RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,802
Posts: 5,326,031
Members: 24,548
Currently online: 620
Newest member: USS Vesta

TrekToday headlines

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 19 2013, 11:00 PM   #526
Dr.H
Lieutenant
 
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Dr.H wrote: View Post
I really love the fact that despite the fact the insane amount of collateral damage that Supes actually participates in most likely kills tons of people the surviving bystanders of the city of metropolis go like"He saved us!" when reacting to Supes. It was a moment that was pointed out by Mark Waid, and that took me out of the film with how unrealistic it was. I mean, I wasn't expecting a gritty, realistic flick(it's the story of a white alien from another planet that has superpowers.) but a little more believability wouldn't have hurt. I thought this film was all about"What if Superman existed in real life?" The film kinda short-changes that question a lot by doing that.
In the heat of battle it's kind of hard for Superman to pause and have a soliloquy bemoaning all the loss of life. It's not like comic books where we can have thought balloons either, and a voice-over of his inner monologue would have been awful. The fact is he was in a fight for his life, and for every other life on the planet. If he'd been able to do it any other way he would have. He even directed the fight into space at one point but got dragged back down to earth.

Still, an acknowledgment of all the collateral damage would have been nice after the fact. Maybe a few shots of Superman helping to rebuild the city. Not sure if that would have really worked either though.
You honestly think that's the only way they could have done that?
They could still easily showcase him taking strides to to protect folks or even making a speech or something in regards to those lives slain to Zod just to show he cared. And there were a ton of ways he could have diverted the fight, it's just that screenwriters forced a scenario in which he couldn't so that the stakes could be portrayed heavier--It's poor screenwriting. You say he didn't have time to mourn but he sure did have time to make out with ginger Lois while buildings were being decimated and warm corpses was being piled on, I mean he could have used that time to attempt to save some lives, or even scream for folks to evacuate. With this, I really hope David Goyer doesn't come back to write the screenplay and sticks to coming up the stories like did for the last two Batman movies.

Last edited by Dr.H; June 20 2013 at 12:45 AM.
Dr.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 11:07 PM   #527
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Dr.H wrote: View Post
You say he didn't have time to mourn but he sure did have time to make out with ginger Lois while buildings were being decimated and warm corpses was being caused, I mean he could have used that time to attempt to save some lives, or even scream for folks to evacuate.
Yeah, Lois making out with Superman over the thousands of dead bodies was pretty dumb and over the top!
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 11:26 PM   #528
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Please, it was just a kiss; they weren't making out.

And as unlikely as it is, I think we're probably meant to assume most of those buildings had been emptied or evacuated as well, since the movie doesn't make much of it afterwards. Although I agree, the writers should have done a much better job thinking out the consequences of such epic destruction, and anticipating the questions the audience might have about it.

It's not a dealbreaker for me like it is with others, but it is a flaw with the storytelling.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 11:29 PM   #529
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

I suppose the freshly dead do smell quite a lot if all their bowels opened and released upon death.

I mean if you kill a hundred 50 thousand people at once in such a small area, that's going to be a hundred and 50 thousand people farting all at the time.

Think how loud the compounded noise would be.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 11:36 PM   #530
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

davejames wrote: View Post
And as unlikely as it is, I think we're probably meant to assume most of those buildings had been emptied or evacuated as well, since the movie doesn't make much of it afterwards. Although I agree, the writers should have done a much better job thinking out the consequences of such epic destruction, and anticipating the questions the audience might have about it.
Even if most of the buildings were evacuated, thousands would have been crushed when the buildings started falling.

I think people are noticing it so much more because Superman wisely took the fight to a less crowded location in Superman II while fighting Zod. Fans are simply asking why he didn't do the same in this movie since the two major fights took place in crowded locations. In fact Superman seemed to have more brains in Superman II, especially with how he defeated Zod.

Superman is treated more like a brute in this movie, with murder being only solution to end the fight with Zod.
__________________
=)

Last edited by Dream; June 20 2013 at 12:20 AM.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 11:46 PM   #531
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker
 
Savage Dragon's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

They weren't making out. It was more an act of comfort. Just look at how Lois's hands were shaking. She was scared shitless and needed some reassurance. I'm sure Clark wasn't feeling much better.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 11:47 PM   #532
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain
 
Capt_Pickirk's Avatar
 
Location: Sunny ol' Blighty
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

The Flash actually grabbed everyone and carried them to safety before they could come to harm. He just moved so fast that no one saw him.
__________________
Capt_Pickirk... also known as Greenpenguino everywhere else but here. Because everywhere else is more awesome than here...

RIP Doctor Who 1963-1996
Capt_Pickirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 11:53 PM   #533
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Capt_Pickirk wrote: View Post
The Flash actually grabbed everyone and carried them to safety before they could come to harm. He just moved so fast that no one saw him.
It's not canon if they don't show in onscreen! I thought being a Trekkie has taught you that?
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 12:04 AM   #534
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Dr.H wrote: View Post
...or even scream for folks to evacuate.
If your too stupid to run when you see shit going down, Superman screaming isn't going to make a world of difference.
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 12:42 AM   #535
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Remember when Superman was screaming "NOOOO! THE PEOPLE!" in Superman II" while fighting the three krypton criminals?

We should have had something like that in MOS.
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 12:55 AM   #536
Dr.H
Lieutenant
 
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
They weren't making out. It was more an act of comfort. Just look at how Lois's hands were shaking. She was scared shitless and needed some reassurance. I'm sure Clark wasn't feeling much better.
Eh, I would say that moment really was trying fulfill the usual Hollywood romance. Its really a generic romantic payoff coded under a grim situation. That scene could have worked if the stakes at that moment weren't so high. He just wasted his time--along with many lives with that little ''comfort. '' Not to mention the bad dialogue from that scene which is utterly out place considering the gravity of situation. They kissed at the worst possible time.

Last edited by Dr.H; June 20 2013 at 01:38 AM.
Dr.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 01:50 AM   #537
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Speaking of Amy Adams. Can anyone name the 3 other actors who previously had roles on "Smallville"?
Mike Dopud, Alessandro Juliani and Tahmoh Penikett
Ian Tracey was also on Smallville.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 02:03 AM   #538
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Dream wrote: View Post
I think people are noticing it so much more because Superman wisely took the fight to a less crowded location in Superman II while fighting Zod. Fans are simply asking why he didn't do the same in this movie since the two major fights took place in crowded locations. In fact Superman seemed to have more brains in Superman II, especially with how he defeated Zod.
Um, they actually spend quite a lot of time fighting in and above Metropolis in Superman II. It's not until Superman gets his ass kicked that he suddenly decides to lure Zod and the gang to the Fortress-- in what appears to be more of a fall-back plan for Supes than a desire to spare Metropolis.

Obviously the level of destruction wasn't nearly as great as in MOS, but the point is Superman still spends quite a lot of time there duking it out with the supervillains before flying off.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 02:09 AM   #539
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

davejames wrote: View Post
I have to admit, I haven't felt this energized after a movie in quite a while.
I know what you mean. I really like this version of Superman and it's been on my mind a lot over the last week. The next installment can't get here soon enough. I was also thinking that it would be nice if they could put out a well written comic that takes place in this world, the way they're doing with Star Trek and Smallville, just so I can have my Man of Steel fix. I don't see what stories it could tell though since they're just getting started and there probably isn't much they could use as a follow-up that would be better on the page than in a sequel.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 02:13 AM   #540
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

"World of Krypton"

There's a hundred thousand years of History we could explore there.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher nolan, man of steel, superman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.