TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 18 2013, 11:47 AM   #31
Pingfah
Admiral

Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

Actually, I have no idea what happens between now and whenever STID is set in Trek history, so i'll have to take your word for that.
Old June 18 2013, 11:51 AM   #32
F. King Daniel
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
But didn't america win all the wars?
Nope. Remember the Union Jack in London? That was the United Earth flag
Old June 18 2013, 12:12 PM   #33
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

All brilliant ideas guys but

1. No no no synthenol

2. No Denobulans - they look weird (just joking about the reason) but no Denobulans

3. Spock can have a pet sehlat or the cat from the Gary 7 episode (a spy cat) Only Spock can have a cat because he's my favourite.

4. They can have lot of food but I want the cubey things from TOS.

5. I in principle agree about Kirk getting a maniacal computer to commit suicide but the boat might have sailed on that one.

6. Kirk should rip his shirt. (optional)

I am going to trademark all these brilliant ideas JJ so don't try to use them without paying me (even the ones I stole off other people)
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 12:46 PM   #34
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Oh I want those cubey thing soooo badly..

It was thrilling to see them on ENT.

RIPPED SHIRT! Also, and this is very important, GREEN SHIRT! Green wrap around shirt. and rip it, rip it good.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 01:48 PM   #35
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
Oh I want those cubey thing soooo badly..

It was thrilling to see them on ENT.

RIPPED SHIRT! Also, and this is very important, GREEN SHIRT! Green wrap around shirt. and rip it, rip it good.
One problem - Is anyone beside Shatner man enough to wear the green wrap??????
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 07:27 PM   #36
Jack Frost
Commodore

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
I want Kirk to talk a computer into committing suicide.

Everybody else wants the Borg, so I say combine the two: They run across a repressive 'paradise' a la "Return of the Archons" and it turns out to be the collective. They assimilate half the Federation before Kirk logics them into destroying themselves.
Somewhere R. Orci just sighed then deleted his first draft of STXIII.

Pingfah wrote: View Post
I disagree. I think they should give Kirk a dog that goes on all their missions with him. Like they go on a mission to Kronos, but it's always slightly slower than everybody else, so they have to keep waiting for it to catch up leading to lots of tense moments where you think maybe Kirk's dog might get killed by a Klingon, or an explosion of some kind.

Also, I think they should show the birth of Picard, and how he grows up to be a dustbin man instead of a Star Fleet captain, but at least he doesn't get stabbed this time, so that's good.

It should star 50 Cent as the leader of the Klingon Empire.

They should add a 7 year old kid with freckles and a bowl haircut for comic relief.
[EM] Impossible, Picard's Grandfather is still in diapers.
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 08:09 PM   #37
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
I want Kirk to talk a computer into committing suicide.

Everybody else wants the Borg, so I say combine the two: They run across a repressive 'paradise' a la "Return of the Archons" and it turns out to be the collective. They assimilate half the Federation before Kirk logics them into destroying themselves.
Make the big showdown a duet aria featuring Kirk and Landru of Borg, and I'm there.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 12:03 AM   #38
greenlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

1) Original stories. No rehash.

2) I may be in the minority here but I'd like to see more of the federation. More ships. More of the different designs. More of the inner workings of the federation (assuming it's well done and not another the-federation-is-corrupt storyline).

3) And most importantly: I'd like to have the technical and canon advisers have some real authority. When a writer/director/producer suggests transwarp beaming or says that 78 decks seems more dramatic, the adviser gets to smack 'em upside the head and make them go sit in the corner.

Also, 4) throw a bunch of money at Rick Sternbach and get him to do a big batch of ship designs. Man, do I miss his stuff.

Last edited by greenlight; June 19 2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: miscapitalization
greenlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 12:05 AM   #39
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

greenlight wrote: View Post

2) I may be in the minority here but I'd like to see more of the federation. More ships. More of the different designs. More of the inner workings of the federation (assuming it's well done and not another the-federation-is-corrupt storyline).

3) And most importantly: I'd like to have the technical and canon advisers have some real authority. When a writer/director/producer suggests transwarp beaming or says that 78 decks seems more dramatic, the adviser gets to smack 'em upside the head and make them go sit in the corner.

Also, 4) throw a bunch of money at Rick Sternbach and get him to do a big batch of ship designs. Man, do I miss his stuff.
Zzzzzzzzzz...

Canon and tech details simply aren't important to drama.
Old June 19 2013, 12:17 AM   #40
Sran
Commodore

Won't attract casual fans with this. And the inner-workings of the Federation aren't interesting unless there is corruption or drama of some sort.

--Sran
Old June 19 2013, 12:18 AM   #41
greenlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

BillJ wrote: View Post

Zzzzzzzzzz...

Canon and tech details simply aren't important to drama.
They are when you get them wrong. One of the most long-standing and legitimate criticisms of ST is lazy writing. When they can't even be bothered to adhere to their own continuity, it diminishes the credibility of the script to anyone who's paying attention. If you're watching a show that's set in Florida, in a single story dwelling, and the lead character goes up two flights of stairs and goes outside into a snowstorm because the writer decided that would be more dramatic and symbolic of the character's struggles, would you dismiss any criticism and say that it's only a TV show and those little details 'aren't important to drama'?
Old June 19 2013, 12:23 AM   #42
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Florida is real, Star Trek is not.

What your proposing is what sunk Trek in the first place. It became insular.
Old June 19 2013, 12:24 AM   #43
greenlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sran wrote: View Post
Won't attract casual fans with this. And the inner-workings of the Federation aren't interesting unless there is corruption or drama of some sort.

--Sran
The reason I've always liked the federation-centric stories is because they were 'cool'. By that I mean that starfleet ships and starfleet bases were places where I wanted to be. They were places where I wanted to spend some time. Not so much with the bumpy-headed aliens of the week. But as I said, I think I may be in the minority.
Old June 19 2013, 01:24 AM   #44
greenlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

BillJ wrote: View Post
Florida is real, Star Trek is not.

What your proposing is what sunk Trek in the first place. It became insular.
Sorry, but the distinction is this: Star Trek is real within the world of Star Trek. I don't care a whit if the Enterprise is 24 decks or 78. But if they spend years showing me a 24 deck ship and then say they're on deck 78, don't criticize me for calling shenanigans on their lazy writing. When they're trading on the equity of 5 different shows and a dozen movies they have some obligations to the continuity that they themselves have established. It's their ball game. They get to make the rules. I just want them to play by those rules. That's not 'insular'.
Old June 19 2013, 01:26 AM   #45
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

I think your being in the minority is a safe bet (not that there's anything wrong with that ).

A lot of the ideas that revolve around exploring the background details of Trek (the Federation, other member planet species, etc.--whatever is not focused on Kirk/Spock and the secondary characters on the ship) would seem better suited to a TV series or novels. It's not that they lack interest per se, but they would be given short shrift in 2-2.5 hours anyway and probably leave those most interested in such topics feeling frustrated. There are many aspects to Trek, but I think there is a much smaller subset of those aspects suited to a cinematic release (at least one that hopes to be reasonably profitable--money isn't everything but it does pay the bills). Just my 2 cents.

As for obligations to continuity--reboots have precious few such obligations. They are more beholden to their own internal continuity (but even that gets sacrificed to the needs of drama--as happens in movies and TV shows all the time).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote