Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 17 2013, 09:14 PM   #1
tmosler
Lieutenant Commander

what do people want star trek 3 to be like

So its been a few weeks since star trek into darkness was released and most fans liked it (like i did ) but many hated it such with the star trek 2009. So I have heard what people dislike or like about the movie but I started this thread to see what people would like changed in star trek 3. I know a lot of the fans who dislike the reboot dont like jj abrams directing so now that hes leaving what do people think the new director should do differently?
tmosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 10:31 PM   #2
Candlefright
Admiral

Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

I liked the 2009 movie. I thought Into Darkness was flat and meandered quite a bit, full of plot holes and catered for homages to past movies rather than doing something new.

I want a Klingon war for ST3.
Old June 17 2013, 10:32 PM   #3
Sran
Fleet Captain

Nonexistent.

--Sran
Old June 17 2013, 10:32 PM   #4
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

tmosler wrote: View Post
So I have heard what people dislike or like about the movie but I started this thread to see what people would like changed in star trek 3.
We've got a couple of threads sort of addressing that already:

Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Developments you'd like to see in the NTrekverse
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 10:45 PM   #5
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I want it to be like Bono dressed as a Barnum and Bailey master of ceremonies in a Bugatti Veyron whipping donuts in the Sahara.

Layers of awesome.
Old June 17 2013, 11:41 PM   #6
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

People wanted Khan, and Khan turned out to be the weak link in the movie. So now I want them to ignore what people want.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 11:52 PM   #7
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

-Brett- and a few noisy others didn't want Khan, and yet Khan has turned out to be one of the best screen villains in recent screen history, and most of the audience members who've been interviewed about it cite both Khan and the actor who played him, as virtually making the movie. So from now on, I want tptb to continue to ignore what Trekkies like -Brett- want.
Old June 17 2013, 11:59 PM   #8
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
I liked the 2009 movie. I thought Into Darkness was flat and meandered quite a bit, full of plot holes and catered for homages to past movies rather than doing something new.
You want all new stuff! No more rehashes!
I want a Klingon war for ST3.
You want them to rehash stuff from DS9!

Make up your mind
Old June 18 2013, 12:00 AM   #9
Sran
Fleet Captain

chardman wrote: View Post
-Brett- and a few noisy others didn't want Khan, and yet Khan has turned out to be one of the best screen villains in recent screen history, and most of the audience members who've been interviewed about it cite both Khan and the actor who played him, as virtually making the movie. So from now on, I want tptb to continue to ignore what Trekkies like -Brett- want.
Except that the Khan of 2013 didn't compare to the Khan of 1982. People who think Cumberpatch is the greatest thing since sliced bread only do so because he's a recent character portrayal.

--Sran
Old June 18 2013, 12:25 AM   #10
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Sran wrote: View Post
chardman wrote: View Post
Except that the Khan of 2013 didn't compare to the Khan of 1982. People who think Cumberpatch is the greatest thing since sliced bread only do so because he's a recent character portrayal.

--Sran
No.

Cumberbatch is a far more versatile and talented actors than Montalban was. I quite enjoy WOK and I remember seeing it at the cinema in 1982. Was watching TOS for about a decade by then. And I still prefer 2013 Khan to 1982/1967 Khan. So your attempt to speak for more than yourself fails (as it does all the other tiresome times some posters here do so).

As for what I'd like in the next film? More of the same in terms of fun and entertainment. As for specifics--something unknown that may or may not be hostile that forces the crew to work with an enemy (doesn't matter which one) to resolve the problem. Allows for action, adventure, exploration, a bit of philosophy and a less earth-centric story (a minor gripe I have with the two films so far). I also want another mid-stream opening adventure--it's the best way, in a movie series, to suggest a broader background for the characters.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 12:31 AM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

If the next film is the last one from Bad Robot, I want them to pull out all the stops.

Bring on the Borg.
Old June 18 2013, 12:32 AM   #12
Sran
Fleet Captain

Ovation wrote: View Post
Cumberbatch is a far more versatile and talented actors than Montalban was.
Because you say so. End of discussion.

--Sran
Old June 18 2013, 12:32 AM   #13
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

-Brett- wrote: View Post
People wanted Khan, and Khan turned out to be the weak link in the movie. So now I want them to ignore what people want.
From what I gathered, people EXPECTED Khan, but didn't neccessarily WANT Khan.

Ovation wrote: View Post
No.

Cumberbatch is a far more versatile and talented actors than Montalban was. I quite enjoy WOK and I remember seeing it at the cinema in 1982. Was watching TOS for about a decade by then. And I still prefer 2013 Khan to 1982/1967 Khan. So your attempt to speak for more than yourself fails (as it does all the other tiresome times some posters here do so).
Now let's not shit on the actor just to elevate some film. For a hispanic actor born in the 1920s, Montalbans body of work in American TV and film is absolutely incredible.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 12:34 AM   #14
Sran
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Absolutely. Most people I talked to were hoping for a villain- any villain- who wasn't Khan.

--Sran
Old June 18 2013, 12:36 AM   #15
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Sran wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Absolutely. Most people I talked to were hoping for a villain- any villain- who wasn't Khan.

--Sran
Most people I talked too didn't care who the villain was as long as the movie was good.