RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,676
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 552
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 18 2013, 06:14 AM   #361
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Just saw it and loved it. I've been skimming this thread and lot of people seem to be chanting "Superman never kills" like it's some kind of mantra, but Byrne had Superman execute three Kryptonions all the way back in 1988 in Superman # 22 (Vol. 2).
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 06:22 AM   #362
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

And he was so fucked up over that that he exiled himself into space which opened a can of worms with Mongul. If Superman could have just gotten over himself, owned what he did, Coast City would have been fine and Hal Jordan would not have decimated the Green Lantern Corps.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 06:26 AM   #363
Goji
Rear Admiral

I was thinking that these super hero movies keep looking more and more like Godzilla movies, minus the rubber suits and models of course, and that series came about as a result of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Seeing it again (and even the first time), I had to chuckle a bit at Jor-El's "You can save all of them" line to Kal. Yeah... about that, dad. It's a nice sentiment, but I think you meant "most of them". Some of them are going to get crushed pretty badly.
Old June 18 2013, 06:26 AM   #364
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I didn't say the act was consequence free, I just felt it needed to be pointed out that in some cases even Superman feels lethal force is justified.
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 06:47 AM   #365
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Goji wrote: View Post
Seeing it again (and even the first time), I had to chuckle a bit at Jor-El's "You can save all of them" line to Kal. Yeah... about that, dad. It's a nice sentiment, but I think you meant "most of them". Some of them are going to get crushed pretty badly.
On a planet with a population of seven billion threatened with complete extinction, if ten thousand died he saved 99.9999% of them. You're selling it pretty short by describing it merely as "most of them."
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 06:50 AM   #366
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

That Superman was a couple reboots ago.

I think the current "Kal-El" since the New 52, is more pragmatic, not that I can think of any situation where he's cited that he will never kill when it looked like a realistic option, because %100 percent of the story telling so far has been disposable drenn.

Hellespont, who seems a little more powerful than Superman, as well as being the Emperor of the Daemonite Empire was being troublesome recently. You're not going to stop something like that with out a catastrophic loss of life.

Old June 18 2013, 06:51 AM   #367
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Captrek wrote: View Post
Goji wrote: View Post
On a planet with a population of seven billion threatened with complete extinction, if ten thousand died he saved 99.9999% of them. You're selling it pretty short by describing it merely as "most of them."
You're counting nonAmericans.

Old June 18 2013, 06:53 AM   #368
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Just saw it and loved it. I've been skimming this thread and lot of people seem to be chanting "Superman never kills" like it's some kind of mantra, but Byrne had Superman execute three Kryptonions all the way back in 1988 in Superman # 22 (Vol. 2).
Plus, Superman presumably killed the depowered Zod, Ursa, and Non in Superman II when he threw them down in the ice pits.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 08:02 AM   #369
Dream
Admiral

Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 08:20 AM   #370
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
And he was so fucked up over that that he exiled himself into space which opened a can of worms with Mongul. If Superman could have just gotten over himself, owned what he did, Coast City would have been fine and Hal Jordan would not have decimated the Green Lantern Corps.
Guy I think you have confused things. Coast City was destroyed post-Superman vs Doomsday. Supes was dead at the time and everyone believed the Cyborg Superman was the real one. Cyborg Supes blasted through the Eradicator and decimated Coast City. Which lead to Hal Jordan going mad with grief and becoming Parallax.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 08:36 AM   #371
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Just saw it. I was waiting for someone to say "One shall stand, one shall fall" at the end, and for Starscream to come down and kick ass. At least he's not as boring or as childish as Shannon's take on Zod.
Old June 18 2013, 08:53 AM   #372
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Plus, Superman presumably killed the depowered Zod, Ursa, and Non in Superman II when he threw them down in the ice pits.
Actually, I think Superman kills Zod, Non accidentally kills himself, and Lois kills Ursa. It's a helluva day in the Fortress of Solitude!
Old June 18 2013, 09:35 AM   #373
Captrek
Rear Admiral

A deleted scene shows the arctic police taking Luthor and the depowered Kryptonians away, alive and in custody. If the bottom of the pits are covered in deep snow, their survival is plausible.

Even if we assume they died, he didn't kill Ursa.
Old June 18 2013, 09:38 AM   #374
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Captrek wrote: View Post
A deleted scene shows the arctic police taking Luthor and the depowered Kryptonians away (alive and in custody). If the bottom of the pits are covered in deep snow, their survival is plausible.

Even if we assume they died, he didn't kill Ursa.
Deleted scene is deleted. With nothing else to think, we are led to the default interpretation that they are all three KIA.
Old June 18 2013, 09:49 AM   #375
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Ack! I didn't see that you beat me to the comment about not killing Ursa.

I do think he's responsible for Non. He saw what was about to happen and from his position could easily have saved him, but he just stood there and smirked.

Deleted scene is deleted.
It's un-deleted in the ADigitalMan cut. Though not an official release, it's my favorite version of the film.