Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

View Poll Results: Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?
I'll get both 10 11.36%
Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4) 45 51.14%
Staying with Xbox (360 to One) 12 13.64%
Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4) 21 23.86%
Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One) 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 18 2013, 10:46 AM   #76
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

PS4, because i prefer the games on the Sony platform ever since i bought the 1st one many moons ago...
Old June 18 2013, 11:19 AM   #77
Darth_Daver
Captain

I'm your average microsoft fanboy, not the crazy one. I own a xbox360 (bought a new one a month ago after the old one the gf had for 5 years gave out), I never liked anything Sony, and will definitely not be switching to PS4. (Hell, I exclusively use Wp7/Wp8 phones for almost two years now)

Used games and internet doesn't really bother me, but the negative vibe and the worse price point virtually guarantees that the earliest I'll buy an Xbone is after two price drops, and the release of the first halo not coming out on x360.

Shame on you MS.
Darth_Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 11:50 AM   #78
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

That second one is already in motion - Halo #5 (seemingly untitled yet apart from "Halo") is currently slated for Xbox One-only release in 2014.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 01:43 PM   #79
Jono
Rear Admiral

Not in a rush to retire the ol' PS3, but when that time comes I'll continue with the PS line, which I've been with since the PS1.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 04:17 PM   #80
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Takeru wrote: View Post
And I had no idea Nintendo was actually losing money, they sell everything at a profit, did they spend that much for R&D?
The Wii U was actually sold at a small loss, at least that was the case at launch. Manufacturing costs may have come down enough by now that they're making a small profit on each unit, but I imagine the cost of the tablet controller is keeping the cost up even though the console itself isn't that powerful. That's why they're reluctant to do a price cut even though the system isn't selling.

As Bob said, Nintendo have a sizeable war-chest so the company isn't going to go under any time soon. The risk is that if the Wii U completely flops then Nintendo may be temped to pull a Sega and drop out of the hardware business, releasing their games on Playstation and Xbox. I don't think that's too likely, but these are strange times in the console business, and if they think they can make more money with that strategy then they may go for it.
Old June 18 2013, 04:23 PM   #81
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I wonder what would happen down the line if that happened, Nintendo releasing everything on the PS4/PSN and Microsoft not letting up on the problems with the XBone.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 04:50 PM   #82
Takeru
Fleet Captain

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
The risk is that if the Wii U completely flops then Nintendo may be temped to pull a Sega and drop out of the hardware business, releasing their games on Playstation and Xbox.
After one flop with a bajillion dollars in the bank, the 3DS being really successful and them winning the last generation? If companies would be so quick to drop out of the console hardware business we'd all be playing PC games exclisively by now.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 06:08 PM   #83
ATimson
Rear Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
The risk is that if the Wii U completely flops then Nintendo may be temped to pull a Sega and drop out of the hardware business, releasing their games on Playstation and Xbox. I don't think that's too likely, but these are strange times in the console business, and if they think they can make more money with that strategy then they may go for it.
Nintendo has said in the past that they won't do that, that they'd just drop out of the home console business altogether instead. (They'd still have their strong handheld business to sustain them.)

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 06:12 PM   #84
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Takeru wrote: View Post
After one flop with a bajillion dollars in the bank, the 3DS being really successful and them winning the last generation? If companies would be so quick to drop out of the console hardware business we'd all be playing PC games exclisively by now.
It sounds crazy at first, but it may make sense in the long run. Console manufacturers generally don't make money selling consoles, they make money licensing and selling games. Nintendo has a poor track-record with third party publishers ever since the N64 for a variety of reasons, so they don't make as much money through licensing as MS or Sony. They made an effort to win over third parties with the Wii U, but that didn't seem to work out. Since the Wii U is being sold at a slight loss/small profit, Nintendo is going to make most of their money from first party games, but the profitability of those games will be impacted by their low install base. If the PS4 and the XBO have larger install bases than the Wii U, it may make more financial sense for Nintendo to release their games on those platforms.

When the next generation of home consoles come around (if game consoles are still relevant by then) Nintendo will have several options:

1) Try to compete against MS/Sony/Apple/Google/Honda/whoever directly. The N64 and Gamecube failed at this.
2) Try a wildcard approach, which was successful for the Wii but not so much for the Wii U.
3) Drop out of the hardware business and release their games on other platforms.
4) Devote their resources to fighting off the alien invasion.

ETA:
ATimson wrote: View Post
Nintendo has said in the past that they won't do that, that they'd just drop out of the home console business altogether instead. (They'd still have their strong handheld business to sustain them.)
That's an odd stance for them to take. I can understand why they want to stay in the home console business, but if things got bad enough that they left it I don't see why they'd turn down the opportunity to still make the games. There'd still be an audience for Mario games. I've never been a much of a Nintendo fan (I was a Sega kid) so I'm not willing to buy a Wii U for a handful of Nintendo exclusives, but if their games were on Xbox/Playstarion I'd be temped to pick them up.

Last edited by TheGodBen; June 18 2013 at 06:30 PM.
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 06:58 PM   #85
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Just thought of something. Maybe this is MS's way of getting people over to play on PCs? Silly, I know, but it definitely seems like MS doesn't want people to play console games anymore. But on the other hand, they haven't exactly made a big push for PC gaming as of late either, so maybe it's just a crazy idea.

As for Nintendo, I can understand it. They have too much pride and the last thing they'd want to see is their franchises on other consoles. It would be too humiliating for them. Sega was able to as they had more of a history with arcade games and coin operated games in general, so it was easier for them to refocus.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; June 18 2013 at 07:15 PM.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 07:04 PM   #86
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Nope, it's just MS making clear what it's goal always ways. A box in your livingroom that is does everything, so you use them for all your home entertainment, PC and Phone.
Old June 18 2013, 07:20 PM   #87
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Just thought of something. Maybe this is MS's way of getting people over to play on PCs? Silly, I know, but it definitely seems like MS doesn't want people to play console games anymore.
If that's what they were doing, they wouldn't be buying Xbox One exclusives. And they'd be bringing their games to PC.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 07:22 PM   #88
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

A lot of the Xbox exclusives are PC games too. TitanFall certainly is, and is on Xbox 360 too.
Old June 18 2013, 07:59 PM   #89
RoJoHen
Awesome

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Nope, it's just MS making clear what it's goal always ways. A box in your livingroom that is does everything, so you use them for all your home entertainment, PC and Phone.
Apple should make a gaming console.
Old June 18 2013, 09:11 PM   #90
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Just thought of something. Maybe this is MS's way of getting people over to play on PCs? Silly, I know, but it definitely seems like MS doesn't want people to play console games anymore.
If that's what they were doing, they wouldn't be buying Xbox One exclusives. And they'd be bringing their games to PC.

Yeah, good point. And as I said, there hasn't exactly been a huge focus on PC games by MS as of late.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote