RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,835
Posts: 5,220,219
Members: 24,232
Currently online: 595
Newest member: leoveanus

TrekToday headlines

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 19 2013, 12:44 AM   #6586
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

FYI: io9.com has just posted the second chapter from the movie novelization, with Jor-El and the Genesis Chamber . . ..
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 03:18 AM   #6587
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Greg's novelization arrived a few minutes ago! Can't wait to start reading it.


As for the Brainiac references, the codex itsself was shaped like Brainiac's Skull ship. I don't know if that was intentional or if I'm just reaching. Also the Phantom Zone ship projector device was shaped like his triangle logo. I think also in some of the infortmation data streams resembled the same. I'll have to see it again to see...but I'm not the only one of my friends who picked up on this. Very subtle stuff.
I was really hoping the floating interface thing was following Jor-El around on Krypton would turn out to be Brainiac, but sadly it wasn't.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 04:24 AM   #6588
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Nope, that's almost directly from John Byrne's MOS. Even the name Kal-X. (sp?)
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 04:32 AM   #6589
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Kelex
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 04:47 AM   #6590
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

LOL
__________________
97X... BAM! THE FUTURE OF ROCK AND ROLL...
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 07:46 AM   #6591
Shaka Zulu
Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I hate Real Estate Luthor as well. I've always wondered if on some level it wasn't intentional parody of "Build A Giant Robot To Rob Banks Luthor" from the old comics - a supposed world-class genius whose ambitions were laughably picayune.

Byrne's rethinking of the character as a narcissist who used his extraordinary gifts to make himself incredibly wealthy, successful and effectively beyond the reach of the law most of the time has always seemed the most credible version and remains my favorite.

Had Hollywood accounting not derailed Superman Returns, we could have seen Real Estate Lex become Corporate Executive Lex, since he's already swindled an old lady out of her money and company, and would be presumably wealthy enough to hide and start his own corporation (or simply rename Vanderworth Corporation Lexcorp) as well as afford a lawyer or two to get himself off (it would be hard to prove Lex had anything to do with the power disruptions and minor quakes.) With his brains, Luthor could invent a ton of stuff that would make him wealthy and liked, enough of course to still go after Superman 'because'.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 08:00 AM   #6592
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

^ Lex first would have had to find a way to get off that tiny island in the middle of nowhere before all that happened
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 08:02 AM   #6593
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Was reading through a bit of the novelization, and I couldn't help but wonder about all the extra dialogue in there (such as in the interrogation scene where Hamilton theorizes about Superman's ability to fly). I'd be curious to know how much of that was in the original script, and how much is just embellishment from the author.

Either way, it's really good stuff, and makes me want to see an Extended Cut of this movie even more!
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 03:02 PM   #6594
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

davejames wrote: View Post
Was reading through a bit of the novelization, and I couldn't help but wonder about all the extra dialogue in there (such as in the interrogation scene where Hamilton theorizes about Superman's ability to fly). I'd be curious to know how much of that was in the original script, and how much is just embellishment from the author.

Either way, it's really good stuff, and makes me want to see an Extended Cut of this movie even more!
Most of that dialogue was in the script. I was pretty scrupulous about sticking to the script.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 04:54 PM   #6595
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Hmm, interesting. So I guess in the original version Lois actually did get the entire name "Superman" out there during the interrogation. It was only through some clever editing that they decided to cut her off like that.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 04:56 PM   #6596
FreezeC77
Commodore
 
FreezeC77's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Was reading through a bit of the novelization, and I couldn't help but wonder about all the extra dialogue in there (such as in the interrogation scene where Hamilton theorizes about Superman's ability to fly). I'd be curious to know how much of that was in the original script, and how much is just embellishment from the author.

Either way, it's really good stuff, and makes me want to see an Extended Cut of this movie even more!
Most of that dialogue was in the script. I was pretty scrupulous about sticking to the script.
I'm looking forward to reading the novelization because when watching the movie I felt like quite a few times the story in the movie went from point A to point C and skipped point B. Likely due to things being cut/trimmed.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 05:27 PM   #6597
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Was reading through a bit of the novelization, and I couldn't help but wonder about all the extra dialogue in there (such as in the interrogation scene where Hamilton theorizes about Superman's ability to fly). I'd be curious to know how much of that was in the original script, and how much is just embellishment from the author.

Either way, it's really good stuff, and makes me want to see an Extended Cut of this movie even more!
Most of that dialogue was in the script. I was pretty scrupulous about sticking to the script.
I'm looking forward to reading the novelization because when watching the movie I felt like quite a few times the story in the movie went from point A to point C and skipped point B. Likely due to things being cut/trimmed.
About the only thing I tweaked was working some of the Kryptonian names and terminology into the dialogue just so that Clark and Lois and the various military folks would know what the name of Zod's ship was, what Faora and Nam-Ek and Jax-Ur were named, etc. This was necessary because I wanted to be able to refer to the Kryptonians by name even if a scene was being told from the POV of Lois or Col. Hardy or Dr. Hamilton or whomever.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 05:48 PM   #6598
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
I'm looking forward to reading the novelization because when watching the movie I felt like quite a few times the story in the movie went from point A to point C and skipped point B. Likely due to things being cut/trimmed.
I thought the overall story still held together and flowed pretty well, but I admit it does still feel like a lot of stuff was cut out.

Especially in the scenes with Clark and Lois, which all feel just a bit too abbreviated somehow.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 05:51 PM   #6599
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Speaking of which, my author copies just arrived in the mail. Yippee!

I'm admiring them now . . ..
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 06:01 PM   #6600
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Speaking of which, my author copies just arrived in the mail. Yippee!

I'm admiring them now . . ..
So what's the worst movie you've written the novelization for?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher nolan, man of steel, superman, zack snyder

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.