USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old June 20 2013, 01:37 AM   #226
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Stargate SG-1 - First time viewing of whole series

Yeah, it seems SG-1 mucking around with the timeline has changed O'Neill's pond from lacking fish to now having fish. This was intended to be a reference to the Simpsons Halloween episode where Homer is constantly changing the timeline with a time-travelling toaster and in the end settles for a timeline close to the original (or "Prime" to use Star Trek terminology) except everyone has snake tongues, which Homer just shrugs off as "close enough."
Old June 20 2013, 02:32 PM   #227
MacLeod
Admiral

Or they might always have been fish in Jack's pond just he hadn't managed to see any before.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old June 20 2013, 04:41 PM   #228
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Or they might always have been fish in Jack's pond just he hadn't managed to see any before.
Jack stocked the pond for the lulz
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Old June 21 2013, 02:12 AM   #229
The Wormhole
Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I'm just repeating what they said on the audio commentary on the DVD.
Old June 24 2013, 10:05 PM   #230
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Yeah, it seems SG-1 mucking around with the timeline has changed O'Neill's pond from lacking fish to now having fish. This was intended to be a reference to the Simpsons Halloween episode where Homer is constantly changing the timeline with a time-travelling toaster and in the end settles for a timeline close to the original (or "Prime" to use Star Trek terminology) except everyone has snake tongues, which Homer just shrugs off as "close enough."
There was a Wolverine comic from the early '90s which featured Logan and Lady Deathstrike dueling through different time periods, while Donald Pierce monitored the present to make sure they didn't mess up the timestream too badly. (Why he was immune to the changes wasn't explained.) At the end, Pierce assesses the damage to the timestream and says, "Aw, they won't miss that fifth Ninja Turtle anyway."
Old July 1 2013, 08:40 PM   #231
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
Funny enough that FIFTH Ninja Turtle materialized in the early '00 live action TMNT show that only went like 13-15 episodes, Venus DeMilo I think was the female 5th turtle. Not to be seen again though for the last decade at least. So that Wolverine comic is more humorous now than what it was intended to be.

Started SEASON 9 last night.

9x1-Avalon pt.1: Ben Browder and Claudia Black both guest starring to start S9!! The only thing to make this better would've been Tricia Helfer as an Ori and Michael Dorn as the Jaffa ambassador played by Louis Gosset Jr., that would've been a sci-fi win/win fanfic playing out right there!!
The episode introduces Browder who has been an up and coming pilot and inter splices it with his role in the Anubis attack on Antarctica. Browder is Lt.Col.Mitchell and he's been selected to lead SG-1, we find our team has been split up. We then discover that Jack has also stepped down and we have our 3rd new leader of SGC in 2yrs with Hank Landry(Beau Bridges). Mitchell sets out to re-recruit Jackson, Carter & Teal'C cause when he put in for transfer it was specifically to work WITH the existing team. Leading a team without them not his plan.
SG-12 is on a mission and they return with Claudia Blacks Vala who once took over Prometheus and is a rather unscrupulous individual seeking a treasure of the Ancients. She also says she's pregnant and Daniel maybe the father...although I think both statements were for shock value. The Ancient tablet hints that Merlin, of Arthur's Round Table, was likely an advanced human but not yet fully Ascended. I'm no expert on British landmarks but the Glastonbury tomb site is where the tablet points. Sure enough mega encrypted Ancient tech has been giving back false readings at the site and indeed something is inside the mound. We then have a pseudo-Indiana Jones moment in two chambers where the ceiling is caving in on SG-1. Not technically, cause Mitchell hasn't officially named his team. Jackson and Teal'C are just along to do a one off assist in this moment. Cue the "....continued" tag as the ceiling lowers down.

9x2-Avalon pt.2: The two person teams solve their riddle, stop the ceiling and go back to the main room to see if they can now pull the sword out of the stone(didn't mention that last time, oops). Mitchell pulls the sword and a holo-knight appears to do battle with him. Mitchell is the only one who can hold the sword, it's keyed to him. He must beat the knight to earn the "treasure of Avalon". He beats the knight, no treasure. Daniel surmises the presence of others, meaning them, might be the problem so He, Teal'C and Vala ring back up to Prometheus. At which point the place begins to cave in. Daniel gets Vala to admit she took a coin, Pure of Heart she is not. Mitchell rings down with it, places it back in the pot, presto treasure appears. Within the treasure is a device and two stones. Daniel and Vala each take one and it links them across galaxies to inhabit two other humanoid beings. The humans here are living much like 14th/15th century Europeans and worshiping a race known as the ORI. Whose favorite phrase is "Hallowed by the ORI". They are, as we find out, offshoots of The Ancients. Kinda like cousins with different philosophies about their ascended/enlightened status. The Ancients, who it seems were once known as Arkons(sp), have a handsoff approach. The ORI are a bit Gou'ald in they demand to be worshipped. And will use their power to harm you for being evil if you don't. Vala even gets burned as a heretic but an ORI avatar/ambasador appears, heals her/restores her to life and then Daniel and Vala disappear with him.

9x3-Origin: or Avalon pt.3 as I thought of it, it really flows right out of the two parter. So this Avatar is called a Prior and takes Daniel and Vala to see an ORI. These ORI are real found of fire. Daniel makes the ironic parallel that on Earth, religion cultures associated fire with hell. Here it's associated with righteousness. The ORI apparently were unaware that the Milky Way was there for conversion. Now thanks to the body swap they inform Daniel they will begin sending Priors there for conversion. One has already gone. Daniel and Vala are returned to the village where an ally takes them to an artifact that might help. It's a sister communication device. The local priest finds them and this time Daniel and Vala are tied back up to be burned in the great circle. The body swap happens and Daniel and Vala are back in their bodies. O'Neill pops in at the end to speak with Daniel but we don't really find out what he's up to. Carter is the only one out of these three episodes to not physically appear. She was just on a Skype-type call with Mitchell in Avalon pt.1
Also, at episodes end Mitchell still doesn't have his team in place for a new SG-1.

So while I don't think we've seen the last of Annubis, Gou'ald, Replicators etc it seems for the next two seasons the ORI are going to be the big Heavies and force the hand of the Ancients perhaps? The opening intro has been totally reworked as you'd expect. I notice it still has Amanda Tapping in the credits AND that the Teal'C, Carter,Jackson,Mitchell shots of them going through the Gate are in the credits. So when he tells Walter it doesn't look like he's getting the band back together I guess he was premature. I had thought Vala was a regular, next season then or she just pops up as a semi-regular? Guess I'll find out soon enough.
Old July 1 2013, 10:54 PM   #232
MacLeod
Admiral

^Remember that orginaly in the US the first ten episodes had the short 10 second opening credits rather than the usual 60 second opening credits. This was reversed in the US due to fan reaction, though the longer opening sequence actually aired first in the UK.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old July 2 2013, 01:24 AM   #233
The Wormhole
Admiral

Carter will return. Amanda Tapping needed some time off at the beginning of the season since she had just had a baby, and so since the whole SG-1 couldn't be on hand, they decided to feature everyone having moved on in life but being pulled back in by events.
Old July 3 2013, 06:49 PM   #234
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

9x4-The Ties That Bind: "Get my necklace back and I'll show you how to break the bond".....I do not think that phrase means what you think it means. Cause once Mitchell, Valla and the de-facto SG-1 team of Teal'C and Daniel track down a host of items that Valla had traded and flipped, he tells them he doesn't know how. So I jumped right in, this episode deals with the fallout of the bracelets that bonded Daniel & Valla together while they were magically transplanted to another Galaxy where the Ori are. A fun episode that, at it's core, is really giving us more character insight into Valla(whose still just a guest star 4-episodes into the seasons). But don't worry, I'm sure the effect of the psyiologcial connection from the bands will wear off in time. By that point Valla will be....reformed?

9x5-The Powers That Be: So a world that trusts Valla is on the lists of planets to visit. Valla insists she goes to help smooth things over cause she is on good terms with them. Mitchell sees this as a red flag, anyone who trusts her does so at their peril. Come to find out, Valla who once was infected with a Gou'ald named Ketesh, ruled these people as a god. After the Tok'ra removed Ketesh, Valla still kept up the charade. She's been gone a long while and a Prior of the Ori has shown up to demand their worship. Valla is exposed as a fake and sentenced to death, then life in prison. The Prior infects the whole immediate population with a fatal disease then leaves. SG-1, with Valla's help using the Gou'ald healing device tries to tend to the villagers. The Prior returns, heals everyone, even resurrects those who died. The Prior leaves SG-1 unharmed, even after Valla attempts to fill him with lead, and instructs them to spread the word of his deeds and that the Ori are coming.

I liked both of these episodes alot. These Ori are going to be some nasty sonsa...., wondering what weak spots we'll expose to defeat them. Daniel did give a big speech about science, technology and knowledge. I'm guessing some Ancient device will come into play? The Ancients themselves? Might they after the events with Daniel and Oma cause them to reevaluate their non-interference directive and get involved somehow?
Old July 3 2013, 08:10 PM   #235
The Wormhole
Admiral

The Ties that bind also introduces the Lucian Alliance, who go on to become important players in the Stargate franchise.
Old July 5 2013, 09:24 PM   #236
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
So we will see more of the Lucian Alliance, kinda thought so. They did make a rather big deal about explaining them.

9x6-Beachhead: Those Ori aren't messing around. They are going to implode a planet in order to create a singularity so large it can open a portal to their galaxy and stay open indefinitely. Crafting a planet sized Stargate around the aperture. Crazy stuff!! This also is the episode that bring Dr.Carter back into the fold!! Mitchell is also happy to make it official by slapping the SG-1 patch to everyones arm. The Ori are defeated, despite an interfering Gou'ald who aided the Ori into tricking SGC/-1 into helping them in their process. Valla is the hero of the day. After trying to help and being ignored she takes action and flies a scout ship, shields up, into the forming planetary Stargate, causing an overload so that when the planet goes the energy isn't properly contained and channeled. Valla is seemingly dead but it's theorized that in the instant the singularity was attempting to form, it did open ever so briefly and Valla may have been pulled into the ORI galaxy. Assuming she survived.

9x7-Ex Deus Machina: Ba'al, you crafty bastard. I mean I knew you were still out there but the hand your playing now...kinda a stroke of genius really. You've supplanted yourself on Earth, managed to take over a company, create clones of yourself and make yourself a public person. The lacing a building with naquadah was ingenious. I like him as a bad guy much better than Anubis or Apophis. So then our newly formed Jaffa nation finds out, wants to extradite him and when we don't comply take matters into their own hands. Forcing Ba'al to make good on his threat to detonate his naquadah bomb...which, oh by the way...in an entire skyscraper!!! I got to say I like how the showrunners addressed this with just a 20-30 second snippet talking about the "gas explosion" but no one heard anything and that the rubble pile is inconsistent with a building going down(which post 9/11 we all kinda now know).

9x8-Babylon: A discovery that could be crucial to the new Jaffa nation is made. It seems likely that a race of Jaffa who've managed to not be enslaved by the Gou'ald have been found, the Sodan. They are legendary among Jaffa, told like folk tales, even though no one has seen them in centuries. It also just so happens that the ORI have found them and are trying to convert them. Nice casting for the Prior this episode, it's William B. Davis aka The Cig Smoking Man from X-Files!! So SG-1 heads to the planet to make contact and of course things go south. Mitchell ends up killing one, seemingly, and is fatally wounded himself but taken back to the Sodan encampment. The leader of these Sodan is Tony Todd(hasn't he guested before as a Gou'ald or am I imagining that?). A rite of vengeance is to be had for the nearest kin so Mitchell is nursed back to health. This whole sequence is a bit predictable in that his nurse/trainer for the ritual is also the blood kin of the one "slain". Also, that he would take heed to Mitchell's warning about the Prior/ORI. Mitchell is returned to SGC and once there finds out the "slain" Sodan is also alive. He returns as well(although we see no fallout upon his return) and promises Mitchell they will meet again.

I finished disc 2 and 8 episodes in I must say S9 has hit the ground running! I just know a cheap clip show is coming or something to pull back on the reins.

The sci-fan in me only need a nuBSG actor represented to make Babylon perfect, right? Stargate, Farscape, X-Files, Star Trek and Andromeda were all represented in this episode!!
Old July 5 2013, 09:40 PM   #237
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I don't recall any B5 regulars ever guesting on SG1, but, a Lucian Alliance guy that appears in Episode 16 of Season 9 (And for 4 more episodes) is played by Eric Steinberg, who was in B5 S3 episode Exogenesis

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old July 6 2013, 03:18 AM   #238
The Wormhole
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
The leader of these Sodan is Tony Todd(hasn't he guested before as a Gou'ald or am I imagining that?).
This is Tony Todd's first time on Stargate.

The sci-fan in me only need a nuBSG actor represented to make Babylon perfect, right? Stargate, Farscape, X-Files, Star Trek and Andromeda were all represented in this episode!!
There kind of is. Darcy Laurie, who plays this guy in Babylon played Dealino in a few episodes towards the end of BSG.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I don't recall any B5 regulars ever guesting on SG1, but, a Lucian Alliance guy that appears in Episode 16 of Season 9 (And for 4 more episodes) is played by Eric Steinberg, who was in B5 S3 episode Exogenesis
Eric Steinberg also has a couple of Star Trek roles and a Torchwood one.
Old July 9 2013, 03:38 PM   #239
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Jacob Carter showed up as a Centauri once.
Old July 9 2013, 03:47 PM   #240
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
Jacob Carter showed up as a Centauri once.
That's right he played Urza in Knives, I noticed that last time I watched through B5, and then forgot all about it

<Bad Owl >

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?