Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 15 2013, 05:43 AM   #106
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Why Let Khan Live?

Wait? What? There is a plot hole in TWOK? Say it ain't so.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 04:33 PM   #107
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Sran wrote:
As a commanding officer, Kirk doesn't have the luxury of making that assumption. As far as he's concerned, Reliant is threat until it's not, Khan or no Khan. Salvaging the vessel would be a distant tertiary concern behind securing the vessel and getting back the Genesis device.
On the contrary, as commanding officer he has the impetus to make considerations like this. The Reliant no longer had any means of attacking as all weapons were off line. It was adrift, inert. Khan was not responsive, so they had no idea if he was still alive. There was no good cause to destroy the ship at that point.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ The Genesis device prevented the transporter from working. Once it's activated, it can't be stopped or beamed away.

Remember Kirk suggested that they beam aboard the Reliant and stop it, and David replied "You can't."
Kirk wanted to beam aboard and stop it, which David said can't be done. He never said that a transporter cannot lock onto it once it is started. It's simply an option that wasn't explored, one that should have been. It would've been just a few seconds of dialog (raising the idea, then finding it's not possible for some specific explanation). That's what gets me in Star Trek, when known techniques to solve a problem aren't given consideration, especially when a technique is easily performed (like using a transporter).
Old June 15 2013, 05:26 PM   #108
starburst
Fleet Captain

All David meant was once started, the process cant be stopped, and as one of the lead scientists who built the device he would know if it was possible to shut it down or not.

If this were nuTrek likely hood is either the nebula or the Genesis device would actually have interfered with the Enterprise transporter anyway.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 05:47 PM   #109
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

I'm sure that the Genesis torpedo's radiation would have prevented the transporter from working against it. They don't need to spell it out onscreen, we can infer it. When was the last time a transporter did manage to lock onto something that generated that much energy? They can't even do it with dilithium...
Old June 15 2013, 07:03 PM   #110
Sran
Commodore

I'm sure that the Genesis torpedo's radiation would have prevented the transporter from working against it. They don't need to spell it out onscreen, we can infer it. When was the last time a transporter did manage to lock onto something that generated that much energy? They can't even do it with dilithium...
What?
Old June 15 2013, 08:28 PM   #111
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

^ Dilithium can't be transported.
Old June 15 2013, 08:31 PM   #112
Sran
Commodore

I wasn't questioning that as I'm aware of it. I was disputing your assessment that we could reasonably conclude Genesis couldn't be beamed off Reliant.

--Sran
Old June 16 2013, 06:50 PM   #113
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Sran wrote: View Post
I wasn't questioning that as I'm aware of it. I was disputing your assessment that we could reasonably conclude Genesis couldn't be beamed off Reliant.
Yes, given how Star Trek typically explores possible avenues of solutions, it's a perfectly good idea to test out. Kirk didn't even know that the Genesis device couldn't be shut down once started, so how could he know that the Genesis device gives off an energy field that transporter beams can't lock onto? My point is that he should have at least asked. Remember Nomad? Beamed into space, despite his enormous system overload. And of course, the idea is not to rematerialize the Genesis device, but simply override the re-energizer and then intentionally scramble the atoms of the Genesis device into a state whereby it can no longer explode.
Old June 16 2013, 08:55 PM   #114
jayrath
Fleet Captain

Kirk wasting bad guys is not what Star Trek is about.

If it were, I would hate it.

Some people here need to rewatch the scene in "The Corbomite Manuever," right before they go over to the alien ship.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 02:03 PM   #115
Timo
Admiral

Umm, what?

Dilithium has been routinely transported in basically every episode featuring it in prop form - sometimes with the transporter operator even unaware that this special material is among the things being transported.

"Mudd's Women": transporter is the supposed means of getting the stuff from the miners.
"Alternative Factor": both of the Lazarus clowns make unauthorized transporter trips to the planet with the stuff. And it's supposed to be a source of power in both cases, so we can't even argue that dilithium only travels in some sort of "inactive" form.
"Elaan of Troyius": Elaan's necklace comes aboard by transporter, and then our heroes realize it's ready-to-use dilithium.

The only things ever quoted as untransportable have been shielded targets or complex, unstable biological substances ("Family Business"), and even that was an issue with an outdated transporter model only...

...as one of the lead scientists who built the device he would know if it was possible to shut it down or not...
Exactly. David says Kirk can't beam over and shut it down. In addition, David is sitting on the bridge of a starship that can blow other starships to smithereens, and neither him nor Kirk can be unaware of the fact that the ship could try to destroy Genesis as well. Since David indicates there is no hope, this course of action is automatically out by his expert opinion. Kirk doesn't need to ask silly questions on exactly why an attempt to destroy Genesis would fail - this would be complete waste of the remaining four minutes, and of audience time as well.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 02:12 PM   #116
Charles Phipps
Commander

Kirk spared Khan because Khan WASN'T Space Hitler but Space Napoleon.
Old June 18 2013, 02:33 PM   #117
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

Sran wrote: View Post
I wasn't questioning that as I'm aware of it.

--Sran
How were you aware of that, since it has been transported in various episodes?

Really wondering where you guys got that tidbit.
Old June 18 2013, 02:37 PM   #118
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Big Daddy wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
Big Daddy wrote: View Post
Look at it this way, would you give a group of Hitlers, Stalins, and Napoleons their very own world? Seems to me it'd be safer just to waste them all.
This is called a "human rights violation." (Or, I suppose in the world of Star Trek, a "sentients' rights violation.") People have the right to live, even if they are monsters; killing someone is only acceptable in the act of immediate self-defense or the immediate defense of others.
Killing a megalomaniac and his followers who have a history of oppressing and killing others and who have shown intent to do so again would constitute killing "in the immediate defense of others" in my book. Sometimes human rights are revocable.
The process through which a persons human rights may be revoked is called a "trial" or similar form of due process. You don't have your inalienable human rights pulled just because somebody decides that you're an asshole.
Old June 18 2013, 03:46 PM   #119
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I thought Into Darkness had already covered that one...
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 04:21 AM   #120
Lance
Commodore

Charles Phipps wrote: View Post
Kirk spared Khan because Khan WASN'T Space Hitler but Space Napoleon.
This.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote