Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 17 2013, 06:52 PM   #631
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

And just for fun, here is the entire lobby/plaza with a 2379.75' Enterprise and an 8' corridor ceiling height. Keep in mind that this is Tobias Richter's Enterprise model and not ILM's, and a guess of the set scale.
I actually used the set schematics, and with an 8' ceiling height, the plaza bridge is about 9m long, and the dome is probably about 16m across. That puts the ship at around 450m.

By the way, in your "stacked plaza" diagram above, the windows on the rim fall between decks. Also, the dome doesn't cover out to the branching corridors. It extends just over the circular (wrap-around) corridor. So, you've scaled the plaza too small.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 07:05 PM   #632
F. King Daniel
Admiral

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
I actually used the set schematics, and with an 8' ceiling height, the plaza bridge is about 9m long, and the dome is probably about 16m across. That puts the ship at around 450m.
Show us, please. Enough vague claims.
By the way, in your "stacked plaza" diagram above, the windows on the rim fall between decks.
As I said, estimated corridor height and a fan-made Enterprise model.
Also, the dome doesn't cover out to the branching corridors. It extends just over the circular (wrap-around) corridor. So, you've scaled the plaza too small.
I didn't include the branching corridors. The scale ia written on the diagram.
Old June 17 2013, 07:39 PM   #633
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
And just for fun, here is the entire lobby/plaza with a 2379.75' Enterprise and an 8' corridor ceiling height.
It seems to me you have the plaza itself a little bit too wide in this diagram. My impression is that the corridors themselves fit ENTIRELY beneath the dome with room to spare and that the top level is actually more of a wide catwalk, probably with some benches or couches for people to look up at the stars planetarium style.

I think it would work better -- especially in relation to the bridge deck -- if you shrunk it down a bit (of course, you did it "just for fun" but there's my two cents ).
Old June 17 2013, 09:22 PM   #634
F. King Daniel
Admiral

It's kind of hard to describe, but I think the row of lights around the edge of the dome seen in the top picture is the outer ring of lights around the ceiling of each oval corridor (these lights are shown on the plan view diagram). I didn't cut the top off the uppermost deck in the side view to reflect this.

Here's the set, if anyone else wants to give it a go:

Sadly there isn't a higher-definition version available.
Old June 17 2013, 10:56 PM   #635
Belz...
Fleet Captain

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Which, even if true, isn't 300m.
Old June 18 2013, 12:37 AM   #636
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Kevman7987 wrote: View Post
And why is the Enterprise traveling through gelatin in this picture?!
Made me think of INNERSPACE, though the shots in that were a little more clear I think. Maybe concept art for the abrams version of IMMUNITY SYNDROME or ONE LITTLE SHIP?
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 02:12 AM   #637
throwback
Captain

I know that aesthetically that the "plaza" looks COOL. What would be the in-universe explanation for this "plaza"? I am not being facetious here; I am attempting to understand this ship.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 02:37 AM   #638
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

throwback wrote: View Post
I know that aesthetically that the "plaza" looks COOL. What would be the in-universe explanation for this "plaza"? I am not being facetious here; I am attempting to understand this ship.
I guess it's purpose is likely to impress people who haven't seen that type of structure on a starship before. Remember, in the first film, Pike called the Enterprise "our newest flagship".

So in-universe and out, its' function is to look "COOL".
Old June 18 2013, 02:51 AM   #639
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

throwback wrote: View Post
If power to the whole ship were lost (similar to TNG - Disaster) it would give you the ability to access all decks on the saucer. I'm guessing there's probably some sort of ladder or emergency slide/chute access in the sides somewhere.

It might also be the central atrium around which the main computer core is wrapped, with entrances to the computer core access rooms along the rim.

Old June 18 2013, 02:55 AM   #640
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
If power to the whole ship were lost (similar to TNG - Disaster) it would give you the ability to access all decks on the saucer. I'm guessing there's probably some sort of ladder or emergency slide/chute access in the sides somewhere.

It might also be the central atrium around which the main computer core is wrapped, with entrances to the computer core access rooms along the rim.
Your guesses are much better than mine.
Old June 18 2013, 02:58 AM   #641
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Wow great catch. I like it.
Old June 19 2013, 04:58 PM   #642
B.J.
Rear Admiral

The only function of the atrium, IMO, is for the psychological health of the crew. Would you want to be stuck inside the same corridors day after day, with no variation, and no open areas?
Old June 19 2013, 06:32 PM   #643
Jack Frost
Commodore

Well, (I think the atrium is cool but) as far wide open areas go, check out the view out a window!
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 06:44 PM   #644
beamMe
Fleet Captain

The Keeper wrote: View Post
Well, (I think the atrium is cool but) as far wide open areas go, check out the view out a window!
Which wouldn't be all that great in outer space; lots and lots of black emptiness, a dark void of nothingness, an endless chasm of ... I'll go for a walk in the atrium.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 01:19 AM   #645
trevanian
Rear Admiral

beamMe wrote: View Post
The Keeper wrote: View Post
Which wouldn't be all that great in outer space; lots and lots of black emptiness, a dark void of nothingness, an endless chasm of ... I'll go for a walk in the atrium.
Really? Pretty much every warpstreak effect looks to me like an awesome screensaver. Would be more fun than just looking down or up a donuthole that likely comes off as a poor architect's version of the Museum of Modern Art building.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote