best soldiers possible.

What the hell is Jor-El bred for exactly? Being a superhero?

How was scientist Jor-El kicking so much ass and killing the legions of bad guys? He even managed to fight off Zod, who should realistically be the deadliest man on the planet if he was bred for war and to be a General and the Defender of Krypton. It was poor/lazy writing to me.
Old June 20 2013, 02:30 PM   #560
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Jor-El was the First Kryptonian in a hundred years to put his penis inside a real woman.

He had broken his programming.

There has to be more footage about the friendship between Jor-El and Zod.

Talking Politics and sparring.

Late at night, candle light.

Maybe even making out a little?

Can you imagine the homophobes?

"LOOK! LOOK! Two men kissed and the planet blew up! God did that! God did That! God doesn't just hate Human fags! He hates Alien Fags too! You show'em God!"

18 thousand years.

Um?

Did the kryptonians modify monkeys? Modify primates? Give culture to early man? Interbreed with early man or just outright replace the human population? Is man what happens to a Kryptonian Colony after 18 thousand years?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 02:36 PM   #561
Dr.H
Lieutenant

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
It made perfect sense to me. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it "poor screenwriting."
I think it is poor screenwriting(at least to me). It isn't just because I don't like what they've done. An example of screenwriting that I don't like is Zod killing Jor El or Jonathan Kent's scene about letting those people die to keep things a secret--I didn't like those scenes or those changes but I still wouldn't say they weren't poor screenwriting at all and even acknowledge them as effective. However this is a different animal all together.
With all that disaster and destruction going(which admit it was there just to make things look cooler) I never really rooted for Supes like I should have, at the end they're is no resonating acknowledgement of any damage and the tone of the film unwarrantably shifts lighthearted for the ending to avoid a somber finale to the film. SHOW ME some instance of Superman taking strides to protect someone and not him just brashly launching at Zod and cruising through buildings like they are just play sets or something. It wasn't just poor screenwriting, it was lazy screenwriting. If your counterargument is that 'Well dumbass he couldn't he was in a life and death battle he has enough trouble holding his own against Zod as it is.'' Then I would just say at least showcase that Superman has an ounce of worry about the damage and even give him throwaway line to Zod about taking this fight somewhere else then Zod simply rejects the offer-- keeping to his word about killing every human. You could easily have conveyed the gravity of the situation and how it weighed on Supes just through those lines alone. It's not scriptwriting rocket science.

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
With this, I hope Goyer writes every fucking DC Comics movie from here on out.
Well be my guess. However I do think we would be working Goyer to death writing everything wouldn't we? Well, in that case I might be a tad bit cautious seeing every DC film(unless hey have a talented writer-director). I got nothing against Goyer as a screenwriter I just think he works best with another writer or assisting with scripts rather then working on a script singularly.

Last edited by Dr.H; June 20 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Dr.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 02:38 PM   #562
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

judgeroy wrote: View Post
Nerys, over used is a better term, particularly as they have played him as a dime store novel evil genius every time. IMO, your use may vary. Look, I cringed when they said Zod was going to be the villain in this one, due to Superman II, but, they did him right. If Lex is done, I just ask to make him more "real" like the other characters.
Mostly I was using a Hackman Luthor quote for hopefully comic effect.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 03:05 PM   #563
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Which sort of begs the question.... If Kryptonians had been breed to be birthed by the robots from The Matrix why were they given the ability to breed in the first place? What does Jor-El need a penis for and what does Lara need a vagina for? Hell, what are men and women needed for at that point? If you can just make whatever/whomever you want and don't need people to actually get-down to make people; gender and biological procreation is useless.
Old June 20 2013, 03:17 PM   #564
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

cultcross wrote: View Post
I knew I recognised the Miscellaneous Crew!
And the craft services team!

Lol
Old June 20 2013, 03:21 PM   #565
flavaflav
Commander

Something I forgot to mention in my review... the use of the song "Seasons" by Chris Cornell! I haven't listened to that song in a couple years and forgot how awesome it is lyrically and musically.... and when used it fit perfectly with the scene. I was totally jamming out at that part. Carry on...
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 03:27 PM   #566
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I hated that bit. Really took me out of the movie. I thought I was watching Singles or something.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 04:27 PM   #567
davejames
Vice Admiral

As far as the destruction goes, I wonder if it's another situation like in ROTJ, where the script only called for blowing up the shield generator, but the FX guys went completely overboard and blew up the entire freakin forest. Lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 04:37 PM   #568
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Which sort of begs the question.... If Kryptonians had been breed to be birthed by the robots from The Matrix why were they given the ability to breed in the first place?
I think this is a good question.

What does Jor-El need a penis for and what does Lara need a vagina for? Hell, what are men and women needed for at that point?
We know so little, but from the dynamic comic sculpture history lesson that Jor-El showed us, I got a suggestion that there are still families, but that the Krypto-stork brings the babies. Could sex be practiced, but just not for procreation?
Old June 20 2013, 04:38 PM   #569
davejames
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
How was scientist Jor-El kicking so much ass and killing the legions of bad guys? He even managed to fight off Zod, who should realistically be the deadliest man on the planet if he was bred for war and to be a General and the Defender of Krypton. It was poor/lazy writing to me.
Well even without being bred for it, it's possible all Kryptonians are just naturally very strong and good at fighting.

Or maybe, given the fact he already decided to break taboo and have a natural child, Jor-El's "programming" was a bit off and different from the others.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Which sort of begs the question.... If Kryptonians had been breed to be birthed by the robots from The Matrix why were they given the ability to breed in the first place? What does Jor-El need a penis for and what does Lara need a vagina for? Hell, what are men and women needed for at that point? If you can just make whatever/whomever you want and don't need people to actually get-down to make people; gender and biological procreation is useless.
They may not need any sexual organs, but I imagine when they came up with this technology, that was something they decided they still VERY much wanted to keep.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 04:45 PM   #570
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well, deciding to keep fucking would clearly be a major dilemma for the Kryptonians, since like human beings they only have sex for purposes of procreation.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote