Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 19 2013, 06:22 PM   #196
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
If there is no truth to the rumor, they'd better state that ASAP otherwise there will be a lot of bitter fans. If there's no truth, it's in their power to let us know. I will be annoyed if there's nothing to it and they don't tell us straight away.
I don't mean this in a bad way, but fans really don't matter to the BBC. If fans get their hopes dashed over the non-appearance of forty-plus year-old episodes, that's not going to keep them away from the new episodes. For the brand managers of Doctor Who, missing episodes are nothing more than a curiosity that have no bearing on what they're doing with the property. The people at the BBC that would have the most interest in missing episodes would be BBC Worldwide since the episodes would give them more product to sell, but BBC Worldwide doesn't drive the brand.
Maybe not, but the only reason the original show is on DVD is because it sells, and sells in viable numbers. It doesn't sell to kids and fans of the new show, it sells to fans of the old show (who admittedly could be kids !).

They aren't just simple transfers either - a lot of work goes into some of them and the bonus content. Goodwill from enthusiasts only takes you so far - there IS support for old Who within the BBC.
Old June 19 2013, 06:27 PM   #197
Tom
Rear Admiral

They could get an army of people to work on restoring the footage for free if they wanted to, that how desperate some fans are to get these back.
Old June 19 2013, 10:00 PM   #198
Relayer1
Commodore

Tom wrote: View Post
They could get an army of people to work on restoring the footage for free if they wanted to, that how desperate some fans are to get these back.
I wonder what the release schedule would be like should there really be a large number of shows. Are the restoration team even capable of tackling that much work in a reasonable time ?
Old June 19 2013, 10:04 PM   #199
Candlelight
Admiral

Atticus wrote: View Post
My very slight curiosity about the guy has been satisfied so no need for more research! However, I do plan to get that book because I am particularly interested in JNT's time. Davison is "my Doctor" even though I started watching with Tom Baker.

Mr Awe
Cool, it's excellent.... and terrible all at the same time

Meanwhile, the Radio Times is the latest to weigh in...
So now we're shifting from Zambia to Sierra Leone, which we all know lost it's archive in 2001 during the civil war.

And it's a TIE archive? That would make the most sense as it would be likely to have MOST of the serials ever sold around the world.

The rumour keeps shifting too much for my liking...
Old June 19 2013, 10:11 PM   #200
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Candlelight wrote: View Post
My very slight curiosity about the guy has been satisfied so no need for more research! However, I do plan to get that book because I am particularly interested in JNT's time. Davison is "my Doctor" even though I started watching with Tom Baker.

Mr Awe

So now we're shifting from Zambia to Sierra Leone, which we all know lost it's archive in 2001 during the civil war.

And it's a TIE archive? That would make the most sense as it would be likely to have MOST of the serials ever sold around the world.

Or more likely Radio Times got their facts mixed up in regards to Sierra Leone.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 10:12 PM   #201
Candlelight
Admiral

Ian is now going silent:

I have lost some very close friends through discussing all these rumours. I find that unbearable and so, despite my excitement I'm ending it

Ending ALL discussion of it on Twitter.
Sincere to stop 'hurting' more people or coincidence he did it shortly after the BBC announcement...?
Old June 19 2013, 10:15 PM   #202
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Mr Awe

Maybe the Sierra Leone Archive loss in the Civil War was a feint? Maybe the engineer was smuggling the film cans out, and used the Civil War as a cover and he actually blew it up himself when he was done

Or, we're back to Somali Pirates hijacked the Singapore shipment, and the Engineer was a frontman for the Pirates

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 10:16 PM   #203
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Ian is now going silent:

I have lost some very close friends through discussing all these rumours. I find that unbearable and so, despite my excitement I'm ending it

Sincere to stop 'hurting' more people or coincidence he did it shortly after the BBC announcement...?
This isn't the first time he's acted like a prima donna (so I've read). According to the folks over at Gallifrey Base, he did the same thing after he let the cat out of the bag in regards to Matt Smith leaving.

Old June 19 2013, 10:20 PM   #204
Candlelight
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Maybe the Sierra Leone Archive loss in the Civil War was a feint? Maybe the engineer was smuggling the film cans out, and used the Civil War as a cover and he actually blew it up himself when he was done

Or, we're back to Somali Pirates hijacked the Singapore shipment, and the Engineer was a frontman for the Pirates
Sierra Leone's Doctor Who shipment was last known to exist in their archive in 1999, which was destroyed sometime over the following three years. If the films had been moved out prior to the archive's destruction then the documentation discovered in 2010 may not reflect this.

You can only follow the last breadcrumb you find, not the full path.
Old June 19 2013, 10:23 PM   #205
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Sierra Leone's Doctor Who shipment was last known to exist in their archive in 1999, which was destroyed sometime over the following three years. If the films had been moved out prior to the archive's destruction then the documentation discovered in 2010 may not reflect this.

Like I said in my post (which you might have missed at the end of the last page), I think it's more likely Radio Times got their facts mixed up.

Old June 19 2013, 10:45 PM   #206
Candlelight
Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post

Like I said in my post (which you might have missed at the end of the last page), I think it's more likely Radio Times got their facts mixed up.
No I saw it, merely commenting that the established story of Sierra Leone may not be true.

Which I doubt, I'm just suggesting.
Old June 19 2013, 11:22 PM   #207
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Ian is now going silent:

It wasn't so much an announcement, more of a "no comment".

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 11:33 PM   #208
StalwartUK
Commander

I'm now almost convinced that SOMETHING has been found. The BBC just don't want to announce anything right now.
Old June 19 2013, 11:51 PM   #209
Candlelight
Admiral

StalwartUK wrote: View Post
I'm now almost convinced that SOMETHING has been found. The BBC just don't want to announce anything right now.
Personally I think the only thing holding back an announcement IF something has been found would be an arrangement with the BFI (who "barefaced" lied to Ian) about screening something at this year's Missing Believed Wiped event.

Only problem with that is the event is normally held in December.

I can't see what else would hold them back. It wouldn't take two years to sort through a stockpile of file cans, and I have no idea what negotiations would be going on (unless the owners of the "TIE archive" which was found are being picky about something; although if the films are already back in the UK...??).

Don't know. Will see.

I still don't think it would be 90 episodes. If it's Zambia then 71 at most...
Old June 19 2013, 11:56 PM   #210
diankra
Commodore

Yep, think you're right Candelight. Back when this all started, I'd assumed that the Sierra Leone near miss had led to a similar lead and we might get season three back. If TIE comes into it, then it could be more.
But... if you're putting 2 and 2 together to get 5, then TIE is one of the 2s you'd put in. It's one of the best avenues to explore in the hope of a big find, but that makes it the sort of detail to add in to make sense of a rumour...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote