Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 16 2013, 04:53 AM   #61
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Game of Thrones (book/show) newbie (please no spoilers!)

Being disliked for your manner is far less hurtful than being disliked for simply being what you are.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 09:01 AM   #62
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
One of the most far off is actually Peter Dinklage. He's far too handsome and charismatic to play Tyrion. Supposed to be ugly and gross in manner.
He's not supposed to be ugly on the show. A character actually acknowledges at some point that he's quite handsome if you overlook the size issue (I'm so going to the special hell for that one...).
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 12:12 PM   #63
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Shanndee wrote: View Post
I'm with you DevilEyes. I am on page 445 and I find Tyrion the most funny, charming and smart character thus far.
Tyrion seems incredibly funny, charming and smart to the reader. In the books the general public and pretty much all his associates find him disgusting because of his behaviour and manner. In the show he's much more... suave and restrained.

I could name countless scenes in the books that have either been removed or vastly changed in the show to make Tyrion more polite and honourable. I won't though obviously cus people are still reading.

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
He's not supposed to be ugly on the show. A character actually acknowledges at some point that he's quite handsome if you overlook the size issue (I'm so going to the special hell for that one...).
I know, I just think it takes away from the character. I don't think people would call Peter Dinklage a demon or a gargoyle.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 02:41 PM   #64
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

Shanndee wrote: View Post
I'm with you DevilEyes. I am on page 445 and I find Tyrion the most funny, charming and smart character thus far.
Tyrion seems incredibly funny, charming and smart to the reader. In the books the general public and pretty much all his associates find him disgusting because of his behaviour and manner. In the show he's much more... suave and restrained.

I could name countless scenes in the books that have either been removed or vastly changed in the show to make Tyrion more polite and honourable. I won't though obviously cus people are still reading.
I concur. I wonder how closely they'll stick to the book next season, though.
Old June 16 2013, 08:08 PM   #65
Shanndee
Commodore

But don't you think that the viewer and the reader are sharing the same experience?

To me it appears that the characters in universe are responding to Tyrion with disgust and derision. I don't see him having many friends or winning anyone over.

Anyway, it is early going for me. I'm only on page 500. I'll revisit this viewpoint when I get further along.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 02:23 AM   #66
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

I always thought Tyrion was just being what people expected him to be. If they were going to call him a monster, then that's what he would be.
Old June 17 2013, 03:01 AM   #67
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Likable to readers doesn't mean likable within the story. A lot of Tyrion's humor, and his taste in associates, is too crass for the society in which he operates; it's not just his appearance that makes people shy away from him. He's really rather sneering and insinuating. Because the reader is in Tyrion's head and on his side, it's less obvious, but an awful lot of his funny lines are not actually appropriate things to say to people if you care about being liked. Which he doesn't, because he's decided no one is going to like him no matter how polite he is.
Does Tyriol behave like he wants to be liked? Heck, no. Tyrion is sardonic and insulting, but in a smart way. That's not what what I associate with the word "gross". Gross is how Viserys behaves to his sister. And I don't know what the show has changed about Tyrion's manner, but I don't see the need for it. To the reader, a lot of the accepted behavior of the society described in the book is gross, and the reader is only likely to side with Tyrion for mocking them.

It's actually funny to say that Tyrion's behavior is "too crass to the society in which he operates", when this society is overall very crass, with few exceptions. At least from our point of view.

I know, I just think it takes away from the character. I don't think people would call Peter Dinklage a demon or a gargoyle.
But how large a pool of great dwarf actors who could play that role is in the first place? And were they really going to turn down Dinklage on the grounds that he just wasn't ugly enough, and look for "a really ugly little person" to fill the role?

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 03:41 AM   #68
Dream
Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
But how large a pool of great dwarf actors who could play that role is in the first place? And were they really going to turn down Dinklage on the grounds that he just wasn't ugly enough, and look for "a really ugly little person" to fill the role?
Dinklage was always the first choice of author George R.R. Martin and producers to play the role of Tyrion.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 04:18 AM   #69
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Because he is goddamn talented moreso than he physically resembles the character in the books.

Much like Ned, Robert and most of the other adult leads, he is physically quite unlike his book counterpart due to being aged 15 years and the casting director being limited to people who actually exist. (Ned looks like Sean Bean because Sean Bean is a BAMF, resemblance be damned.)
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 10:05 AM   #70
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Peter Dinklage was the only actor who was offered the part of Tyrion, no one else was auditioned for it and the producers never thought of anyone else for the role.
Other actors were auditioned for Ned, but only in case Sean Bean refused. He was the producers' first choice for Ned.
Old June 17 2013, 08:55 PM   #71
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Mark Addy is far from perfect. Robert was a demigod amongst men. Tall, strong, handsome, etc. Yes he went to seed, yes he was fat and well past his prime, but in no world was Mark Addy's Robert ever the Robert Baratheon who won the war swinging his enormous warhammer one handed and charming every girl who crossed his path. Likewise, Renly suffered for being just as unimpressive. I never believed for a moment that anyone would follow either of them into battle.
I haven't seen Renly on screen yet (still just seen the first episode!) but in the book he's described as the most handsome man Sansa had ever seen, and looking at the pics of the actor online... I guess she hadn't seen that many men.
Sansa was also sweet on Loras Tyrell, especially after he gave her the rose at the Hand's Tourney.

Boy, she sure can pick 'em!
Old June 17 2013, 09:26 PM   #72
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Sansa was also sweet on Loras Tyrell, especially after he gave her the rose at the Hand's Tourney.

I haven't gotten to this part yet (the tourney's just about to start) but it's not much of a spoiler, I guess.

Speaking of jerks Sansa had a crush on, I'm going to speculate a bit about the things most of you l know already. I was spoiled on Jaime/Cercei going on, but from the moment it was revealed in the book, I suspected that what they're trying to hide isn't just that, but that Joffrey is not Robert's son and that his uncle is his real dad. Now I've read the part where they talk about the late Jon Arryn taking an interest in a book about genealogy of noble families (and that story about how he supposedly was mentioning Robert's son on his deathbed), and I'm currently 100% sure my inkling is right, to the point that I'm going to be really surprised and disappointed if it doesn't turn out to be true. I'm just waiting to see how, when and who gets to find out.

What I'm not sure about is the other two kids. I'm wondering if the fact that little Tommen is chubby was mentioned as a clue that he's really Robert's son. In real life, I naturally wouldn't think any of it - many children are fat and grow up to be slim, and Robert was athletic when he was young and we don't know what he was like as a child, but he may also be one of those men who are prone to gaining weight and who are chubby as children, slim down in their early youth but then get fat pretty early. Mainly, I'm going to guess that Tommen is Robert's son, because 1) when something is mentioned in a book it's likely to be a clue and 2) it would make the story more complicated and interesting (not to mention dangerous for Tommen, if the spoiled brat learns he's not king's real son but his little brother is) - not in this book, probably, but down the line.

But don't tell me if I'm right or not.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 11:53 PM   #73
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post

I haven't gotten to this part yet (the tourney's just about to start) but it's not much of a spoiler, I guess.

Speaking of jerks Sansa had a crush on, I'm going to speculate a bit about the things most of you l know already. I was spoiled on Jaime/Cercei going on, but from the moment it was revealed in the book, I suspected that what they're trying to hide isn't just that, but that Joffrey is not Robert's son and that his uncle is his real dad. Now I've read the part where they talk about the late Jon Arryn taking an interest in a book about genealogy of noble families (and that story about how he supposedly was mentioning Robert's son on his deathbed), and I'm currently 100% sure my inkling is right, to the point that I'm going to be really surprised and disappointed if it doesn't turn out to be true. I'm just waiting to see how, when and who gets to find out.

What I'm not sure about is the other two kids. I'm wondering if the fact that little Tommen is chubby was mentioned as a clue that he's really Robert's son. In real life, I naturally wouldn't think any of it - many children are fat and grow up to be slim, and Robert was athletic when he was young and we don't know what he was like as a child, but he may also be one of those men who are prone to gaining weight and who are chubby as children, slim down in their early youth but then get fat pretty early. Mainly, I'm going to guess that Tommen is Robert's son, because 1) when something is mentioned in a book it's likely to be a clue and 2) it would make the story more complicated and interesting (not to mention dangerous for Tommen, if the spoiled brat learns he's not king's real son but his little brother is) - not in this book, probably, but down the line.

But don't tell me if I'm right or not.
You are right. Or you may not actually be right. In this day and age, who can know?

I need to reread the books. I read for the first time a little over a year ago, and since then the show and the books have become somewhat conflated in my head. One of the biggest difference in how the story translates into the medium of television is that we as viewers believe what we see, expecting the screen to show us the objective reality of what is going on. The books, on the other hand, show us reality as it is perceived by the POV character in question. Sansa, for example, has grown up in the remote backwater city of Winterfell, spending her whole life reading fairy tales about the noble knights and fair maidens of the south. Now she is actually there, seeing it all with her own eyes, yet she still has the fairy tale ideal stuck in her head. Of course Renly, Loras, Joffrey, and the rest are beautiful noble knights - all the knights from the old stories are like that.
Old June 18 2013, 04:08 PM   #74
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Shurik wrote: View Post
Peter Dinklage was the only actor who was offered the part of Tyrion, no one else was auditioned for it and the producers never thought of anyone else for the role.
Other actors were auditioned for Ned, but only in case Sean Bean refused. He was the producers' first choice for Ned.
I don't suppose you know what other actors were auditioned for Ned, or have they kept the names quiet?
Old June 18 2013, 10:18 PM   #75
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Shurik wrote: View Post
I don't suppose you know what other actors were auditioned for Ned, or have they kept the names quiet?
It is something I've read in one of their interviews, D&D didn't say who the other actors were. I suppose those had to be pretty big names ...