Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 20 2013, 04:03 AM   #16
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: The Official Speculation Thread about John Hurt's "Secret" Doctor.

8th doctor regenerates into Hurt.

Hurt is the most unstable doctor yet. He leads the timelords into battle. He wrecklessly uses "The moment" and ends the time war killing trillions.

The moment has also brought back the 8th doctor. He clearly remembers time as the Hurt doctor but at the same time the hurt doctor has been erased.

One of Moffat's story trick of "It happened and didn't happen at the same time"

8th somehow regenerates again and we get Eccelston.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 04:53 AM   #17
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

Hurt is the most unstable doctor yet. He leads the timelords into battle. He wrecklessly uses "The moment" and ends the time war killing trillions.

The moment has also brought back the 8th doctor. He clearly remembers time as the Hurt doctor but at the same time the hurt doctor has been erased.

this seems to be the most likely theory. and the best one i've heard.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 05:59 AM   #18
Candlelight
Admiral

That's silly - Eccleston said quite clearly in Dalek that "I MADE IT HAPPEN!" so they can't go around saying 'Hurtnell' isn't a true Doctor because what he did in the Time War because Eccleston was happy to admit what he did.
Old June 20 2013, 07:39 AM   #19
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Candlelight wrote: View Post

That's silly - Eccleston said quite clearly in Dalek that "I MADE IT HAPPEN!" so they can't go around saying 'Hurtnell' isn't a true Doctor because what he did in the Time War because Eccleston was happy to admit what he did.
well, there are two ways to interpret that line. I, referring to the 9th Doctor specifically...or I, referring to the Doctor in general.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 08:12 AM   #20
Candlelight
Admiral

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post

well, there are two ways to interpret that line. I, referring to the 9th Doctor specifically...or I, referring to the Doctor in general.
Either way the Doctor accepts he did that. In the name of the Doctor.

What Hurtnell did must've been far worse.

Somehow.
Old June 20 2013, 12:43 PM   #21
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Somehow.
Lance Parkin has a fascinating... well, I'm not going to call it a theory because it was a throwaway line on Gallifrey Base.

The Hurt Doctor fought the Time War on the side of the Daleks.

This makes a lot of sense, given what little we know of the Time War and it fits well with what we see in "The End of Time" where the Rassilon's inner circle is terrified that the Doctor has "The Moment" (why would that terrify them if the Doctor were on their side?) and the Doctor is terrified that the Gallifrey has come back. This would explain why the Time Lords resurrected the Master -- they needed a rogue element to counter the Doctor. And this would explain why the Doctor saved Davros.

If true, it may have been an alliance of convenience for the Doctor. He saw his own people go power mad (shades of the warning he offers in "Trial of a Time Lord" 13), and he made the judgment that the Daleks were the only force in the universe that could counter a militaristic Time Lord society.

And then, of course, the Doctor betrays the Daleks, using them to get him in a position where he can use The Moment and eliminate both sides.

The Doctor can still be proud of what he did to the Daleks, the Daleks can still fear and hate the Doctor.

It's a workable idea.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 12:46 PM   #22
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

"I made it happen" doesn't necessrily mean "I did it."
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 01:05 PM   #23
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

Somehow.
Lance Parkin has a fascinating... well, I'm not going to call it a theory because it was a throwaway line on Gallifrey Base.

The Hurt Doctor fought the Time War on the side of the Daleks.

This makes a lot of sense, given what little we know of the Time War and it fits well with what we see in "The End of Time" where the Rassilon's inner circle is terrified that the Doctor has "The Moment" (why would that terrify them if the Doctor were on their side?) and the Doctor is terrified that the Gallifrey has come back. This would explain why the Time Lords resurrected the Master -- they needed a rogue element to counter the Doctor. And this would explain why the Doctor saved Davros.

If true, it may have been an alliance of convenience for the Doctor. He saw his own people go power mad (shades of the warning he offers in "Trial of a Time Lord" 13), and he made the judgment that the Daleks were the only force in the universe that could counter a militaristic Time Lord society.

And then, of course, the Doctor betrays the Daleks, using them to get him in a position where he can use The Moment and eliminate both sides.

The Doctor can still be proud of what he did to the Daleks, the Daleks can still fear and hate the Doctor.

It's a workable idea.
That is a very interesting idea and would certainly show a whole another angle at his grief for killing his own people and his anger at the Daleks and their inability to stay dead.

I doubt this is the actual explanation because it seems far too gutsy for the show and it would risk alienating the fanbase, both new and old.

Which raises another point. The Eleventh Doctor is horrified by The John Hurt Doctor, but can Moffat actually provide an answer that's both satisfying and doesn't manage to alienate a large portion of the fanbase?

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 02:47 PM   #24
chelly
Commander

He could use a memory wipe excuse though I can see tempers exploding if they used that one. That and you can say being put in his timeline made him remember.
chelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 10:13 PM   #25
Candlelight
Admiral

John Hurt erased the Hartnell and Troughton era master tapes.
Old June 20 2013, 10:27 PM   #26
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
I doubt this is the actual explanation because it seems far too gutsy for the show and it would risk alienating the fanbase, both new and old.
Ahem "Invasion of Time"

Which raises another point. The Eleventh Doctor is horrified by The John Hurt Doctor, but can Moffat actually provide an answer that's both satisfying and doesn't manage to alienate a large portion of the fanbase?
Judging by past history, NO!
Old June 20 2013, 10:30 PM   #27
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

John Hurt erased the Hartnell and Troughton era master tapes.
The Bastard!!!! No wonder 11 is so ashamed of him.

So, does this mean The Doctor's real name is BBC, since some of us assume the name HurtDoctor did his shameful deeds under was his real name? Or was that also just a title he took for himself?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 10:39 PM   #28
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

^^in that line of reasoning, perhaps HurtDoctor was heroically stopped before he could wipe Monty Python as well, when Clara made a phone call to Terry Jones asking if he'd like to buy them instead???
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 10:40 PM   #29
Yminale
Rear Admiral

chelly wrote: View Post
He could use a memory wipe excuse though I can see tempers exploding if they used that one. That and you can say being put in his timeline made him remember.
I have a crazier idea. nuDoctor and classicDoctor are two different Time Lords. Maybe classicDoctor died in the Time War and the Time Lords used the Matrix to implant his memories into nuDoctor. That's why 11th is so angry and said "not in the name of the Doctor"
Old June 20 2013, 10:44 PM   #30
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
^^in that line of reasoning, perhaps HurtDoctor was heroically stopped before he could wipe Monty Python as well, when Clara made a phone call to Terry Jones asking if he'd like to buy them instead???
So does that make Ian Levine the MASTER *head explodes*