Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 18 2013, 10:39 PM   #16
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: The problem with introducing my kids to Star Trek

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Sran wrote: View Post
Do you have kids? If you say, "I don't know," they'll want to know why.
Well, he's only 6 months old now, so rolling on his tummy is what preoccupies him mostly these days.
Very nice! Does he commando crawl?

--Sran
Old June 19 2013, 02:26 PM   #17
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Or make up some crap. They'll never know!
Is that logical?

--Sran

Logical? Probably not, but making stuff up is about as accurate as the pick-your-own-canon/continuity Trek books and websites kids will encounter.
Old June 19 2013, 02:52 PM   #18
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Location: five hundred parsecs from where we are... I mean, were... I mean...

I've never thought of the Romulans as having an empire as such. That may be due to some vague memories of the James Blish text saying they were confined to the twin planets Romulus and Remus inside the neutral zone.

Or, to get into less-canonical sources, there was the Power Records track "In Vino Veritas" (if anybody remembers that), where Kirk referred to "the Romulan sphere" and "the Romulan hegemony," but never "the Romulan Empire."
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 03:19 PM   #19
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Very nice! Does he commando crawl?
Well, he tries. Furiously, I might add.
Old June 19 2013, 03:42 PM   #20
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

My suggestion would be to keep them watching TOS for at least the next 10 to 15 years before exposing them to anything else. This and having them look for, research and read every fanzine and article ever published.(If they find the old Dynamite Magazine Trek issues let me know as I will buy it off them)
This way they will be be fully informed in reference to what has been established and yet has been argued upon in forums such as this. Yes, include TAS in their studies and have them get back with us in the year 2028 or so........
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 03:42 AM   #21
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Komack wrote: View Post
One of the problems of introducing my kids to Star Trek is now I'm getting questions that I can't answer - especially from my 10 year old son. Here are today's questions, if any one can help:

(1) What is "bigger" - the Klingon or Romulan empire?

(2) How many planets/worlds make up the two empires?

(3) Did the Federation have a war with the Romulans before the Klingons?

(4) What happened to the Organian (spelling?) peace treaty?

Yikes!
Great questions from an 10 year for sure.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 06:29 AM   #22
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Or make up some crap. They'll never know!
Is that logical?

--Sran
Page 147 in the Romulan Parenting Manual.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 02:49 PM   #23
Lance
Fleet Captain

In regards to "war" with the Klingons, my reading of Errand Of Mercy has always been that the Federation and Klingons are on the brink of war in that episode, not that they've been fighting one already. They've clearly been in conflict, yes, but has it escalated into war? I think Kirk and company are anticipating a war, before the Organians step in and put a stop to it.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 07:55 PM   #24
Pavonis
Commodore

In "Errand of Mercy", Starfleet orders Kirk to Organia in anticipation of a surprise attack there. Negotiations with the Klingons are breaking down, and Feds consider war imminent. Enterprise is attacked on the way to Organia, and Command issued a "code one" which Kirk interpreted as a confirmation that war was declared against the Empire.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 03:36 AM   #25
Galactic Alignment
Commander

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
I am facing a lot of the same questions introducing my Fiance to Star Trek- she saw the newest movie first, then next weekend I showed her 'The Space Seed' and 'The Wrath of Khan'..

Favorite comment so far:

"You know honey, not to seem ugly or anything, but William Shatner is not a very good actor,, is he?"

Since she is going to be part of my life I am trying to show her what I like, where I am coming from and quite frankly most of this sounds silly as hell when you try to describe it to a person who has only seen PriceLine commercials...
Hah, I showed my girlfriend TWOK on Blu-ray a few days after we'd gone to see STID, and on seeing Kirk's big entrance said "he looks ridiculous that much younger", as she literally only knows of Shatner as the crazy old man who 'sang' a twisted cover of a Pulp song.

(Incidentally, despite having only seen the Abramsverse films and TWOK but nothing else of Trek, Galaxy Quest is one of her favourite films, and she insisted that we watch it on DVD not long after we first met years ago. How would you even 'get' that film without basic knowledge of Trek?!)
Galactic Alignment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 03:41 AM   #26
Sran
Fleet Captain

Alignment X wrote: View Post
Hah, I showed my girlfriend TWOK on Blu-ray a few days after we'd gone to see STID, and on seeing Kirk's big entrance said "he looks ridiculous that much younger", as she literally only knows of Shatner as the crazy old man who 'sang' a twisted cover of a Pulp song.
It's funny she said that because I've always thought Shatner looked extremely old in TWOK but managed to look younger in both TSFS and TVH.

--Sran
Old June 22 2013, 08:00 PM   #27
publiusr
Commodore

I think that too. Ironically more time has passed from ST TWOK to today than from TOS to the movies. That's a hard pill to swallow.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 04:52 AM   #28
Dale Sams
Captain

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
I am facing a lot of the same questions introducing my Fiance to Star Trek- she saw the newest movie first, then next weekend I showed her 'The Space Seed' and 'The Wrath of Khan'..
Favorite comment so far:
"You know honey, not to seem ugly or anything, but William Shatner is not a very good actor,, is he?"

Since she is going to be part of my life I am trying to show her what I like, where I am coming from and quite frankly most of this sounds silly as hell when you try to describe it to a person who has only seen PriceLine commercials...
Dump her immediately. If she can't recognize Shatner's greatness in Star Trek and his finest film performance than there's no hope for her.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 08:46 AM   #29
sariel2005
Lieutenant

With the size of the respective Empires, Klingons are certainly more visible in Star Trek, and but heads with the Federation more over contested planets so based on that they are probably bigger.
That said The Romulans of the TOS era are not quite as isolationist as suggested, The Romulan Commander speaks of hundreds of campaigns of war, asking why it must always be so, and notes the sucess of the prototype will lead to another war.
FWIW the Romulan Admiral in Enterprise notes that he was broken for questioning the Romulan policy of expansion.

It really seems impossible to pin down the total number of planets, anymore than you can for the Federation.
Listing the worlds known is possible though
of the top of my head -
Klingons have Qo' nos, Rura Penthe, Khitomer, Narenda III,

Romulans Romulus and Remus ( and thats all I can think off!)
Well, the Romulan Commander never said they won those campaigns I guess ....

The Romulan war was definitely first, occuring over a century before the TOS era, Humanity did meet the Klingons first though as seen in Enterrprise.
As mentioned its unknown whether there was a full scale war with the Klingons, at least prior to the brief one in Errand of Mercy, though we know there was a skirmish at Donatu V some 23 years before Trouble with Tribbles.

The Organian peace treaty seems to last, at least technically through to ST6 as noted, however Kruge has no real quarms about attacking the Grissom in ST3 ( and the Klingon ambassador, does not disavow these actions as unsanctioned). The Klingon Ambassador goes to threaten " No peace while Kirk lives " in ST4 and a faction of both Klingons and Starfleet are gearing up for war in ST6 so it seems that no one takes Organian enforcement of the treaty to seriously for whatever reason. Then again, the Organians seemed to know that the Federation and Klingons would become allies one day, so possibly they knew how things would unfold all along and saw no need to get involved ( also makes Kirks disbelief at Ayebournes statement a tad more ironic FWIW).
sariel2005 is offline   Reply With Quote