Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 20 2013, 12:13 AM   #211
Candlefright
Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

diankra wrote: View Post
Yep, think you're right Candelight. Back when this all started, I'd assumed that the Sierra Leone near miss had led to a similar lead and we might get season three back. If TIE comes into it, then it could be more.
But... if you're putting 2 and 2 together to get 5, then TIE is one of the 2s you'd put in. It's one of the best avenues to explore in the hope of a big find, but that makes it the sort of detail to add in to make sense of a rumour...
I've no idea where Sierra Leone or TIE suddenly came from with that Radio Times article. It makes the most sense having someone found a TIE archive (which amazingly survived a couple of decades longer than it's parent company).

On the fence still. And I don't think we're gonna get any kind of announcement confirming it for a long time, especially if the BFI played a big role in their return. If they have said they want to surprise everyone like they did two years ago (which was big for them from what I hear) then it could be months before we get someone saying "right, you know that rumour that went batshit crazy back in June..."
Old June 20 2013, 12:19 AM   #212
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

What's TIE stand for?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 12:22 AM   #213
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I wonder what the release schedule would be like should there really be a large number of shows. Are the restoration team even capable of tackling that much work in a reasonable time ?
I imagine we'd just continue to see stories trickle out at a rate of a few per year, just as they've been doing to varying degrees since they started the DVD releases in 2001.

Emh wrote: View Post
Candlelight wrote: View Post
So now we're shifting from Zambia to Sierra Leone, which we all know lost it's archive in 2001 during the civil war.

And it's a TIE archive? That would make the most sense as it would be likely to have MOST of the serials ever sold around the world.

The rumour keeps shifting too much for my liking...
Or more likely Radio Times got their facts mixed up in regards to Sierra Leone.
We know the archive in Sierra Leone was lost but do we know that the Doctor Who episodes in question were there at the time? Lots of weird stuff has happened in the long saga of missing episodes. The reason why we have most of the episodes that we still have is because people were too negligent to return the prints to the BBC where they could be disposed of in an orderly fashion. Didn't Hong Kong swear up & down back in the '80s that they didn't have any missing Doctor Who, only to suddenly come up with all 4 parts of "The Tomb of the Cybermen" in 1992?

I'm always dubious about rumors of recovered episodes.
But considering how evasive some of the involved parties have been and how the rumor just won't go away, I'm starting to think that they've found SOMETHING. Now, maybe it's not 90 episodes like some of the rumors are suggesting. But ever since we learned about Sierra Leone, the notion of a large number of episodes being recovered in Africa has at least had the ring of plausibility to it. Even if they've only found 1 missing episode, that would be a miracle and well worth celebrating.

I just think it's funny that, at one point, Ian Levine was saying that there will always be 106 missing episodes. Didn't he say the exact same thing about 108 episodes a few years ago before the 2011 rediscoveries of "Air Lock" & "The Underwater Menace, Part 2"?

StCoop wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Didn't know he was so loaded. But, if he's so rich, why does he need free video tapes?!
These were tapes of unedited Studio Sessions and the like.

He also appointed himself "Official Continuity Advisor" to the series back in the 1980's (and still managed not to point out to anyone what the Silurian's third eye was used for.)

His actual job is a Music Producer and that's where he made all his money.
Doctor Who in the '80s seemed to attract eccentric rich folk. From what I've heard, Anthony Ainley was independently wealthy, didn't need to work, and the only time he ever did work was when he played the Master.
Old June 20 2013, 12:26 AM   #214
Christopher
Writer

Sindatur wrote: View Post
What's TIE stand for?
Hearing "TIE archive," I have this mental image of a library with hexagonal solar panels on the sides strafing the Millennium Falcon....

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 12:43 AM   #215
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
What's TIE stand for?
Hearing "TIE archive," I have this mental image of a library with hexagonal solar panels on the sides strafing the Millennium Falcon....
LOL, yea, me too, that's why I wanna know what it actually stands for, so, I can get the right image in my mind.

Old June 20 2013, 12:48 AM   #216
Candlefright
Admiral

http://gallifreybase.com/w/index.php/TIE_Ltd

London-based Television International Enterprises Limited (T.I.E. Ltd) (established in 1961), its sales subsidiary, T.I.E. (Programmes) Ltd, and other associated companies, were responsible for marketing Doctor Who on behalf of the BBC and distributing film prints to those countries for which it was an agent.
The company closed down in 1975. It's long been assumed that all film prints held by TIE were returned to BBC London or destroyed.

IF a TIE archive had been found it would theoretically contain thousands of film prints if they ignored the junking order.
Old June 20 2013, 01:26 AM   #217
The Wormhole
Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
They could get an army of people to work on restoring the footage for free if they wanted to, that how desperate some fans are to get these back.
I wonder what the release schedule would be like should there really be a large number of shows. Are the restoration team even capable of tackling that much work in a reasonable time ?
Honestly, even if an official announcement that all (or any) of these 90 episodes were found were made today, the soonest you should expect any potential DVD release would be 2014. In my uninformed opinion, or course.
Old June 20 2013, 01:31 AM   #218
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Tom wrote: View Post
They could get an army of people to work on restoring the footage for free if they wanted to, that how desperate some fans are to get these back.
Honestly, even if an official announcement that all (or any) of these 90 episodes were found were made today, the soonest you should expect any potential DVD release would be 2014. In my uninformed opinion, or course.
They may have been quietly progressing a group of episodes or serials through the "Preparing for Release" process for the last year already

Old June 20 2013, 01:36 AM   #219
diankra
Commodore

Any release before the anniversary would have to be submitted to the BBFC by late September at latest, and once there, the BBFC would put the details on its website.
diankra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 01:36 AM   #220
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

If that many people were involved, I'm sure this would have leaked much sooner.
Old June 20 2013, 01:45 AM   #221
Candlefright
Admiral

They may have been quietly progressing a group of episodes or serials through the "Preparing for Release" process for the last year already
If films are in the possession of the BFI under condition of first screening then the BBC would have to wait...
Old June 20 2013, 01:55 AM   #222
The Wormhole
Admiral

Even if we assume for a moment this is the case and the plan is to release all the completed stories that these 90 episodes now make on DVD in November, that will ultimately prove a bad idea for the BBC. Not everyone has the money to shell out for that many new DVDs at one time. The smartest thing would be to hold off any DVD releases until 2014 anyway, and release one or two of them a month, just like they have been doing with the classic era stories all along. After all, with all the available complete stories nearly entirely released, this will be the perfect way to have the line last longer without resorting to more double-dip special editions.
Old June 20 2013, 01:58 AM   #223
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm actually more excited by the possibility of this recovery than the actual anniversary episode! And, I'm plenty excited about that too!

Re: Wormhole "resorting to double-dip special editions", I'm sure that's something they love to do, not something they avoid. It's extra revenue for them.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 02:05 AM   #224
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

The only reason I can see is there is still an issue with 'negotiations'.

Or someone who didn't realise this would get "out of hand" slapped an embargo on it, and that still stands.
Best I can figure, there may be some legal hold up as to the ownership of the film prints. Just because they arrive in Liverpool in 2011 doesn't mean the BBC has gotten a look at them that early.

Emh wrote: View Post
One thing of note is that people are claiming that Paul Vanezis, a member of the Restoration Team, stated the following in a thread (although I'm not sure in what forum of what board, but I don't think it's at GallifreyBase):

"And let this be the final, sensible remark on the matter. The only way this will be resolved is if the BBC decide to make a statement. They won't be doing that here, so if anyone wants to speculate about this ridiculous situation, you can do it elsewhere."

Naturally, most people at GallifreyBase are taking note that he doesn't outright deny the rumors.
Hard to tell; Paul is the faceman for missing episode finds, he and Steve Roberts are always at the front of the search.

There are two possibilities:

- Paul is sick of this rumour and it's taking its toll; he does always jump on and deny rumours so this time he's decided he won't 'stoop to this level'.

- There is a discovery. The pieces aren't quite in place yet so he can't comment either way.

Look to the BBC. That's all we can do now, and wait.
From Vanezis @ http://missingepisodes.proboards.com/user/15/recent on May 17: "I can't think of anything more reckless than reporting as imminent a rumour of the recovery of lost material which is not yet secure. If the film did by some miracle exist and I was the person hanging onto it, I'd most likely turn my back on the whole thing and just walk away. As has been pointed out by others, this selfishness does harm and no good, and I speak with years of personal experience of dealing with film collectors and archives."
Old June 20 2013, 02:13 AM   #225
The Wormhole
Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I don't know if it's just me, but I'm actually more excited by the possibility of this recovery than the actual anniversary episode! And, I'm plenty excited about that too!

Re: Wormhole "resorting to double-dip special editions", I'm sure that's something they love to do, not something they avoid. It's extra revenue for them.

Mr Awe
My point is, it doesn't take a marketing genius to realize there's more demand for a new DVD release than there is for something already released, especially where you're talking about a release no one in fandom has seen since the 1960s if ever. Therefore, it makes more sense to portion those releases out as long as you can rather than release them all in one month. After all, the line is healthier with more new material over the horizon waiting for a release than it is with just special editions.

I'm not trying to slam the special editions, I've been buying quite a few myself or stories I don't already own and therefore understand their place in the order of things.