RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,763
Posts: 5,216,572
Members: 24,217
Currently online: 820
Newest member: Vger23

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 19 2013, 03:05 AM   #151
Turbo
Vice Admiral
 
Turbo's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta
View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo
Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

^ The Moonbase, perhaps? We've only seen stills of the animation, not clips. And it's still possible that they could get another serial cleared for late November/early December. The Tenth Planet still hasn't been officially announced for release here in the States, so we don't have a firm release date on that one yet.
__________________
Odo: Your faith seems to have led you to something of a contradiction.
Kira: I don't see it as a contradiction.
Odo: I don't understand.
Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 03:06 AM   #152
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

Candlelight wrote: View Post
It depends though, a secret DVD release of one of these stories would still have to be available publicly for clearance purposes - so they would have to announce it anyway ahead of time.
They would never get a DVD in the shops secretly, because there's no way that retailers wouldn't leak the information that there's (to pick one) "Evil of the Daleks" going on the shelves on such-and-such a date. Long before you reached that point, 2|Entertain would have to produce sales sheets for the buyers at the stores to use so they would know what they're buying and stocking. No retailer is going to stock something blind, especially if they're not even told what it is. In short, way too many people would know, and you couldn't NDA the buyers in every retail establishment in Britain.

About the best the BBC could do would be to announce, a month out, that in a month's time "Evil" will go on sale in a 2-disc set and, that same day, send it for clearance. That's the absolutely best they could do.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 03:10 AM   #153
Candlelight
Admiral
 
Candlelight's Avatar
 
Location: Candlelight
Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Another Bleeding Cool update: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/...ee-tons-worth/

Whatever the end result may be, it's beyond clear that lots of elaborate theories have been built on disconnected, third-and-fourth-hand gossip and speculation.
For those of you playing at home, Zambia did not buy the following missing stories:

Mission to the Unknown
The Daleks Master Plan
The Tenth Planet
The Power of the Daleks
The Evil of the Daleks
Fury from the Deep
The Wheel in Space
The Invasion
__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 03:11 AM   #154
Candlelight
Admiral
 
Candlelight's Avatar
 
Location: Candlelight
Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Candlelight wrote: View Post
It depends though, a secret DVD release of one of these stories would still have to be available publicly for clearance purposes - so they would have to announce it anyway ahead of time.
They would never get a DVD in the shops secretly, because there's no way that retailers wouldn't leak the information that there's (to pick one) "Evil of the Daleks" going on the shelves on such-and-such a date. Long before you reached that point, 2|Entertain would have to produce sales sheets for the buyers at the stores to use so they would know what they're buying and stocking. No retailer is going to stock something blind, especially if they're not even told what it is. In short, way too many people would know, and you couldn't NDA the buyers in every retail establishment in Britain.

About the best the BBC could do would be to announce, a month out, that in a month's time "Evil" will go on sale in a 2-disc set and, that same day, send it for clearance. That's the absolutely best they could do.
That answers my question - they would likely do an announcement in October then.
__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 03:14 AM   #155
Candlelight
Admiral
 
Candlelight's Avatar
 
Location: Candlelight
Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

Just a comment from Paul V from last year:

I think this is one of those cases where rumours of the BBC holding back something for the 50th anniversary (which would not happen) appears to have turned into a belief of fact.
Does he stick to his guns or be ordered to stay silent for months by those above him...
__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 03:20 AM   #156
Tom
Rear Admiral
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Location: In your Mind!
Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

But why keep it secret? Why not build up the hype about an upcoming realease? or at least tell the public they retrieved the episodes but needed to see if they can be restored? It would build momentum. This cloak and dagger shit will cause bad PR. Jeesh, I thought the BBC was bad about announcing the premier dates of new episodes, are they run by M6? LOL

Still, this story is more interesting than a Doctor Who episode. LOL
__________________
AP - Star Trek: Renegades - Starring Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo, Sean Young & many more - Coming 2014 - www.startrekrenegades.com
https://www.facebook.com/STRtheSeries
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 03:20 AM   #157
Nightowl1701
Commander
 
Location: Orlando, FL
Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

Even just confirming that the missing episodes have been found and are on their way - doesn't even have to be this year - will be more than enough for most Whovians. And while they may not be able to pull a DVD together by November, IF they have one whole serial restored and ready to go, they can air it. The perfect one-two-three knockout for Saturday, November 23'rd on BBC1/BBC America: Adventures in Time And Space, the restored missing serial (take your pick which one), 50'th Anniversary "Ten(nant) returns" special. And, if they've kept it quiet until then, "The Name of the (Twelfth) Doctor" is announced. BOOM.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 03:23 AM   #158
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Another Bleeding Cool update: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/...ee-tons-worth/

Whatever the end result may be, it's beyond clear that lots of elaborate theories have been built on disconnected, third-and-fourth-hand gossip and speculation.
A guy named Phillip Morris did indeed bring 3 tons of old films to Liverpool in Sept-Oct. 2011. Whether that is *the* Phillip Morris and whether those films contain 90 missing DW episodes is TBD.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 03:34 AM   #159
Candlelight
Admiral
 
Candlelight's Avatar
 
Location: Candlelight
Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

Tom wrote: View Post
But why keep it secret? Why not build up the hype about an upcoming realease? or at least tell the public they retrieved the episodes but needed to see if they can be restored? It would build momentum. This cloak and dagger shit will cause bad PR. Jeesh, I thought the BBC was bad about announcing the premier dates of new episodes, are they run by M6? LOL
The only reason I can see is there is still an issue with 'negotiations'.

Or someone who didn't realise this would get "out of hand" slapped an embargo on it, and that still stands.
__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 03:38 AM   #160
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Even just confirming that the missing episodes have been found and are on their way - doesn't even have to be this year - will be more than enough for most Whovians. And while they may not be able to pull a DVD together by November, IF they have one whole serial restored and ready to go, they can air it. The perfect one-two-three knockout for Saturday, November 23'rd on BBC1/BBC America: Adventures in Time And Space, the restored missing serial (take your pick which one), 50'th Anniversary "Ten(nant) returns" special. And, if they've kept it quiet until then, "The Name of the (Twelfth) Doctor" is announced. BOOM.
Moffat did say, what was being discussed as "all we get for the Anniversary" was BS, that there was more. That could very well be a recovered/restored Serial

ETA: The Anniversary is seeming further and further away
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; June 19 2013 at 04:00 AM.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 04:01 AM   #161
Candlelight
Admiral
 
Candlelight's Avatar
 
Location: Candlelight
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Mods... couldn't you have kept the original thread title?

Just asking.

...sounded better...

__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 04:17 AM   #162
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

I don't understand why the BBC just doesn't get out front of this story and make a statement either way. If Morris did return their property as it appears, there is nothing to negotiate. They should be hyping this and building the anticipation.

Side question, does anyone know if the BBC has announced lost material for other shows/films since 2011? Perhaps they would've announced them even if not Doctor Who? That could be something to check out, but I didn't find anything during a quick Google search.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 04:25 AM   #163
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I don't understand why the BBC just doesn't get out front of this story and make a statement either way. If Morris did return their property as it appears, there is nothing to negotiate. They should be hyping this and building the anticipation.
If there's something to get in front of (as with the BBC Worldwide e-mail that Levine wrote about that forced the BBC's hand on Matt Smith's departure), then there's a good chance we'll see something happen, an announcement made in the next forty-eight hours. And it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on Levine's Twitter feed tomorrow.

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Side question, does anyone know if the BBC has announced lost material for other shows/films since 2011? Perhaps they would've announced them even if not Doctor Who? That could be something to check out, but I didn't find anything during a quick Google search.
There were two episodes of The Sky at Night that were recovered last year, if memory serves.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 05:11 AM   #164
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

^ The fact that only 2 episodes of that show was announced makes me suspicious about the entire rumor. Would the BBC keep the entire 3 ton shipment a secret just so we wouldn't wonder about Doctor Who recoveries? Maybe they'd do just that but it does seem extreme.

Well, they could get out front of it either by confirming the find, or by denying it so the rumors don't take over. Ok, too late for that but they could put out the fire if it's not true.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 05:17 AM   #165
Candlelight
Admiral
 
Candlelight's Avatar
 
Location: Candlelight
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I don't understand why the BBC just doesn't get out front of this story and make a statement either way. If Morris did return their property as it appears, there is nothing to negotiate. They should be hyping this and building the anticipation.
You're assuming we know all the factors. There could be other elements at play. For all we know they could've made a deal with the BFI (again) for a screening later in the year. Part of that deal could be an embargo until a specific date...
__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.